Risk of taking vaccine jab

Some topics tend to get heated and go off track in unwholesome ways quite quickly. The "hot topics" sub-forum is a place where such topics may be moved so that each post must be manually approved by moderator before it will become visible to members.
asahi

Risk of taking vaccine jab

Post by asahi »

It seems many peoples died because of taking covid19 vaccine jab , should a buddhist risk his life if in suspicious it would cost his life ?
No bashing No gossiping
Kim OHara

Re: Risk of taking vaccine jab

Post by Kim OHara »

The risk of the jab is so much smaller than the risk of the illness that you should have the vaccination, if possible, whether you are a Buddhist or not.
How much smaller? Perhaps a thousand times smaller.

:namaste:
Kim
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

Thats like saying airbags in cars kill people in extremely rare cases so you shouldnt drive a car with an air bag because of those extreme rarities even tho not having an airbag in ur car is far more dangerous than having one. You are far more likely to die from COVID then the vaccine. idk where you are from but the COVID death toll is 600K here in the US and i think that of any of the vaccines, there has literally been like 1 death (from JNJ vaccine) that has been credibly linked to the vaccine. COVID death rate is maybe 1 in 1,000. Complications from any of the American vaccines (im not knowledgable about others so i cant say) is literally less than 1 in a million at the very most.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Everything has some risk. At least two people I know (knew) died when they fell down the stairs in their house and one person I know (knew) was killed when a bookshelf fell on him (not due to an earthquake - he just had too many books stacked up).

And the risk of vaccines has to be balanced with the risk of the disease. A few decades ago the smallpox vaccine became more hazardous than the disease itself, because the vaccination programme had been so effective that there were no new cases.

From the statistics I've seen, the risk of dying from a covid jab seems to be about the same risk as travelling several hundred km in a motor vehicle, or travelling several thousand km by air (commercial air travel is a lot safer per km than road travel).

:heart:
Mike
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I know that at lest six old people taken the jab and they came to work the same day.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
asahi

Post by asahi »

Kim OHara wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:16 am .....
:namaste:
Kim
TRobinson465 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:34 am ......
mikenz66 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:39 am .......
Mike
SarathW wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:07 am .....
Regarding the percentage of death this is still in the early stage of vaccine . At this stage FDA still havent approve of it yet to date in my knowledge . Earlier news is the sanctioning of vaccine accordingly suppose to be approvable by 2023 years when more stabilise . However i know this is an emergency case . In any case ,
so , anyone of you already taken the jab ?
No bashing No gossiping
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

asahi wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:20 am Regarding the percentage of death this is still in the early stage of vaccine . At this stage FDA still havent approve of it yet to date in my knowledge...
That's a rather odd way of putting it. My understanding is that they have given an approval that short-circuits some of the normal precautions. I'm no expert, but my impression was that most adverse vaccine effects happen on a short time scale.
asahi wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:20 am In any case ,
so , anyone of you already taken the jab ?
No, but my son and daughter-in-law in New York, and many of my American and UK friends have. We are going slowish down here, as the only covid we have is recent arrivals in quarantine facilities.

Mike
asahi

Post by asahi »

mikenz66 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:38 am ........
Fyi to my knowledge 1 person which is my friend neighbour relative passed away in one week times after 1st jab although the government claimed he died of heart problem . Another on the news paper is 2 days ago in our country where the person dies in 3 days times after 1st jab also and still under investigation and autopsy . The man's son and all the related family members cancel their jab appointment immediately after the death of his father . :roll:

According to cdc web about 4000 over peoples dies of jab in USA out of 245 million jab till date .
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... vents.html

According to present state America death rate is about 0.0018% which is "Negligible" according to some of you above saids . Although , i really hope for the best for everyone while also concern over the Unexpected flawed coming from the jab !
But , you may say everyone has to take the risk somehow . :shrug:

Ps . In UK many dies of blood clots because of the jabs . Well , according to the experts these are rare cases . :? As stated Astrazeneca are now consider unfavourable and not advisable for those below 50 years and female death rate appears more than male whom took Astrazeneca .
No bashing No gossiping
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

asahi wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:57 am According to present state America death rate is about 0.0018% which is "Negligible" according to some of you above saids . Although , i really hope for the best for everyone while also concern over the Unexpected flawed coming from the jab !
But , you may say everyone has to take the risk somehow . :shrug:
Yes, as I said, there is definitely a risk from the vaccine, and there is definitely a risk from the disease. If you live in the US, Brazil, Europe, India, etc, your risk of a covid-related death over the past year or so is not negligible. It's 0.17% for the US, which is a thousand times larger than the 0.0018% vaccination death rate that you mention above.

In the end, it's mostly a personal choice. Personally, since I've done quite a lot of travel to SE Asia and South America, I've kept up the commonly-available shots that last at least a few years, and get flu shots most years, so covid-19 is just one more...

Of course, it would be better to not have to use vaccines. Much of East Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, etc used a variety of precautions to eliminate covid-19, much like SARS was eliminated. But it would be inconvenient to go on indefinitely with 2 week quarantine of all arrivals...

Mike
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

My immune system is currently reacting to a second dose of moderna I received nine hours ago. I have a mild headache, feel a bit achy and chilly, my skin’s a bit sensitive to the touch, and I’m a little thirstier than usual. It’s not so bad, and it helps that I’m in a comfy bed about to get some shut eye.

:anjali:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
asahi

Post by asahi »

Polar Bear wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:53 am My immune system is currently reacting to a second dose of moderna I received nine hours ago. I have a mild headache, feel a bit achy and chilly, my skin’s a bit sensitive to the touch, and I’m a little thirstier than usual. It’s not so bad, and it helps that I’m in a comfy bed about to get some shut eye.

:anjali:
May i know the duration between second jab from your first jab ?

Thanks
No bashing No gossiping
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

asahi wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:36 am It seems many peoples died because of taking covid19 vaccine jab , should a buddhist risk his life if in suspicious it would cost his life ?
buddhist will not have desire for life... but anyway we will die one day better take the jab of vaccine that has low death rate or no death rate... not all vaccines are bad .. or dont take vaccine
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

The risk of not taking it is FAR greater than taking it. Therefore, if you are concerned about risk, then you should take it because taking it is less risky. A Buddhist should not risk their life by not taking it. I've taken it, I'm perfectly fine. And now I'm helping to protect the people around me, which is a very Buddhist thing to do.
asahi

Post by asahi »

seeker242 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:34 am The risk of not taking it is FAR greater than taking it. Therefore, if you are concerned about risk, then you should take it because taking it is less risky. A Buddhist should not risk their life by not taking it. I've taken it, I'm perfectly fine. And now I'm helping to protect the people around me, which is a very Buddhist thing to do.
Good for you . And you dont have any side effects ? Which vaccine you had if you dont mind . I have to wait for my turn since older peoples are given priority and those in the front line . My country are not able to get enough supply of vaccine .
No bashing No gossiping
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Kim OHara wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:16 am How much smaller? Perhaps a thousand times smaller.
How do u know? Because the mass-media said so? :shrug:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati