Any amount of alcohol is bad for you

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
DNS
Site Admin

Any amount of alcohol is bad for you

Post by DNS »

A new extensive Oxford University study has found that any amount of alcohol is bad for you.
There is no safe amount of alcohol consumption for the brain, with even “moderate” drinking adversely affecting nearly every part of it, a study of more than 25,000 people in the UK has found.

The study, which is still to be peer-reviewed, suggests that the more alcohol consumed, the lower the brain volume. In effect, the more you drink, the worse off your brain.

“There’s no threshold drinking for harm – any alcohol is worse. Pretty much the whole brain seems to be affected – not just specific areas, as previously thought,” said the lead author, Anya Topiwala, a senior clinical lecturer at the University of Oxford.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... inds-study
Many people believe alcohol is okay in moderation or very small amounts, but this study suggests otherwise.

Once again the Buddha well ahead of his time. :buddha2:
Disciple

Re: Any amount of alcohol is bad for you

Post by Disciple »

Great article. Alcohol is the worst and most insidious drug in my opinion.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

I read this article too with great interest. I've been concerned for years about the mileage the "some alcohol (usually wine) is good for you" studies have gotten. Turns out those were flawed.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thanks for bringing this subject again and remind us of the drawback of alcohol.
I lean this by simply avoiding a car accident with the influence of a small amount of alcohol in my body.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Then how come I feel so good when I drink them beers 🍺??? 🧐 :toast:
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

Disciple wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:14 pm Great article. Alcohol is the worst and most insidious drug in my opinion.
Are you serious? I can think of many that are far worse.
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

Pondera wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:01 pm Then how come I feel so good when I drink them beers 🍺??? 🧐 :toast:
If you lived in a good environment you wouldn't feel so worn out from the daily grind that you needed beers to relax. I know from experience.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

SteRo wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:22 am The problem lies in the intentionality of taking drugs which is based on the illusion of real mental states. Principally all illusory mentality is based on the flux of chemical materiality, so there is no difference between the effect of chemical drugs and the effect of natural chemicals in the brain. But since the illusion of mentality necessarily entails the illusion of 'I am' judgement and intentionality associate and cement illusion.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

tamdrin wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:51 am
Disciple wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:14 pm Great article. Alcohol is the worst and most insidious drug in my opinion.
Alcohol 'more harmful than heroin' says Prof David Nutt (bbc.com, Nov. 2010)
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

Some additional thoughts...

In AA there is a saying that one drink is too much and a thousand is not enough.
For an alcoholic this is how it is.
Any amount can restart the self destructive downward spiral.

________

If a little bit of alcohol is ok, maybe a little bit of lying, a little bit of stealing, a little bit of adultery and a little bit of killing is also ok.
For those seeking progress on the path, none of that is true.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Nicolas wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:29 am
tamdrin wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:51 am
Alcohol 'more harmful than heroin' says Prof David Nutt (bbc.com, Nov. 2010)
it reads: ..."Alcohol is more harmful than heroin or crack when the overall dangers to the individual and society are considered" and it seems that this guy puts the main weight on "dangers to society" because the dangers to the individual are not necessarily more harmful. However simply based on the fact of the number of alcohol (mis-)users compared with the number of heroin users it is valid to say that alcohol is more harmful for society than heroin.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
AvaLily

Re:

Post by AvaLily »

sunnat wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:35 am Some additional thoughts...

In AA there is a saying that one drink is too much and a thousand is not enough.
For an alcoholic this is how it is.
Any amount can restart the self destructive downward spiral.

________

If a little bit of alcohol is ok, maybe a little bit of lying, a little bit of stealing, a little bit of adultery and a little bit of killing is also ok.
i agree with you my friend I have the same problems myself ,i view that alcohol is something that kills so many not just the people that drink it i haven't touched any in a long time and i don't ever want to again what about those who drink-drive people killed because of someone deciding to drive their car when drunk what about people fighting or killing a loved one because they cant not control themselves or even domestic violence etc my partner also don't drink but he stopped the reason was he didn't like how being drunk felt so he stopped at when i was 19 and hasn't had any since drinking kills so many and hurts so many lives
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

:anjali:
mjaviem

Re:

Post by mjaviem »

sunnat wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:35 am ...
Not lying, not stealing, no adultery, not killing, are all expected behaviors. But not drinking even a sip as in vade retro satana? This one is not easy to follow when meeting with people. It is necessary to declare oneself a teetotaler* or to have a variety of excuses to miss a toast.

* This one I had to look up in the dictionary I want to say those people that never drink.
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
confusedsoso

Post by confusedsoso »

I used to drink 8 beers a day for years until I got gastritis. I have quit drinking for over 2 years now. Never even tempted to have just a sip. :woohoo: