I want to stop taking clozapine and the injection for (Schizophrenia)

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
JC938

I want to stop taking clozapine and the injection for (Schizophrenia)

Post by JC938 »

Hi,

I have been taking clozapine and apsychotic injection which treats schizophrenia for a very long time. I feel like stop taking it because I believe all medicines will have side effects, maybe to my kidneys, to my brain, to my liver, wouldn't it effect them?

First time I had schizophrenia was 2009, then I had it again in 2015, and again in 2017.

But I'm ok now, but I feel like stopping medication. I have ask my doctor several times but he would always say "continue it" everytime.

Can anyone please advice me if I can stop it? Should I stop it?

Thanks.
DooDoot

Re: I want to stop taking clozapine and the injection for (Schizophrenia)

Post by DooDoot »

JC938 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:31 pm But I'm ok now, but I feel like stopping medication. I have ask my doctor several times but he would always say "continue it" everytime.
Hello JC. I imagine you should find a new doctor or organization that specializes in or is comfortable with the idea of assisting a reduction and withdrawal from medication. Obviously such as doctor or organization would have a very holistic approach.

Kind regards and best wishes
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

I'm not a doctor.
BUT I've had buddies who've stopped their clozapine and they've ALL relapsed and had to be hospitalized.
The only time they have problems with their mental health is when they stop taking their meds.
Do what your doctor says, that's what I say.
sphairos

Post by sphairos »

Please, take the medications. The last break was not long ago. You need a stable remission, that would last a significant period of time (perhaps, 10 years or so), and that would be confirmed by your doctor. The new medications for that disease are very safe.

Where are you from?
How good and wonderful are your days,
How true are your ways?
48vows

Post by 48vows »

Please talk to an expert professional.

This site is not a good place for this advice.
befriend

Post by befriend »

:goodpost:
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
JC938

Post by JC938 »

Thanks everyone.

sphairos - I'm from Thailand.
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

JC938 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:31 pm Hi,

I have been taking clozapine and apsychotic injection which treats schizophrenia for a very long time. I feel like stop taking it because I believe all medicines will have side effects, maybe to my kidneys, to my brain, to my liver, wouldn't it effect them?

First time I had schizophrenia was 2009, then I had it again in 2015, and again in 2017.

But I'm ok now, but I feel like stopping medication. I have ask my doctor several times but he would always say "continue it" everytime.

Thanks.
Schizophrenia has no cure. So if you’ve had outbursts of it periodically throughout the years - that’s just an indication that your meds need adjusting.

I was on clozapine but my white blood cell count fell to dangerous levels and the medicine is known to cause granular cytosis - which will kill you.

The delayed release injections are another crappy way to interfere with your life and have you come into the blood work place to get a weekly shot in the butt. I don’t buy the science of it anyway.

When doctors in my case gave up on finding the right meds for me they offered me the chance to make my own prescription - which I did.

300 mg of quetiapine at night
50 mg of the same in the morning
50 at noon
50 at dinner time.

1 mg of clonazepam morning, noon, and night.

13 years on this regiment and my only relapse came when I thought I was doing so well, I stopped taking my meds and decomensated.

Therefore - do NOT stop your meds. You HAVE schizophrenia and you WILL decomensate and wind up in a psych. Ward where they will specifically try to give you long release injections because (in particular) you are not compliant with taking meds. It’s the psychiatric community’s little way of penalizing you and making you less human.

However - DO discuss medication alternatives. AFAIK - there have even been some recent breakthroughs with schizophrenia meds.

Most antipsychotics target dopamine receptors. However there are new drugs coming to market that also target serotonin receptors.

Ask your doctor. Make an informed decision. But stay on your meds.

That’s my advice.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

JC938 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:31 pm Should I stop it?
I expect that will make things worse
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Follow your doctors advice or, if you are unhappy, seek a second opinion from another doctor. Never get medical advice from forums.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Off-topic squabbling and psychoanalysis removed.

:offtopic:

If you don't like the topic, don't read it.

:thanks:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Pondera wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:37 am

Thanks.
Schizophrenia has no cure. So if you’ve had outbursts of it periodically throughout the years - that’s just an indication that your meds need adjusting.

I was on clozapine but my white blood cell count fell to dangerous levels and the medicine is known to cause granular cytosis - which will kill you.

The delayed release injections are another crappy way to interfere with your life and have you come into the blood work place to get a weekly shot in the butt. I don’t buy the science of it anyway.

When doctors in my case gave up on finding the right meds for me they offered me the chance to make my own prescription - which I did.

50 at noon
50 at dinner time.

13 years on this regiment and my only relapse came when I thought I was doing so well, I stopped taking my meds and decomensated.

Therefore - do NOT stop your meds. You HAVE schizophrenia and you WILL decomensate and wind up in a psych. Ward where they will specifically try to give you long release injections because (in particular) you are not compliant with taking meds. It’s the psychiatric community’s little way of penalizing you and making you less human.

However - DO discuss medication alternatives. AFAIK - there have even been some recent breakthroughs with schizophrenia meds.

Most antipsychotics target dopamine receptors. However there are new drugs coming to market that also target serotonin receptors.

That’s my advice.
Good advice. Just curious, are there support groups for people suffering from schizophrenia?
Buddha save me from new-agers!
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

48vows wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:56 pm Please talk to an expert professional.

Exactly.

Listen to your doctor. If you have schizophrenia you can't trust your mind too much.
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Spiny Norman wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:36 pm
Pondera wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:37 am

Thanks.

50 at noon
50 at dinner time.

That’s my advice.
Good advice. Just curious, are there support groups for people suffering from schizophrenia?
There definitely are. Early on in my illness i attended a well managed group for 20 somethings with schizophrenia. It’s weird, but no two people have the same type of schizophrenia. So, whereas you can’t necessarily relate to the people in the group in terms of symptoms - you can meet interesting people and form friendships.

Some people have a good recovery and some don’t. At this stage in my life my recovery has allowed me to work full time, manage a stable relationship, pay a mortgage ... etc.

I’m simply to busy to attend support groups at this stage in my life. I did benefit from it as a 20 something however.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

dharmacorps wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:02 pm
48vows wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:56 pm Please talk to an expert professional.

Exactly.

Listen to your doctor. If you have schizophrenia you can't trust your mind too much.
"Your doctor" is not the same as "expert professional". There are different doctors & different expert professionals. A person with doubts about their treatment options should search for & consult a different doctor.
Pondera wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:21 pm ...
Excellent posts. :thumbsup:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati