Breatharian

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Mr. Seek

Re: Breatharian

Post by Mr. Seek »

@ last two

Hey, cling or don't cling to whatever you want. I don't mind it.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Mr. Seek wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:51 amJust because, maybe, the Earth was flat 2000 years ago, doesn't mean it can't turn round overnight, and then again flat some thousand years later;
In your "maybe" scenario, what causes the earth to change shape? The belief of its inhabitants concerning its shape? How did the human race react to the shifting geography? Did they just not notice because it was instantaneous?

This, IMO, is the real matter you brought forth.

:alien:
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
Mr. Seek

Post by Mr. Seek »

Coëmgenu wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:40 pm
Mr. Seek wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:51 amJust because, maybe, the Earth was flat 2000 years ago, doesn't mean it can't turn round overnight, and then again flat some thousand years later;
In your "maybe" scenario, what causes the earth to change shape? The belief of its inhabitants concerning its shape? How did the human race react to the shifting geography? Did they just not notice because it was instantaneous?
Pull the arrow out before it's too late. That's the proper answer to your question(s), sorry. With respect.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

So "the arrow" in the Buddha's sutta is also related to the transformation of the shape of the globe???!!!

:rolleye:

I'm joking. Sorry, it doesn't come across the best on the Internet. Everyone always seems serious on the Internet.
What is the Uncreated?
Mr. Seek

Post by Mr. Seek »

Coëmgenu wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:52 pm So "the arrow" in the Buddha's sutta is also related to the transformation of the shape of the globe???!!!

:rolleye:

I'm joking. Sorry, it doesn't come across the best on the Internet. Everyone always seems serious on the Internet.
Was referring to the arrow simile as used regarding Malunkya. Cheers. Edit: Corrected the name; it's MN 63.
Last edited by Mr. Seek on Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

The "two arrows," no?

Oh, wait. No, I remember that other arrow. The one in the man who wants to know who shot it.
What is the Uncreated?
robertk

Post by robertk »

DNS wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:26 am

I agree. All of the breatharian claimants are fake. They hide and eat when no one is looking.

As it is now, so it was then.

http://www.aimwell.org/05-bala.html
Jambuka the Naked Ascetic
In the time of the Buddha Kassapa a monk took meals regularly at a layman’s house. One day, an Arahant happened to come by. Noticing his gracious deportment, the devout layman served him respectfully, called a barber to shave his head, offered him a robe, and a bed. The resident monk was insanely jealous and later abused the visitor soundly, saying it would be better for him to eat excrement than to eat the almsfood offered by his supporter, better to pull out his hair by the root than to have his head shaved by a barber, better to go naked than to use the robe that had been offered, better to sleep on the floor than to make use of the bed that was offered.

The visitor decided to leave at first light. The next day, the visiting monk awoke early, and thinking the visitor was still sleeping, the resident monk flicked the bell with his fingernail and went for alms. He told the layman that the visitor was still sleeping, and didn’t wake when he rang the bell. The layman was wise, and became suspicious, but dutifully served the monk, then filled his bowl again with choice food, asking him to take it for the visitor. The monk threw the food away by the road, thinking he would never leave if he got such good food. On his return he discovered that the visitor had already left. Due to his evil deed he was reborn in hell where he suffered for aeons.

In the time of the Buddha Gotama, he was reborn in Rājagaha. Though there was abundant food he would eat nothing but his own excrement. He threw off his clothes, and would only sleep on the floor. His habits didn’t change as he grew up, so his parents took him to the naked ascetics. To initiate him into the community they put him in a pit, laid planks over his shoulders, squatted on the planks, and pulled out his hair. When they went for alms he remained behind, eating excrement from the latrines. Realising that people would blame them, the naked ascetics banished him. Thereafter he lived by the public toilets on his own. When people came, he would stand on one leg with his mouth open. When asked why he did that he told them, “I am a wind-eater, I eat nothing else. I stand on one leg because if I used two the earth would shake.” The people believed what he said, for they had never known him to take any food. As his reputation grew, people came bringing all manner of food, wishing to make merit, but he always refused it as regular food was repulsive to him. When they pressed him repeatedly to accept at least a little for their sake, he took a tiny morsel of ghee and molasses on the tip of a blade of halfa grass, and placed it on his tongue, saying, “That is enough for your welfare and happiness.”

After he had lived like this for fifty-five years, his evil kamma from the past finally became exhausted. One morning, when the Buddha surveyed the world in his meditation, he realised that it was time to visit Jambuka. He told Venerable Ānanda of his intention, and set off late in the afternoon. Knowing the Buddha’s intentions, the deities washed the place with a sudden storm, so that the flat rock where Jambuka stayed was spotless. The Buddha asked Jambuka if there was anywhere he could stay for the night, but Jambuka said that there wasn’t. The Buddha pointed to a cave nearby, and Jambuka told him to suit himself.

During the night, powerful deities including the Four Great Kings, Sakka, and Mahābrahma came to pay respects to the Buddha, illuminating the whole forest. Jambuka wondered who it might be. In the morning, Jambuka asked the Buddha and the Buddha told him. Jambuka replied, “For fifty-five years I have lived by eating the wind, and have stood on one leg, but no one came to pay respects to me. The Buddha told Jambuka, “You may have deceived the foolish majority, but you cannot deceive me. Is it not true that you have lived on excrement all these years, going naked, sleeping on the ground, and pulling out your hair?” Then the Buddha told Jambuka about the evil deeds he had done in the time of Buddha Kassapa. He regained a sense of shame, so the Buddha gave him a bathing robe to put on, and taught him the Dhamma. Due to his long practice of meditation in his previous life, Jambuka attained Arahantship. He requested the going forth, spontaneously gaining a set of robes and an almsbowl as the Buddha said, “Come monk
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

this man doesn't eat anything and doesn't drink water either...

he participated in a scientific study, was under observation by scientists watched by cameras 24 hours a day, for many days...

He passed away on May 26, 2020, of old age.

I think he was over 80 years old

Snippet from "IN THE BEGINNING THERE WAS LIGHT" - Yogi Prahlad Jani

this video is part of a documentary about "living by light"

in the documentary there are also other scientific studies..

a european participated in a scientific study at a european university, he was also watched by cameras 24 hours a day for more than 40 days.

When I talk to some people about food in Theravada Buddhism...

that the monks fast during the afternoon and the night...

many people don't believe it, they say it's crazy...

but we know it's possible...

I'm not encouraging anyone to "live light"

I'm just saying it's possible...

many people can...

and already have scientific papers on the subject.

:namaste:
Last edited by Lucas Oliveira on Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

The Food Of Gods (Divine Nutrition)

The Food of Gods is Jasmuheen's 18th book on metaphysical matters and her third book in the Divine Nutrition series. It is not necessary to have read the previous books on this subject which cover her personal journey and the solution for world health and world hunger issues as "The Foods of Gods" takes the pranic nourishment discussion to another level and offers simple yet powerful tools to satiate all of our hungers. Jasmuheen writes: The most important difference with our focus with Divine Nutrition is that It has the ability to feed us on all levels and that we can still benefit from increasing Its flow through our bio-system even if we continue to choose to enjoy eating. Allowing this Divinely Nutritional stream to be increased in our system means that we can be fed emotionally, mentally and spiritually and as such the techniques and guidelines shared in this book, will benefit us all by freeing us from our current personal and global emotional, mental and spiritual states of anorexia.

https://www.amazon.com/Food-Gods-Divine ... 184799847X

:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

IMO, and please don't be offended by this if you either are a "breatharian" or look up to them as spiritual masters, but most of these people submitting themselves to (possibly fraudulent) scientific studies are, IMO, likely narcissists who want to be famous for allegedly being a breatharian.

In order to live without food, you need to necessarily be inhuman. Furthermore, you cannot be an animal or any sort. Stories abound of saints who attained inhuman/superhuman states, and so people want to be like their superheroes. But maybe, just maybe, Superman is a fictional character. Maybe, just maybe, some of "the saints" are fictional characters, or at least characters once real who have become fictitious through hagiography and other sorts of stories about them.

Father Pambo asked Father Anthony, “What ought I to do?” The old man said to him, “Do not trust in your own righteousness, do not worry about the past, but control your tongue and your stomach.” Father Lot went to Father Joseph and said to him, “Father, as far as I can I say my little office, I fast a little, I pray and meditate, I live in peace as far as I can, I purify my thoughts. What else can I do?” Then the old man stood up and stretched his hands toward heaven. His fingers became like ten lamps of fire and he said to him, “If you will, you can become all flame.”

Luckily, no Orthodox monks have burnt themselves alive trying to do this literally. Hearing the above hagiography and lighting yourself aflame is a little like people who read the hagiographies of Hindu, etc., saints and the accounts of them not intaking food and then try it out for themselves. If you think you are one of such saints, then you really need to look inside critically. This critical self-reflection is beyond the ability of many people, in my experience. People want to believe that they are different, fancy, "the exception," the way, the truth, and the life. They want to think of themselves as an immoveable beacon of light in the stormy sea of saṁsāra, rhetorically speaking.

Anyways, that's my take.
What is the Uncreated?
auto

Post by auto »

Coëmgenu wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:18 pm ..
Suttas what say 'blade can't cut you'.. Kamma needs be experienced before attaining a path fruit. You can assume there are quite dangerous happenings before desire is gotten rid of. And at some point your kamma is good enough, the accidents what cuts through skin aren't strong enough to cut or in other words doesn't have to be that strong for you to get the understanding.
Its what means to becoming enlightened and that the iddhis have same base as enlightenment factors.
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

Coëmgenu wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:18 pm ... most of these people submitting themselves to (possibly fraudulent) scientific studies ...
:goodpost:

Possibilities of experiments on Prahlad Jani being fraudulent:

Claims of anomalously long fasting: An assessment of the evidence from investigated cases (by Marcus H.MastPhD) research article / EXPLORE Volume 16, Issue 5, September–October 2020, Pages 287-296
  • Results
    47 eligible investigations of 38 claimants were found. Out of the 38 cases, results were assessed as (seemingly) anomalous in 11, with nine cases of monitored food and fluid deprivation ranging from 14 to 68 days (median 28 days), and two cases of food deprivation for 365 and 411 days. In 17 cases, anomaly was assessed as not confirmed due to issues with study design or reporting. Fraud was established in 10 cases. Deception methods were creative. Post-1900 studies were also assessed for quality. Quality was not considered adequate in any.

Conclusions
    I consider the evidential status of inedia unconfirmed as no assessed study had both anomalous findings and impeccable quality. ...

P. Jani (2003 and 2010): Apparently, no food or water intake for nine days in 2003, with 3 kg net weight loss but 1 kg intermediate gain (anomalous), and for 15 days in 2010 with unspecified body weight changes (seemingly anomalous), investigated at a hospital both times; however, insufficient detail on the monitoring in both studies, indications of loopholes, very little detail on the 2010 study; some results in the 2003 study may be interpreted as indicative of subject fraud

Wikipedia
    Nutrition researcher Peter Clifton also disagreed with study results, accusing the research team of "cheating" by allowing Jani to gargle and bathe, and stating that a human of average weight would die after "15 to 20 days" without water.[7] People who avoid food and water to emulate mystical figures often die.[7] Sanal Edamaruku characterized the experiment as a farce for allowing Jani to move out of the CCTV cameras' field of view, claiming that video footage showed Jani was allowed to receive devotees and to leave the sealed test room for sunbathing. Edamaruku also said that the gargling and bathing activities were insufficiently monitored. Edamaruku was denied access to the site where the tests were conducted in both 2003 and 2010,[4] and accuses Jani of having "influential protectors" responsible for denying him permission to inspect the project during its operation, despite having been invited to join the test during a live television broadcast.[4] In 2010, the prominent scientific sceptic James Randi criticized the studies performed by the Indian government, citing insufficient scrutiny of the subject. ...
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

robertk wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:23 pm
DNS wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:26 am

I agree. All of the breatharian claimants are fake. They hide and eat when no one is looking.

As it is now, so it was then.

http://www.aimwell.org/05-bala.html
Jambuka the Naked Ascetic
... “I am a wind-eater, I eat nothing else. ...

Wind-eater = breatharian :woohoo:
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
Borek

Post by Borek »

I was very sick with sever chronic fatigue. I started to heal when I adopted Paleo/Gaps diet. At the beginning, I had to eat a lot of meats, eggs etc. However, as I started to heal, I started to eat less. Right now, I am in the process of eating less every year. I am not bretharian, but it certainly amazes me that I am able to eat gradually less.

This sutta is not about bretharianism, but is shows that beings can become grosser when they it grosser foods. Perhaps it is also possible to reverse this process.

https://suttacentral.net/dn27/en/sujato ... ript=latin