is it true that the sun is bad?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.

is the sun bad

yes
9%
no
36%
other
55%

Total votes: 11

salayatananirodha

is it true that the sun is bad?

Post by salayatananirodha »

i have fair skin and a lot of moles, but i also have a good ability to become tan, and i like to be tan when i can. i enjoy going out in the sun during the warmer months. i have almost never worn sunscreen in my life, and i'm not really interested in wearing any.
the dermatologist said i should and they took biopsy of a couple of irregular moles. however they came back benign.

it's hard for me to believe that the sun in and of itself is harmful. i feel like cancer is caused by other things with perhaps the sun as a trigger. the sun is also clearly beneficial, as is being outside
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
cappuccino

Re: is it true that the sun is bad?

Post by cappuccino »

I wouldn't say the sun is bad

I would say the sun is powerful
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I answered "other" since there was no option for "both." It can be a good source of vitamin D, but like anything should be done in moderation. Plenty of people have got skin cancer from tanning too much. Some skin cancers are deadly, but most are usually treated with the doctor removing the cancer before it spreads.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

You wouldn't be here without it. 🌞

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Yes, ultra-violet radiation from the sun can cause skin cancer. This is also why it hurts to look at the sun rather than say a candle. When you stare at the sun, which is a gigantic nuclear fusion reactor in space, your eyes get flooded and damaged by said UV radiation.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

Well, it has never been convicted of anything... so I'd assume it was either good or has a good lawyer.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Here's a useful facts page about skin cancer from the American Academy of Dermatology: https://www.aad.org/media/stats-skin-cancer

IMO, moderation is the way to go here.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

The UV radiation can actually cause genetic mutations in your DNA which lead to cancer.

There are UV sunscreens that still allow you to tanha.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

i go to the beach twice a day - strictly early morning & late afternoon. lots of skin cancer here, including a local doctor who specializes in skin cancer surgery
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Pondera wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 5:22 am There are UV sunscreens that still allow you to tanha.
It is great that you write so much about Dhamma that ordinary words autocorrect to Pali.
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Inedible wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:34 am
Pondera wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 5:22 am There are UV sunscreens that still allow you to tanha.
It is great that you write so much about Dhamma that ordinary words autocorrect to Pali.
:clap: I did it purposely. I was being cheeky. :jumping:
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded