I cant lose weight. How can I lose weight?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Ionbuddy

Re: I cant lose weight. How can I lose weight?

Post by Ionbuddy »

Inedible wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:48 am Cite some sources. Otherwise it just ends up with us going back and forth. For the record you are wrong.
You're the one claiming that breathing has a direct impact on metabolism. So you have the burden of proof on your hands, not me. By what mechanism can simple breathing increase metabolism? Huh? You're speaking complete nonsense! Next you're going to tell me you're pranic feeder! No one should listen to this crap.

I'm starting to get a headache. I think I'm done.
I still have defilements.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

The book I suggested talked about all of that. It is the most complete single source I have ever read on the impact of breathing.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Inedible wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:12 am The book I suggested talked about all of that. It is the most complete single source I have ever read on the impact of breathing.

But I have a much better book than yours. Mine is true!
:smile:

:coffee:
Kim
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

weight loss as an analogy for abandoning lust...

one sure way to lose weight is to stop eating.

consider what happens when the intake of food is halted.

when a need for food arises, the stored up nutriments in fat start to be consumed, the bones are leached, various organs start to be consumed until the body dies.

similarly the tendency to delight in pleasant feelings can be seen as feeding.

abandoning the tendency to delight in pleasant feelings is akin to fasting.

the very same process starts where the old tendencies to delight in pleasant feelings (kamma resultants) rise and pass away without being re-acted to. this is akin to the natural consumption of stored nutriments as a result of not eating.

in time the tendencies are all consumed. this is enlightenment.

so, intellectually the answer is simple. stop delighting in pleasant feelings. however, in practice (which is the proof of the pudding, (not any kind of mental gymnastics. the mind chatter is also to be abandoned)) this is not easy. this is where the teachings of the Buddha in the transmitted canons are helpful.

it's of paramount importance not to neglect the silas because by diligently attending to them there is less nutriment consumption in the form of sense indulgence. Patient continuous diligent practice

in the Chachakka Sutta the path is plainly described : mindfulness of feelings are the point at which stepping off the wheel of becoming is possible.

the way this is done is to, as the Buddha clearly explains in the Satipatthana Sutta, train to continually note the present moments eye ear nose tongue body mind feelings in a non-judgemental way, like someone looking in a bag of mixed grains and just notes, this is wheat, this is rice, and so on. recognising the truth of the moment. a thought has arisen, it passes...just a 'this' knowing.

in this way the feeding stops and the abandoning starts.
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
Gwi

Post by Gwi »

JC938 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:13 am Hi,

I weight 84 kg. I want to weight 60 kg. Got to lose 24 kg.

I have diet plan. Few days ago, I successfully followed my diet for 5 days straight. But now I keep breaking diet. I see tasty food and I couldnt control. How do I control.

Thanks.
Fasting routine, simple
Bahagia Tidak Harus Selalu Bersama

Dhammapadå 370
"Tinggalkanlah 5 (belantara) dan patahkan 5 (belenggu rendah),
Serta kembangkan 5 potensi (4 iddhipādā + 1 ussoḷhi).
Bhikkhu yang telah menaklukkan 5 kungkungan (belenggu tinggi),
Lebih layak disebut 'orang yang telah mengarungi air baih (saṃsārå)'."
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn03/sn03.013.olen.html wrote:When a person is constantly mindful,
And knows when enough food has been taken,
All their afflictions become more slender
— They age more gradually, protecting their lives.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn03/sn03.013.wlsh.html wrote:Those who always dwell in mindfulness,
Observing measure in the food they eat,
Find that their discomfort[2] grows the less.
Aging gently, life for them is long.
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
greentea

Post by greentea »

JC938 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:13 am Hi,

I weight 84 kg. I want to weight 60 kg. Got to lose 24 kg.

I have diet plan. Few days ago, I successfully followed my diet for 5 days straight. But now I keep breaking diet. I see tasty food and I couldnt control. How do I control.

Thanks.
CICO
Calories In, Calories Out
Check what your tdee is and simply eat 500 calories less for weight loss.
Your diet should not be restrictive, I think that's why you overate. I overate one time and I ended up eating 1000 calories more than my daily calories.
Let us say that tasty food you want is a fast food burger, most fast food is made with filler that adds on calories even vegan burgers are calories bombs too. You can cook at home and you are in control what goes thus you can make it have less calories. Why not have 2 sliders instead of a burger,too? You can technically have the cake and still lose weight, it just needs to be a small one.
Olive00

Post by Olive00 »

Diets are no longer considered useful and effective. Because even if you lose a little weight, there is a chance that after returning to a regular food, you will gain weight back or even more. And your body will experience great stress. The best diet is a proper balanced nutrition. You can sometimes afford a little of your favorite junk food. Then there is a chance that this useful habit will stay with you for life. Proper nutrition will be good for your figure, and for your skin, and for your hair, and for your well-being. Don't demand too much from yourself at first. Do everything gradually and then you will do it.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

The Blessed One wrote:And since form is not-self, so it leads to affliction, and none can have it of form: 'Let my form be thus, let my form be not thus.'
Anatta-lakkhana Sutta
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
confusedsoso

Post by confusedsoso »

I have lost 80 pounds from 220 to 140. Get 7 to 8 hours of sleep every night. Exercise for 30 minutes for five days a week, rest for two days. Go on a diet with at least 5 servings of fruit, 5 servings of vegetables, non fat yogurt, non fat milk, non fat cottage cheese, 100 percent whole wheat bread, oatmeal, pasta and sauce, a moderate amount of chicken and low sodium beans everyday. Stay away from saturated fats, cholesterol, too much processed sugar. Keep the sodium low. If you cant change your lifestyle with diet and exercise and maintain it eventually you'll gain back any weight you have lost. And don't forget a serving of fish once a week. Keep junk food to a lowest minimal. Good luck.
JohnSo

Post by JohnSo »

I see. It means you cannot control your eating habit in a food-haven.

If you lack the ability to control your mind, then control your environment.

1. Clear the house or your room from any food, snacks & drinks.

2. If you cannot control your environment because somebody else control it, than find a place where you can have your own authority.

3. If you have no authority nowhere, then find other place that someone have control of the environment favourable to your diet. Perhaps a monastery or a meditation center where no food can be found outside the eating hours.

Remember, even The Buddha urge us to perform Intermitent-Fasting-Diet. A-once-a-day regime or at least Twice-a-day-eating-regime as told to Bhadalli.

Good luck.