Resetting sleep schedule

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
simsapa

Resetting sleep schedule

Post by simsapa »

I'm trying to reset my circadian rhythm. I tried forcing myself to go to bed earlier and get up earlier. Some problems I noticed:

1) Heart racing and thoughts racing before bed. Some soreness in the muscles. Perhaps meditation could help. It probably will.
2) Had a crash in energy around late morning with the new sleep schedule. Is there any way to fix this to have more consistent energy with an appropriate sleep schedule?
Alino

Re: Resetting sleep schedule

Post by Alino »

There is cycles during the sleep. On cycle is about 45 minutes. If we wake up in the nibble of the cycle - we suffer a lot; if we wake up at the en of the cycle - we suffer less. So to determine good sleeping time we need to go by lapses of 45 minutes.
6h to 7h30 if sleep is a good time - not to little and not to much.

Our body likes stability, if you sleep little but go to bed a d wake up in a fixed time - you body will adapt itself and you will feel better than if you sleep a lot but in a chaotic manner.
Just let your body to habituate to a new schedule, and keep this schedule.

I go bed at 21h and wake up at 3h or 4h30 for some years now, and there is no sleepiness problems during the day anymore.

Discipline and good rhythm is beneficial for practice.
We don't live Samsara, Samsara is living us...

"Form, feelings, perceptions, formations, consciousness - don't care about us, we don't exist for them"
sphairos

Post by sphairos »

What really helped me in that is 5-HTP, 5-Hydroxytryptophan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-Hydroxytryptophan

A harmless supplement. 100 mg before sleep.

(do not take it if you are taking antidepressants, especially monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs))

You can try also melatonin, a small dosage of 0.25 - 0.5 mg, or 1 - 2 mg. Just for a week.
How good and wonderful are your days,
How true are your ways?
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

sphairos wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:33 am What really helped me in that is 5-HTP, 5-Hydroxytryptophan

(do not take it if you are taking antidepressants, especially monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs))

You can try also melatonin, a small dosage of 0.25 - 0.5 mg, or 1 - 2 mg. Just for a week.
Why dope yourself up when you don't need to? Alino's advice is excellent.
All I would add to it is that lighting is a strong trigger so try to sleep in a dark room and wake up to daylight.

:namaste:
Kim
simsapa

Post by simsapa »

On cycle is about 45 minutes. If we wake up in the middle of the cycle - we suffer a lot; if we wake up at the end of the cycle - we suffer less.
While I appreciate your suggestion, it seems there is more to this than you have described:

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/how-sle ... s-of-sleep
sphairos

Post by sphairos »

Kim OHara wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:58 am
sphairos wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:33 am What really helped me in that is 5-HTP, 5-Hydroxytryptophan

All I would add to it is that lighting is a strong trigger so try to sleep in a dark room and wake up to daylight.

Kim
Some people (e. g. myself) have it so hard that nothing (else) helps.
How true are your ways?
sphairos

Post by sphairos »

Fully subscribe to the following:
Jet lag and Night-shift work
Jet lag and shift work upsets the body’s Circadian Rhythm which is controlled my the hormone Melatonin (produced from Serotonin). The Circadian Rhythm is what tells your body to sleep, eat and wake. Therefore, 5-HTP is highly recommended to reset and recalibrate you body-clock.

5-HTP can be purchased in powder or tablet form. It’s reccomended dosage usually ranges between 50-100mg. The effects of this herb are felt rapidly (10-30mins). Therefore, it is advised to be taken 30 minutes before a structured bed time. A great way to take 5-HTP is alongside Vitamin B6 as it is required in the conversion to serotonin within the body.

5-HTP has earned a reputation as a “wonder-pill” for those that suffer from sleep disorders. It is thought to be more effective than any other sleep promoting supplement. Not only does it cause a more restful nights sleep but it can often vastly improve health problems associated with poor sleep patterns and mood.
https://oxfordvitality.co.uk/blogs/news ... -disorders
How true are your ways?
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

sphairos wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:55 pm
Kim OHara wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:58 am

Kim
Some people (e. g. myself) have it so hard that nothing (else) helps.
I'm sorry that you have this problem.
At the same time, I think that posting a solution to an extreme example without saying something like, "if it's really hard for you, you could try this," is a bit ... misleading or inappropriate or something.
No harm done, though, because we have clarified where you're coming from.

Kim
simsapa

Post by simsapa »

If I can naturally work on resetting my sleep schedule, that would be my preference.
simsapa

Post by simsapa »

Still having some issues with energy levels during the day... Will have to fix.