I feel depressed living in America but not in Thailand.

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
tamdrin

I feel depressed living in America but not in Thailand.

Post by tamdrin »

I have been in Thailand for most of the last 7 years but make frequent trips back to the USA for 2 or 3 months at a time. One thing I notice is that I always end up feeling quite depressed, and even sometimes resorting to alcohol, when I'm in the US. I told my parents that I feel there is a heavy energy there that I don't feel when I'm in Thailand. I don't think Thailand is a perfect country but it's nice not being depressed. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that the spirituality has been more developed in these parts of the world over the centuries and that has given a certain amount of light to the place.

What do you think?
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: I feel depressed living in America but not in Thailand.

Post by Sam Vara »

It's possible, but as we are talking about just one person's responses it might be useful to look at other factors. Are there people in Thailand that you miss when you leave? Are there people or family relationship issues you have to face in America? Are you reminded of difficult events from the past when you return? Might it be the climate suits you better in Thailand?

Whatever the reason, I hope you find happiness in both. :anjali:
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Ajahn Sumedho, “Don’t Take Your Life Personally” wrote:"One thing I found when living in Asia was this sense of belonging — even though I am an obvious foreigner — and this used to baffle me. I have lived in India, Malaysia and Thailand. And in all those countries I have felt at home; I always felt as though I belonged. Yet, in many ways, I didn't. There I was, a big white man living in a Forest monastery with all these small Thai monks. I looked out of place, an anachronism, a foreigner in terms of appearance. On the emotional level, however, I always felt at home, and began to recognize that the one thing many of us like about the Asians is that they have this sense of everything belonging — lepers, mad people, the beautiful, the ugly, the rich, the poor, the high castle, the low, whoever. The Asians seem to have this total acceptance of it all, that anyone has just as much right to be there as anyone else, that because you are there, you belong."
Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

tamdrin wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:12 am I have been in Thailand for most of the last 7 years but make frequent trips back to the USA for 2 or 3 months at a time. One thing I notice is that I always end up feeling quite depressed, and even sometimes resorting to alcohol, when I'm in the US. I told my parents that I feel there is a heavy energy there that I don't feel when I'm in Thailand. I don't think Thailand is a perfect country but it's nice not being depressed. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that the spirituality has been more developed in these parts of the world over the centuries and that has given a certain amount of light to the place.

What do you think?
Homeland is homeland and the land of birth and growing up is homeland. I wouldn't want to live in the US either. Don't know if it would cause me depressions but what I learn about the US puts me off.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

Sam Vara wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:35 am It's possible, but as we are talking about just one person's responses it might be useful to look at other factors. Are there people in Thailand that you miss when you leave? Are there people or family relationship issues you have to face in America? Are you reminded of difficult events from the past when you return? Might it be the climate suits you better in Thailand?

Whatever the reason, I hope you find happiness in both. :anjali:
Actually I have a good relationship with both my parents but they live in America. My wife is currently in China and I'm waiting for her to come back. I have more friends in America overall and tend to stick to myself over here but I do appreciate the general easygoingness and friendliness of the locals.

I do like the climate better over here. I like that I can rent a 2 bedroom house for $120 a month and live on a modest income without worrying about paying the bills. I like that I can travel and go to the beach or go do short retreats at forest locations and temples and so forth...
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Because its ur perception...

Many thai might think america is developed country and want to go there

When buddha was alive he lived in magadha (india was richest country back then with 30% gbp of world and well advanced civilization)
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Agnikan

Post by Agnikan »

Which America are you living in?
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

Agnikan wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:20 am Which America are you living in?
United States