The Magic of Mushrooms - A Psilocybin Renaissance

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Kim OHara

Re: The Magic of Mushrooms - A Psilocybin Renaissance

Post by Kim OHara »

:rofl:

All I was trying to do was to remind you - yes, just you, DD, not "Buddhist forums" - that most lay Buddhists do in fact drink alcohol pretty regularly, in spite of the Precepts. (Most lay Christians steal, too, and covet, and break others of the Commandments, and many Muslims also drink alcohol, and Jews eat pork.)
Deal with it.

:coffee:
Kim
Dhamma Chameleon

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

DooDoot wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:08 am Sounds like your own ideas. It appears a practicing Buddhist or "lay follower" takes the precepts. What would it mean for a lay follower to take the Triple Refuge but not follow the 5 precepts, particularly the Dhamma refuge? Why would a Buddhist lay follower follow a course of action that leads to hell? :shrug:
Not my own idea, but Ajahn Thanissaro's
The Buddha was not the sort of person who simply saddled you with commandments about what you should and shouldn't do. Instead, he placed a condition on his shoulds. He said that if you want true happiness, this is what you need to do, based on how cause and effect work. The duties he teaches are the duties in the four noble truths: to comprehend suffering, to abandon its cause, to realize the cessation, and to develop the path to that cessation. These are friendly duties because they aim at your genuine happiness.
I have taken 4 precepts and as far as I'm aware this is perfectly acceptable for a lay follower. In fact it's better not to take a precept you know you will break, than to take it and then break it.
Last edited by Dhamma Chameleon on Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

SarathW wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:11 pm The Magic of Mushrooms - A Psilocybin Renaissance.
Are these claims sounds valid?
It seems you are interested in things that are not buddhist. Hindu gurus and their teachings, drugs ... why is this? Ever considered right speech and right topics of conversation according to theravada doctrine? Just asking, I don't mind.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Dhamma Chameleon

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

Pondera wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:49 am Medicines that are non addictive and non-habit forming should not be made illegal by governments or prohibited by religious doctrine.
Per Dr. Gabor Mate's in the Realm of the Hungry Ghosts book, addiction is a behaviour, it's not about the substance at all (e.g. how many people get morphine in hospital without becoming addicted? And how many people are 'addicted' to their mobile phones, or music, or the news cycle?) So banning substances for that reason is kinda misguided to start with.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Dhamma Chameleon wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:52 pm Per Dr. Gabor Mate's in the Realm of the Hungry Ghosts book, addiction is a behaviour, it's not about the substance at all (e.g. how many people get morphine in hospital without becoming addicted? And how many people are 'addicted' to their mobile phones, or music, or the news cycle?) So banning substances for that reason is kinda misguided to start with.
If substances prove to be especially seductive in terms of addictive behaviour and undermine physical and/or mental health then it is ok to bann them. It's a matter of public health.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

SteRo wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:07 pm
If substances prove to be especially seductive in terms of addictive behaviour and undermine physical and/or mental health then it is ok to bann them. It's a matter of public health.
Good point. So why haven't alcohol and tobacco been widely banned?
Buddha save me from new-agers!
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Spiny Norman wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:32 pm
SteRo wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:07 pm
Good point. So why haven't alcohol and tobacco been widely banned?
You are asking an appropriate question. I don't think that regulation follows the principle that I have expressed.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:45 am It's a valid method of spiritual exploration, but it's not the way of the Buddha.
:goodpost:
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:45 am It's a valid method of spiritual exploration, but it's not the way of the Buddha.
At least it's an exploration of the impact of materiality on mentality with added-on materiality.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Kim OHara wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:31 pm :rofl:

All I was trying to do was to remind you - yes, just you, DD, not "Buddhist forums" - that most lay Buddhists do in fact drink alcohol pretty regularly, in spite of the Precepts. (Most lay Christians steal, too, and covet, and break others of the Commandments, and many Muslims also drink alcohol, and Jews eat pork.)
Deal with it.

:coffee:
Kim
I despair at the pretentious moral posturings of some "Protestant" Theravadans.

I'm fortunate in having some Pagan friends to keep things in perspective. :toast:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

SteRo wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:48 pm
SarathW wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:11 pm The Magic of Mushrooms - A Psilocybin Renaissance.
Are these claims sounds valid?
It seems you are interested in things that are not buddhist. Hindu gurus and their teachings, drugs ... why is this? Ever considered right speech and right topics of conversation according to theravada doctrine? Just asking, I don't mind.
I posted this on Wellness and Diet forum.
It is good to see people discussing this in a Buddhist perspective.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Dhamma Chameleon wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:45 pm Thanissaro's
Thanissaro is not the Buddha and has a strong history of being confused about the teachings. It is irrelevant whether people follow the precepts or not. What is relevant is not following the precepts leads to hell.
SarathW wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:36 pm I posted this on Wellness and Diet forum.
It is good to see people discussing this in a Buddhist perspective.
This topic is not related to "wellness" & "diet" and is much worse than killing a bee.
Kim OHara wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:31 pm All I was trying to do was to remind you - that most lay Buddhists do in fact drink alcohol pretty regularly,
I was trying to remind you the suttas say drinking alcohol pretty regularly leads to hell.

"Identitarianism" does not prevent rebirth in hell. :P
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

DooDoot wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:08 am
Dhamma Chameleon wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:45 pm Thanissaro's
Thanissaro is not the Buddha and has a strong history of being confused about the teachings. It is irrelevant whether people follow the precepts or not. What is relevant is not following the precepts leads to hell.
Okaaaay... so, so far, you know better than one of the mostly highly respected Theravadin bhikkhus, and you don't care whether people wander around slaughtering others at random.
Would you prefer to be a slaughterer or a slaughteree?
Kim OHara wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:31 pm All I was trying to do was to remind you - that most lay Buddhists do in fact drink alcohol pretty regularly,
I was trying to remind you the suttas say drinking alcohol pretty regularly leads to hell.
Oh, I've known that for years. Nor do I think that drinking a lot of alcohol is a good idea. But when you say that lay Buddhists don't drink the stuff, you are either lying or you are woefully misinformed. Lying is against the precepts (so I'm sure you wouldn't do that) so I thought I should do something about your neglected education.
"Identitarianism" does not prevent rebirth in hell. :P
I suspect it actually increases one's chances of an unhappy rebirth but I would be very pleased (and even more surprised, tbh) if you could find a sutta supporting that statement.

:popcorn:
Kim
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Kim OHara wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:01 am Okaaaay... so, so far, you know better than one of the mostly highly respected Theravadin bhikkhus...
again, despite the fact, more identitarianism

if Thanissaro was highly respected then Sujato would not have needed to censure his wrong views and we would not be required to fix his many errors
Kim OHara wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:01 am so I thought I should do something about your neglected education.
it appears only a non-Buddhist would make the above remark about one as learned as my good self
Kim OHara wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:01 am But when you say that lay Buddhists don't drink the stuff, you are either lying or you are woefully misinformed
i recall saying "practising Buddhists"... no point a habitual liar calling honest folks liars

also, you are contradicting yourself again. if a practising buddhist can drink then a practising buddhist can lie & kill, according to your ideas :roll:

:focus:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

DooDoot wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:09 am ... if a practising buddhist can drink then a practising buddhist can lie & kill, according to your ideas :roll:

:focus:
Many do.
:thinking:
And that is also part of the point I was trying to make before, which is that the real world is much messier and ...looser... than you seem to believe.
Why do I bother trying to make you see it? Because your blinkers get in the way of your own progress and (more importantly) because they lead you into misleading and obstructing others.

:namaste:
Kim