Risk of taking vaccine jab

Some topics tend to get heated and go off track in unwholesome ways quite quickly. The "hot topics" sub-forum is a place where such topics may be moved so that each post must be manually approved by moderator before it will become visible to members.
Kim OHara

Re: Risk of taking vaccine jab

Post by Kim OHara »

I've just had my first, too - yesterday, in fact. A-Z, because that's what was on offer and the extra risk (compared to Pfizer) is really very low.
The nurse who did it reckoned that most people got some nausea-lethargy-headaches in the first day or two but that younger people (in their 30s and 40s) seemed to get them worse than older people. I had a quiet afternoon and then went and played sport - and won :twothumbsup: - so I guess I didn't feel too bad. :tongue:
I did feel the need for a couple of paracetamol later in the evening, though.

:coffee:
Kim
4GreatHeavenlyKings

Post by 4GreatHeavenlyKings »

I got vaccinated for the second time yesterday (Pfizer both times), and I am feeling fine.
denise

Post by denise »

hello all....just took the one shot jab....did not want it but was being mildly harrassed by strangers ...every time in public with the mask on someone had something to say....glad to help them feel ok now....glad now because was tired of thinking about it...ok....be´well :heart:
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Kim OHara wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:33 am I've just had my first, too - yesterday, in fact. A-Z, because that's what was on offer and the extra risk (compared to Pfizer) is really very low.
The nurse who did it reckoned that most people got some nausea-lethargy-headaches in the first day or two but that younger people (in their 30s and 40s) seemed to get them worse than older people. I had a quiet afternoon and then went and played sport - and won :twothumbsup: - so I guess I didn't feel too bad. :tongue:
I did feel the need for a couple of paracetamol later in the evening, though.

:coffee:
Kim
The only side effect I got from the AZ vaccine was an achy arm on the first jab, nothing on the second one. Some friends have mentioned mild side effects, but I haven't heard of any serious reactions.
The first jab was done by an army medic, very professional - I didn't even feel the needle go in!
Buddha save me from new-agers!
asahi

Post by asahi »

confusedlayman wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:32 pm Today i put oxford covid vaccine... im worried about clot .. should i radiate metta to protect myself?
Take paracetamol probably could ease the clot . :shrug:
No bashing No gossiping
asahi

Post by asahi »

Good news to all , all the vaccines would gives you probably 6 months or a little more for protection . Then you will need to take a booster . Btw , AZ now cant defend agaisnt Africa mutated virus . So they are suggesting AZ and Pfizer mix . Even Pfizer 2 jabs still not exempt you from being attack by virus .
No bashing No gossiping
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

asahi wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:37 am
confusedlayman wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:32 pm Today i put oxford covid vaccine... im worried about clot .. should i radiate metta to protect myself?
I thought the problem was bleeding not clothing?
So aspirin or paracetamol could make it worse?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

A question to those who know about clinical trials and scientific protocols in relation to vaccines:

The COVID vaccines have been tested, mass produced and applied at a relatively very short period of time. Are there technologies that help determine possible long term effects of the vaccine? Or are the trials only designed to determine short term risks?

To rephrase the question: if few years down the line, a large number of those who got vaccinated using a certain jab begin developing certain illnesses, is this kind of risk foreseeable through short term trials?
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

SarathW wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:46 am
asahi wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:37 am
I thought the problem was bleeding not clothing?
So aspirin or paracetamol could make it worse?
I think clotting is the problem. Clots would usually be treated with thrombolytic drugs.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Bundokji wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:20 pm A question to those who know about clinical trials and scientific protocols in relation to vaccines:

The COVID vaccines have been tested, mass produced and applied at a relatively very short period of time. Are there technologies that help determine possible long term effects of the vaccine? Or are the trials only designed to determine short term risks?

To rephrase the question: if few years down the line, a large number of those who got vaccinated using a certain jab begin developing certain illnesses, is this kind of risk foreseeable through short term trials?
Well, that's a $1 000 000 question, isn't it? How would you even test for that?

I'm no expert in the least and would be very happy if one stepped in and shed more light on this. From what I've read, all they can say is that we know the mechanism, we know the ingredients of the vaccine and the spike are short-lived and so should be their effects. But messing with the mRNA, getting the cells to manufacture this foreign protein (plus there are worrying studies about the damage it may do in the short term), well, it's all virgin territory, isn't it? Who knows how the body will respond long term? It's a bloody complex thing. As a non-expert I don't see it as safe with any degree of certainty. My greatest reassurance comes from all kinds of serious people taking the shot, so I hope they know something I don't.

That said, I got my 2nd Moderna jab on Friday (no choice between that and Pfizer here). Was sick as a dog for about 10 hours on Saturday. Like a real flu - fever, could hardly move, very painful injection site. Then it was gone. Quite suddenly. By Sunday only some headache and today I am fine.

But long-term, who can tell? I just need to be able to travel back to Australia and I know it's not going to happen without.

Spiny, clotting and bleeding somehow simultaneously. The weirdness of it is what seems to convince the researchers this is definitely AZ. They have some treatments, so it is nowhere near as fatal as before. Still very serious though.
Last edited by Dan74 on Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_/|\_
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

asahi wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:41 am Good news to all , all the vaccines would gives you probably 6 months or a little more for protection . Then you will need to take a booster . Btw , AZ now cant defend agaisnt Africa mutated virus . So they are suggesting AZ and Pfizer mix . Even Pfizer 2 jabs still not exempt you from being attack by virus .
Yes, someone in a Skype meditation group that I am part of couldn't take part in the group tonight. He has gone down with the covid delta variant, along with his wife and daughter. They have had both AZ jabs.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Sam Vara wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:45 pm
asahi wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:41 am Good news to all , all the vaccines would gives you probably 6 months or a little more for protection . Then you will need to take a booster . Btw , AZ now cant defend agaisnt Africa mutated virus . So they are suggesting AZ and Pfizer mix . Even Pfizer 2 jabs still not exempt you from being attack by virus .
Yes, someone in a Skype meditation group that I am part of couldn't take part in the group tonight. He has gone down with the covid delta variant, along with his wife and daughter. They have had both AZ jabs.
AZ is quick turning out to be the poor man's vaccine. Less effective than the others and more dangerous. Oxford, who knew? No sarcasm here. I was also in thrall of the grand ol' name and would've betted on it being one of the better ones... So much for that.
_/|\_
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

A comment was recently published in Acta Neurologica Scandinavica. It was in response to a paper that alleged that there are no neurological side-effects to the vaccines. This is not the case. While the Comment indicates that the cases are rare, it makes the following remarks:
The rareness of reports about neurological side effects of SARS-CoV-2 vaccines may have several reasons. First, SARS-CoV-2 vaccines are available only since December 2020, why it may be simply too early to have got these cases published. Secondly, there may be a psychological inhibition to recognize and report side effects, as we all want to get rid of the global threat caused by the virus and want to return to normal life. Third, those who produce the vaccines and want to make money with their products may have a weak interest in hearing about side effects of their products why they may directly or indirectly try to avoid publications about putative adverse reactions. Fourth, there is enormous social, economic and political pressure on producers of vaccines and publishers of meeting current needs and providing an effective weapon against the pandemic, why positive reports are preferred over negative news about the handling of the global crisis.
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/ful ... /ane.13451
_/|\_
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

In my opinion, the Chinese vaccine is the safest and produces higher results.
It was made using the old technology without altering the DNA of the virus.
It is natural. It is not man-made in a laboratory.
Why the West always want to maddle with the genes?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Perhaps this is useful...

Let's parse your post, Sarath.
SarathW wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:32 pm In my opinion, the Chinese vaccine is the safest and produces higher results.
You say "in my opinion". This opinion is based on what you've read, I assume. So you read that it is safest and produces higher results? Which source asserted this? Have you tried to check these assertions, at least see if there are other opinions or whether the experts are unanimous?

A quick search reveals that most trials show effectiveness between 50-70%, lower than all other major vaccines. Chile, which has one of the largest rollouts of SinoVac, reports 67% effectiveness and shows slower decrease in case numbers compared to countries which went with other vaccines. Similar stories with Turkey and Pakistan, which have seen a rebound. Pfizer and Moderna effectiveness has been reported at being over 95% by most studies.

So how did you arrive at the conclusion that it "produces higher results"?

As for safety, there is little indication that it is unsafe, except some stories out of HK. But the WHO says the safety data provided by China is not trustworthy, according to this article: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/5/6 ... ta-lacking

Sounds to me like, the jury is not yet out on the safety. But the indications are that it is safe.

SarathW wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:32 pm It was made using the old technology without altering the DNA of the virus.
No vaccines that are in use "alter the DNA of the virus." Coronavirus actually doesn't have a DNA, it has an RNA, but they didn't alter it either. The mRNA vaccines work by sending a signal to our cells to produce a spike protein, exactly like the one the virus uses in order to get into our cells. Once the protein is produced, the immune system detects it and responds, thereby developing a way to counter the virus's first attack.

SinoVac uses dead virus particles to get immune system to respond to the presence of virus in the body. It is older technology, you are right there.
SarathW wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:32 pm
It is natural. It is not man-made in a laboratory.
What? Does it grow on trees somewhere? What do you mean??
SarathW wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:32 pm Why the West always want to maddle with the genes?
Maybe the same urge that led scientists to discover new things? Try new approaches. Some turn out to work amazingly! Others don't.
_/|\_