I cant lose weight. How can I lose weight?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Inedible

Re: I cant lose weight. How can I lose weight?

Post by Inedible »

The book Breath by James Nestor said that for every ten pounds of fat one loses over eight of them leave the body by way of the breath. When oxygen is taken in and used, it leaves with a carbon atom. This adds up to a significant amount. You can do more for your metabolism and weight by learning new breathing habits than by changing how you eat.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Inedible wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:32 am The book Breath by James Nestor said that for every ten pounds of fat one loses over eight of them leave the body by way of the breath. When oxygen is taken in and used, it leaves with a carbon atom. This adds up to a significant amount. You can do more for your metabolism and weight by learning new breathing habits than by changing how you eat.
:jawdrop:

:rolleye:

:alien:

:toilet:

In words: absolute rubbish.

:coffee:
Kim
Ionbuddy

Post by Ionbuddy »

Kim OHara wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:49 am
Inedible wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:32 am The book Breath by James Nestor said that for every ten pounds of fat one loses over eight of them leave the body by way of the breath. When oxygen is taken in and used, it leaves with a carbon atom. This adds up to a significant amount. You can do more for your metabolism and weight by learning new breathing habits than by changing how you eat.
:jawdrop:

:rolleye:

:alien:

:toilet:

In words: absolute rubbish.

Kim
:rofl:
I still have defilements.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

sphairos wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:49 pm Anyway, stop eating sugar. Not more than 20g a day. This alone will easily make you lose 10-15 kg.
:goodpost:
Samana_Johann

Post by Samana_Johann »

Practice the Dhamma serious, follow Brahmacaria, based on metta, sammāsaṅkappo, knowing ones pleasure is another ones pain, death...seeing the corpse in evey food, the pain, ones mother, child... just a blind is able to rejoice on food but someone knowing the Dhamma, would just use it to cross the flood.

And: "If beings would know and understand kamma, they wouldn't eat before not all others hunger is stilled. But because they don't they are eating first"

Or simply relay in addition of what is given.

All a matter of Sila, based on right view or just that common simply fitness, wellness: for an increase of sufdering on both sides. The training of fools.

And what is the cause of right view, metta, conditions for Sila arise?

Seeing eye and form, ear and sound... mind and toughts, touch, feeling, what ever arises there, isn't real, subject to decay, one, if a little wise, gets disenchanted toward the senses and objects and has no more reason to hurt himself or others in fight for what has no worth, seeing others like ants fighting about a peace of dung.

It's therefore that people with metta walk and don't seek for a ride to cross over for no more return.
Neither invited nor member of the community here, but the here given as received: Dhamma-dana
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Kim OHara wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:49 am absolute rubbish.
Have you already read the book? Did you disagree with something in it?
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Inedible wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:31 am
Kim OHara wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:49 am absolute rubbish.
Have you already read the book?
No. I don't need to after what you said.
Did you disagree with something in it?
I probably disagree with almost everything in it if your intro to sums it up accurately.
Of course, if you got it wrong, Nestor may (just possibly) have got a few things right.
But I'm not holding my breath waiting to find out. :tongue:

Kim
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

If you only want to read what you already believe there is nothing I can do about it.
Ionbuddy

Post by Ionbuddy »

Inedible wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:57 pm If you only want to read what you already believe there is nothing I can do about it.
The only thing that you'll change by breathing differently is the carbon dioxide levels in your blood. While it is true that weight is mainly lost through breath, you cannot change the amount of carbon dioxide produced in your body without exercising.

Imagine the carbon dioxide is like a pool. Breathing faster is like putting a bigger hole to empty out the pool faster. However, imagine your weight is like a refrigerated giant tank filled with solid ice. You have to melt the ice first before dumping it into the pool. Simply draining the pool out faster won't empty out the tank faster. Exactly like that you can't breathe differently, faster or slower, and change the amount of weight on your body.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

The brain regulates how much carbon dioxide is in the blood. Most people breathe too much volume per minute and it flushes out too much carbon dioxide. The blood releases oxygen to tissues where it finds carbon dioxide because it does not waste resources. It isn't easy or comfortable, but it is possible to train the brain to allow higher levels of carbon dioxide. The most important step is to ensure that you never breathe through your mouth. This includes during sleep. Some people go as far as to say keep your mouth closed even during exercise.
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

when one lives a slothful undisciplined life the habit is to overindulge in food. the tendency is to like and wolf down fattening deep fried foods, highly processed 'junk foods'. Any attempt to moderate is quickly abandoned.

when one starts to become aware one starts to favour healthier foods. Cooked meals with flavour with raw vegetables on the side and occasional indulgences in fatty foods. While the eating is with more consciousness, attempts to moderate and loose weigh are still difficult and take an amount of discipline.

when one is seriously practising meditation it becomes obvious that moderating food intake is very helpful.
in turn the moderating allows one to see and abandon tendencies to overindulge.
as the palate is cleansed, the liking for strongly flavoured, processed, foods decline and a liking for simple foods develop. .raw vegetables, lightly cooked, lightly flavoured.
at the same time, should circumstances demand one partakes in the grosser foods the ability to return to a moderate diet is established.

there are ways, along with meditation, that help in establishing a sane approach to eating

for example, the left to right diet.(or right to left, up down...) where one always eats from one side of the plate to the other and never skips over anything in order to get to the 'goodies'.

chew thoroughly and slowly so the tendency to notice when one is getting full is developed.

stop eating before full and fill up with water. dump excess food, wash plate and walk away and brush teeth.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Often it seems to me that when a person asks for help or advice around here it comes served with a lot of judgment and assumptions. Please try to be nicer about it. We all know about eating better and exercising more. Excess weight is frequently assumed to be a result of character flaws, but there are many more factors involved.

And try to get enough sleep. It helps regulate moods and blood sugar levels. Signals about being tired can seem to be hunger instead.

Staying hydrated is important. Headaches and fatigue can be signs of low level dehydration. Hunger, too. We get a lot of our water from food.
Ionbuddy

Post by Ionbuddy »

Inedible wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:39 am The brain regulates how much carbon dioxide is in the blood. Most people breathe too much volume per minute and it flushes out too much carbon dioxide. The blood releases oxygen to tissues where it finds carbon dioxide because it does not waste resources. It isn't easy or comfortable, but it is possible to train the brain to allow higher levels of carbon dioxide. The most important step is to ensure that you never breathe through your mouth. This includes during sleep. Some people go as far as to say keep your mouth closed even during exercise.
I'm sorry, but you're simply just wrong.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Cite some sources. Otherwise it just ends up with us going back and forth. For the record you are wrong.
coconut

Post by coconut »

Inedible wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:48 am Cite some sources. Otherwise it just ends up with us going back and forth. For the record you are wrong.
Inedible wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:39 am The brain regulates how much carbon dioxide is in the blood. Most people breathe too much volume per minute and it flushes out too much carbon dioxide. The blood releases oxygen to tissues where it finds carbon dioxide because it does not waste resources. It isn't easy or comfortable, but it is possible to train the brain to allow higher levels of carbon dioxide. The most important step is to ensure that you never breathe through your mouth. This includes during sleep. Some people go as far as to say keep your mouth closed even during exercise.

You want to breath in a lot of oxygen. Increased lung capacity is associated with longevity and health. Swimming in natural lakes (no cholorine) is one of the healthiest things you can do for your longevity as the water pressure increases your lung capacity which increases oxygen intake. This is why HBOT (Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy) is used in conjunction with cancer treatments as it boosts the effectivity of treatment and healing.

My spouses grandmother is 97 and has been swimming three times a week, every week, for her whole life. She also eats little so she's thin.

Telling people to reduce their lung capacity is a terrible idea.

Also, people are mouth breathers because their jaws and facial structure are undeveloped, which is why we need to eat meat, as meat requires chewing more and harder which develops the jaw and allows people to become nose breathers.

Hence "mouth breather" is a derogative term for someone who is stupid, because they don't get enough oxygen to the brain.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-35766760

https://www.ericdavisdental.com/facial- ... ght-teeth/