Risk of taking vaccine jab

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Spiny Norman
Posts: 8182
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 am
Location: Andromeda looks nice

Re: Risk of taking vaccine jab

Post by Spiny Norman »

confusedlayman wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:32 pm Today i put oxford covid vaccine... im worried about clot .. should i radiate metta to protect myself?
The risk is miniscule, about 1 death per million, so I wouldn't worry about it. I've now had two AZ jabs, no problems at all.
Bear in mind that you're also protecting others by getting the vaccine.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
48vows
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:31 am

Re: Risk of taking vaccine jab

Post by 48vows »

Spiny Norman wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:11 pm Bear in mind that you're also protecting others by getting the vaccine.
How does one person getting the vaccine keep another person from getting sick ?
Inedible
Posts: 640
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:55 am
Location: Iowa City
Contact:

Re: Risk of taking vaccine jab

Post by Inedible »

A virus uses the body of an infected person to mass produce more virus and distribute it to other people. That was why we have been told to wear masks, stay home, and maintain a distance of at least six feet from other people. A person can be spreading virus for several days without having symptoms. Getting vaccinated is even better because it prevents your body from being used to make virus and spread it to other people.
Dan74
Posts: 3866
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:12 pm
Location: Switzerland

Re: Risk of taking vaccine jab

Post by Dan74 »

Spiny Norman wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:11 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:32 pm Today i put oxford covid vaccine... im worried about clot .. should i radiate metta to protect myself?
The risk is miniscule, about 1 death per million, so I wouldn't worry about it. I've now had two AZ jabs, no problems at all.
Bear in mind that you're also protecting others by getting the vaccine.
The current estimate of TTS is 1 in 50 000 in AZ and rising but fortunately they are getting better at treating it. Still Europe's fatality rate is at 18% it appears, which makes it roughly 1 in 300 000. Many of the remaining 72% are seriously ill.

I am glad you're OK, Spiny. I wouldn't get AZ personally. Especially, since one is bound to need further shots down the line, with the risk accumulating each time.. After 20 shots, if we keep having to get them, it becomes close to 1 in 2000..
_/|\_
User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 8305
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Risk of taking vaccine jab

Post by Sam Vara »

Dan74 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:44 pm

The current estimate of TTS is 1 in 50 000 in AZ and rising but fortunately they are getting better at treating it. Still Europe's fatality rate is at 18% it appears
:jawdrop:
Dan74
Posts: 3866
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:12 pm
Location: Switzerland

Re: Risk of taking vaccine jab

Post by Dan74 »

Sam Vara wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:46 pm
Dan74 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:44 pm

The current estimate of TTS is 1 in 50 000 in AZ and rising but fortunately they are getting better at treating it. Still Europe's fatality rate is at 18% it appears
:jawdrop:
I hope it didn't come across wrong - 18% from the 1 in 50 000 TTS cases, not 18% from all vaccinated with AZ. That would've been a horrific catastrophe.

As it is, I don't know if it's really worth it for young people to subject themselves to this risk, since their COVID risk isn't high at all:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanc ... 3/fulltext

In this article, if I understand it correctly, it says that 22 people between 10-19 years of age died of COVID in the UK within a year, that's out of over 7.5 million. If 1 in 300 000 die of TTS from the AZ vaccine, and all of the 7.5 million are vaccinated, that's about 25. Since catching COVID is less likely now, whereas the vaccine is given, I would not let children and adolescents have AZ. It is not to their benefit. Except for someone in the high COVID risk group.

Plus, AZ is not especially effective.

In Australia, it's been stopped for the under-50's. There's been a lot more TTS cases among the under-50. Here, in Switzerland, it is not approved at all, in spite of them filing for approval. The regulator says that they are missing clinical data from AZ, in order to make a decision. A natural question is whether other regulators had that data (and the Swiss one somehow didn't get it) or have they made their decision without it.
_/|\_
User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 8305
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Risk of taking vaccine jab

Post by Sam Vara »

Dan74 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:11 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:46 pm
Dan74 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:44 pm

The current estimate of TTS is 1 in 50 000 in AZ and rising but fortunately they are getting better at treating it. Still Europe's fatality rate is at 18% it appears
:jawdrop:
I hope it didn't come across wrong - 18% from the 1 in 50 000 TTS cases, not 18% from all vaccinated with AZ. That would've been a horrific catastrophe.
Thank goodness for that! Having just had my second AZ jab, I was cowering in terror!

I think you are right about the risks to young people. Do the oldies like me, and maybe those exposed to a heavier viral load, and then back off.

I initially declined, due to lots of little reasons rather than any big anti-vax opinion. (It doesn't prevent transmission all that effectively; I live in a rural area; most of the locals are older than me and have been jabbed some time ago; the peak seems to have passed; I'm reasonably fit so would probably be OK even if I caught it; my wife tested positive last year, so I may have had it and been symptomless, etc...) But then I did a bit more research and thought that it was probably worth it because it provide some protection for those who can't be vaccinated (pregnant women and those with suppressed immune systems).

I hope the Swiss sort things out for you, and that you stay well. :heart:
Spiny Norman
Posts: 8182
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 am
Location: Andromeda looks nice

Re: Risk of taking vaccine jab

Post by Spiny Norman »

Dan74 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:44 pm
Spiny Norman wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:11 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:32 pm Today i put oxford covid vaccine... im worried about clot .. should i radiate metta to protect myself?
The risk is miniscule, about 1 death per million, so I wouldn't worry about it. I've now had two AZ jabs, no problems at all.
Bear in mind that you're also protecting others by getting the vaccine.
The current estimate of TTS is 1 in 50 000 in AZ and rising but fortunately they are getting better at treating it. Still Europe's fatality rate is at 18% it appears, which makes it roughly 1 in 300 000. Many of the remaining 72% are seriously ill.

I am glad you're OK, Spiny. I wouldn't get AZ personally. Especially, since one is bound to need further shots down the line, with the risk accumulating each time.. After 20 shots, if we keep having to get them, it becomes close to 1 in 2000..
It's not something I'm going to lose sleep over. Pretty much everything we do has a small risk attached.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Disciple
Posts: 452
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:13 pm

Re: Risk of taking vaccine jab

Post by Disciple »

Just got my first jab. Haven't died yet but who knows. :)
User avatar
Ceisiwr
Posts: 12764
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:36 am

Re: Risk of taking vaccine jab

Post by Ceisiwr »

Disciple wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:52 pm Just got my first jab. Haven't died yet but who knows. :)
:thumbsup: which one did you get?
“The mental and material are really here,
But here there is no human being to be found,
For it is void and merely fashioned like a doll—
Just suffering piled up like grass and sticks.”


Visuddhimagga
Disciple
Posts: 452
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:13 pm

Re: Risk of taking vaccine jab

Post by Disciple »

Ceisiwr wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:11 pm
Disciple wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:52 pm Just got my first jab. Haven't died yet but who knows. :)
:thumbsup: which one did you get?
Pfizer. You?
User avatar
Ceisiwr
Posts: 12764
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:36 am

Re: Risk of taking vaccine jab

Post by Ceisiwr »

Disciple wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:20 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:11 pm
Disciple wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:52 pm Just got my first jab. Haven't died yet but who knows. :)
:thumbsup: which one did you get?
Pfizer. You?
Same. I’ve had both.
“The mental and material are really here,
But here there is no human being to be found,
For it is void and merely fashioned like a doll—
Just suffering piled up like grass and sticks.”


Visuddhimagga
Disciple
Posts: 452
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:13 pm

Re: Risk of taking vaccine jab

Post by Disciple »

Ceisiwr wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:03 pm
Disciple wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:20 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:11 pm

:thumbsup: which one did you get?
Pfizer. You?
Same. I’ve had both.
:thumbsup:
SarathW
Posts: 16203
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Risk of taking vaccine jab

Post by SarathW »

Ceisiwr wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:03 pm
Disciple wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:20 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:11 pm

:thumbsup: which one did you get?
Pfizer. You?
Same. I’ve had both.
What do you mean by both?
Both injections I believe.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
User avatar
Ceisiwr
Posts: 12764
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:36 am

Re: Risk of taking vaccine jab

Post by Ceisiwr »

SarathW wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:42 am
Ceisiwr wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:03 pm
Disciple wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:20 pm
Pfizer. You?
Same. I’ve had both.
What do you mean by both?
Both injections I believe.
Yes.
“The mental and material are really here,
But here there is no human being to be found,
For it is void and merely fashioned like a doll—
Just suffering piled up like grass and sticks.”


Visuddhimagga
Post Reply