Booster dose

Some topics tend to get heated and go off track in unwholesome ways quite quickly. The "hot topics" sub-forum is a place where such topics may be moved so that each post must be manually approved by moderator before it will become visible to members.
asahi

Re: Booster dose

Post by asahi »

mikenz66 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:52 pm
I'm not expert, but vaccines are not drugs in the sense of penicillin, etc. They work by inducing the body to produce antibodies to target particular cell/viruses/proteins. When you have a new vaccine, whether it's for flu (flu vaccines get changed every year to keep up with variants) or covid, the body will produce more antibodies. Since different vaccines will induce the response in different ways, it may well be useful to use a different vaccine for a booster.

Also, as I understand it, the difficulty we have at present is that the vaccines are not effective at preventing someone being infected by the delta strain (it prevents infection with the original), because the delta variant uses a slightly different protein to bind to cells that it attacks. It's still effective at significantly reducing the severity of the infection, however, as it induces antibodies that can kill the infected cells (as I understand it - I'm not familiar with all the details, but had a chat with an expert a couple of days ago). Presumably boosters will soon have modifications (which understand have already been developed, but not rolled out yet) to make them effective against delta (and other new variants). This is the strategy with flu vaccines.

:heart:
Mike
Thanks mike for sharing . My buddhist friend was almost not able to walk after second jab . Now he refused to take further booster dose . But the interval between second jab and now is only 3 over months . Another friend father passed away after the first jab , he was an athelete .
My friend in Taiwan said yesterday there were 88 persons was admitted to hospital after mix jabs .
As for myself i had my second jab on Aug , after second jab , my systolic blood pressure drop to around 80-90 for about over two months , i was feeling dizziness for over two months , only manage to recover after three months after getting treatment from doctor .
No bashing No gossiping
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
JamesTheGiant wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:53 am PLEASE not another vaccine topic.
All vaccine discussion should be in one megathread.
Believe me... there's no one here who would love there to be no conversation about this topic any more than me, and we do consolidate topics where possible. Recently we merged two similar topics on vaccine risks.

That said, this issue of boosters is going to be a new and big "wellbeing" consideration for people coming into 2022, so perhaps the solution here is to allow just a single topic on boosters, and to merge any future booster topics in with this one.

:thanks:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
asahi

Post by asahi »

Just curious , why few experienced buddhists here felt adverse and objected to such topic and not other topic ? :shrug:
Why has such intolerance or because they think that they already knew everything .
No bashing No gossiping
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

asahi wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:13 am Thanks mike for sharing . My buddhist friend was almost not able to walk after second jab . Now he refused to take further booster dose . But the interval between second jab and now is only 3 over months . Another friend father passed away after the first jab , he was an athelete .
My friend in Taiwan said yesterday there were 88 persons was admitted to hospital after mix jabs .
As for myself i had my second jab on Aug , after second jab , my systolic blood pressure drop to around 80-90 for about over two months , i was feeling dizziness for over two months , only manage to recover after three months after getting treatment from doctor .
Sorry to hear that. Obviously, it would be foolish to claim that there are no risks to vaccines. I think that if people have concerns, especially if they have existing conditions, they should seek advice from reliable professionals.

Personally, I was quite tired after the shots, especially the second. Due to various travel to Asia and South America, I've had most of the reasonably common vaccines over the past 20 years, so I was not particularly worried, but the effect was worse than I have had from other vaccines (flu vaccines sometimes make me light-headed for a few hours). However, it's just a matter of time before I'm exposed to the delta variant of covid, so I'd rather face that with some antibodies...

:heart:
Mike
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

mikenz66 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:18 am they should seek advice from reliable professionals.
are they reliable?
DiamondNgXZ

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

asahi wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:10 am Just curious , why few experienced buddhists here felt adverse and objected to such topic and not other topic ? :shrug:
Why has such intolerance or because they think that they already knew everything .
In general I think because anti-vax has a bad name for helping to cause some eradicated disease (in the USA) to reemerge (in the USA). So anti-vax is generally opposed by pro-science people. The perception is that such anti-science views causes actions which causes harm in general, but it's hard to blame the person with such views as they come from a genuinely kind intention to help people. So it is that this reminds us of what the Buddha said: https://suttacentral.net/an1.306-315/en ... ript=latin Although this topic is more of science, not Dhamma.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

DiamondNgXZ wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:30 am So anti-vax is generally opposed by pro-science people.
people are taking sides?

I don't know
Last edited by cappuccino on Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
asahi

Post by asahi »

DiamondNgXZ wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:30 am
asahi wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:10 am Just curious , why few experienced buddhists here felt adverse and objected to such topic and not other topic ? :shrug:
In general I think because anti-vax has a bad name for helping to cause some eradicated disease (in the USA) to reemerge (in the USA). So anti-vax is generally opposed by pro-science people. The perception is that such anti-science views causes actions which causes harm in general, but it's hard to blame the person with such views as they come from a genuinely kind intention to help people. So it is that this reminds us of what the Buddha said: https://suttacentral.net/an1.306-315/en ... ript=latin Although this topic is more of science, not Dhamma.
Why the presumption .
I think such topic does not necessarily is about anti-vaccine or anti-science . But an caution attitude and if one already has certain illnesses .
No bashing No gossiping
DiamondNgXZ

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

asahi wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:40 am
DiamondNgXZ wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:30 am
Why has such presumption .
I think such topic does not necessarily is about anti-vaccine or anti-science . But an caution attitude and if one already has certain illnesses .
I think in general USA culture has become the English Internet's culture. So Anti-vax which is most prominent in USA became English internet world culture. Thus it's easy to see things from that lens and framing. I can see some concerns due to prior illness.

Also, there could be another reason for social culture to push vaccination. To shorten the time that governments have to impose lockdowns or reduce the economic activities. So those who don't vaccinate fast are causing the rest of the nation to suffer in poverty or even hunger or death from lack of money, food etc. As well as taking up more space in hospital beds as the critical cases tends to concentrate more on the unvaccinated.

It's more tolerable for those with valid health reasons to be more cautious as it tends to be a minority, and with minority unvaccinated, it's possible for the government to open up economic activities and let people work, earn, eat, pay debts, pay employees, not having to fire employees or shut down their business etc.

And for me personally, to have the state borders open, so enough monks can come to ordain me. I missed out ordaining before vassa, so lost one vassa due to lockdown!
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Please keep this topic to the discussions of "booster doses" only.

Unrelated papanca may be removed.

:thanks:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
asahi

Post by asahi »

DiamondNgXZ wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:48 am
I think in general USA culture has become the English Internet's culture. So Anti-vax which is most prominent in USA became English internet world culture. Thus it's easy to see things from that lens and framing. I can see some concerns due to prior illness.

Also, there could be another reason for social culture to push vaccination. To shorten the time that governments have to impose lockdowns or reduce the economic activities. So those who don't vaccinate fast are causing the rest of the nation to suffer in poverty or even hunger or death from lack of money, food etc. As well as taking up more space in hospital beds as the critical cases tends to concentrate more on the unvaccinated.

It's more tolerable for those with valid health reasons to be more cautious as it tends to be a minority, and with minority unvaccinated, it's possible for the government to open up economic activities and let people work, earn, eat, pay debts, pay employees, not having to fire employees or shut down their business etc.

And for me personally, to have the state borders open, so enough monks can come to ordain me. I missed out ordaining before vassa, so lost one vassa due to lockdown!
It is abit funny though .
I think here no one is anti-vaxxer . We are talking about booster incase someone not aware of . I mean discussing pro n con or possible side effects taking booster has nothing to do with anti-vax or science . Actually , in some countries the percentage getting 2 doses surpasses 90% of the population as you said yours already open up for economic activities . Now taking booster is only under voluntary condition .
Missing out your vassa should not be a valid reason to stop others from discussing . Of course , if you or other dislike , they can avoids frequenting .
No bashing No gossiping
DiamondNgXZ

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

asahi wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:15 am
I think here no one is anti-vaxxer . We are talking about booster incase someone not aware of . I mean discussing pro n con taking booster has nothing to do with anti-vax or science . Actually , in some countries the percentage getting 2 doses surpasses 90% of the population as you said yours already open up for economic activities . Now taking booster is only under voluntary condition .
Missing out your vassa should not be a valid reason to stop others from discussing . Of course , if you or other dislike , they can avoids frequenting .
Ya, sorry I think I confused the issue.

Is it that any potential side effects is for each time you need to get an additional vaccine shot? Or that if your first shot only results in minor headache, you don't expect the 3rd shot to be something potentially even worse?
asahi

Post by asahi »

DiamondNgXZ wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:22 am
asahi wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:15 am
I think here no one is anti-vaxxer . We are talking about booster incase someone not aware of . I mean discussing pro n con taking booster has nothing to do with anti-vax or science . Actually , in some countries the percentage getting 2 doses surpasses 90% of the population as you said yours already open up for economic activities . Now taking booster is only under voluntary condition .
Ya, sorry I think I confused the issue.

Is it that any potential side effects is for each time you need to get an additional vaccine shot? Or that if your first shot only results in minor headache, you don't expect the 3rd shot to be something potentially even worse?
I was unable to do anything practically for over two months due to dropping of the systolic and that kind of feeling was terrible . I dont know if the booster going to get me worsen on the condition later . My friend was nearly unable to walk and still in sufferings of the backbone pains .
No bashing No gossiping
asahi

Post by asahi »

My wife cousin yesterday passed away after taken Pfizer 2nd jab . So , no one knows what will happens .
No bashing No gossiping
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

I had 2 Astra Zenica vaccinations earlier in the year without side effects. I had a Pfeizer booster on Wednesday and carried on with a busy day afterwards. Its now Friday and I haven't had any side effects from the booster either.

So to sum up my comments in this topic -- I have several friends who, like myself, have had all the vaccinations now - and they didn't experience any problems at all either.

Perhaps maintaining a positive attitude might be helpful.

Have a great day everyone.

:anjali: