Performance-Enhancing drugs

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
bpallister

Performance-Enhancing drugs

Post by bpallister »

What do you think the Buddha would have to say about these?
samseva

Re: Performance-Enhancing drugs

Post by samseva »

bpallister wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:59 pm What do you think the Buddha would have to say about these?
For lay people, he has theoretically never said such things shouldn't be consumed, but that's from not imposing himself on the laity. If you were to ask him at that time, maybe he would ask you why want to take such substances—is it based on conceit, gain, greed, hate, delusion?

For monastics, such substances aren't allowed, as they aren't medicine—medicines being to cure ailments and maintain health/being free of disease.
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

gain(s) :)
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

i bet the Buddha liked that dry, vascular look. I think one of his teachings said something about not eating for bulk.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

What would be a performance enhancing drug as far as the Buddha was concerned? Something to increase mindfulness?

It would help if you made any kind of connection to the dhamma for us. So far, we can only speculate as to what you mean.
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

i was thinking more like anaboic steroids and hgh, but you bring up an interesting point as there as some nootropics and anxiolytics which may make it easier to reach deep meditative states.
Mr. Seek

Post by Mr. Seek »

Probably don't be dependent on the external.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

The nice thing about brainwave entrainment audios, if you find a brand you respond well to, is that they give you the advantages of being able to meditate before you have the experience. It is a place to start and you can build on it. You can develop real skill, faster. I'd like to be able to take pills to get similar results, but the problem is that anything effective enough to give real results is going to be illegal.
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

most nootropics are legal i think. or it's a gray area.
Dweller

Post by Dweller »

bpallister wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:34 pm i bet the Buddha liked that dry, vascular look. I think one of his teachings said something about not eating for bulk.
He had lion-shaped body and arms like elephant's trunk.

;)
Observing

Post by Observing »

Wanting to take these substances is probably an indication that one has strayed from the middle way.
anagaarika

Post by anagaarika »

From rich personal experience, I would simply say that with solid formal practice and overall mindfulness throughout the day you stop needing them. I found nootropics useful when still engaged in the sphere of sensual (although extremely refined) pleasures. They made my mind very productive, malleable, plastic, extremely funny to be around, witty, eloquent... But I wanted to go deeper and after that I completely lost interest in them. Enhanced cognitive functions are a natural by-product of good meditation and if you spend a few hours on the cushion on most days you don´t really need nootropics - some of the most potent ones would only bring unnecessary agitation. Of course it depends on what nootropics exactly do you take etc. - I was always going for the top tier (Noopept, Adrafinil, Piracetam in high doses etc.), but there also many nootropics bordering on placebo that don´t really do much (but what´s the point in taking them anyway?).

The only "nootropic" I still consume is Japanese green tea and that´s allowed even for monastics as far as I know ;)
Dweller

Post by Dweller »

Observing wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:29 am Wanting to take these substances is probably an indication that one has strayed from the middle way.
What if I just want to have huge arms like Buddha?
Observing

Post by Observing »

Dweller wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:19 pm
Observing wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:29 am Wanting to take these substances is probably an indication that one has strayed from the middle way.
Wanting only leads to suffering. Just keep meditating
Dweller

Post by Dweller »

Observing wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:25 am
Dweller wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:19 pm
Wanting only leads to suffering. Just keep meditating
It can be completely utilitarian without too much craving and clinging.

Getting bigger and stronger to do every kind of manual labour better, being in better shape to protect yourself and your family, it can also make you feel better mentally and overall create better conditions for practice.

Some could use legal drugs in prescribed manner when doing it, whether because of their condition or just to do it faster and not waste too much time.

These can be all kinds of persons, from practicing Buddhists to people obsessed with their bodies. just like those who were sitting on the couch and eating chips while they were pumping iron.

:)