Feeling good physically despite being extremely skinny

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
anagaarika

Feeling good physically despite being extremely skinny

Post by anagaarika »

I noticed that I´ve lost a few kilos over the last year or so, which was quite strange as I spent a lot of time sitting at home due to covid. I have always been rather skinny, but my current weight dropped below 60 kg (132 pounds). My height is roughly 179 cm (5.87 feet).

I don´t really bother too much about this (certainly far less than my family :D) since I feel very healthy and can still perform physically. But considering this trend will go on, I was just curious whether there may be some health issues that would limit my practice and such. And also, very hypothetically, if I wanted to ordain one day, I wonder how my body would respond to the one-meal-a-day regime. I´m already basically just a skeleton from my waist up :D

As I said, I´m not really bothered to do anything about it at the moment - overeating would seem utterly stupid to me, and I find bodybuilding very boring and meaningless... I usually eat three times a day and don´t restrict myself too much, although I notice that two meals suit me even better. In spite of my boding losing weight, I would actually prefer eating less rather than more...

Any thoughts or advice?
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Feeling good physically despite being extremely skinny

Post by DNS »

For medical issues, it's always best to check with your doctor.

Now that this disclaimer has been presented, just some general thoughts from my own experience. I've been underweight, overweight, and for several years now (fortunately) right at about my ideal weight. It definitely feels better to be at your ideal weight. Too skinny and you get tired fast, lack of energy. But even worse, is overweight. You get tired even faster, it's a struggle to do some things and exercise becomes very burdensome.

So if I had to choose between the two; underweight is better. But ideally shoot for your ideal weight; that will provide the most energy and you'll feel good.
anagaarika

Post by anagaarika »

DNS wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:36 pm I've been underweight, overweight, and for several years now (fortunately) right at about my ideal weight. It definitely feels better to be at your ideal weight. Too skinny and you get tired fast, lack of energy. But even worse, is overweight. You get tired even faster, it's a struggle to do some things and exercise becomes very burdensome.

So if I had to choose between the two; underweight is better. But ideally shoot for your ideal weight; that will provide the most energy and you'll feel good.
It must be an interesting experience to have been both underweight and overweight in your life, can´t quite imagine :D As I said I don´t get tired, I can perform, but it´s just that my metabolism is somewhat ectomorphic (the body doesn´t store fat). I would find it silly to stuff myself with extra food just to gain a few extra pounds. Moderation in eating is good.
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

You should consider eating in a caloric surplus while lifting weights so you can add bone mass and muscle mass to your body. This will keep you healthier in old age when bones and muscles weaken and falls become much more dangerous. Look up osteoporosis and sarcopenia.

:anjali:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
robertk

Post by robertk »

DNS wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:36 pm For medical issues, it's always best to check with your doctor.

Now that this disclaimer has been presented, just some general thoughts from my own experience. I've been underweight, overweight, and for several years now (fortunately) right at about my ideal weight. It definitely feels better to be at your ideal weight. Too skinny and you get tired fast, lack of energy. But even worse, is overweight. You get tired even faster, it's a struggle to do some things and exercise becomes very burdensome.

Nice observations. :sage:
2600htz

Post by 2600htz »

Hi:

I think the problem is lack of exercise.
Its not so much weight, but body composition.
Monks spent a lot of time walking, doing chores,etc. Even sitting straight its different than laying on a couch or pc chair.

Regards
denise

Post by denise »

hello all....have always been thin....an ectomorph...when trying to add weight it's weird weight....fluffy, sluggish....a person is lucky if they find their most functional body weight....in some places though you must fit the visual ideal....easy for some not others...am 132 @ 5'8"...
KeepCalm

Post by KeepCalm »

Large unexplained weight loss should be checked out by your GP.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

If you have a substantial weight loss without changing your habits, see a doctor. Best to keep medical questions away from internet forums. It is the worst place to look for advice.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

dharmacorps wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:46 pm away from internet forums. It is the worst place to look for advice.
speak for yourself
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

anagaarika wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:14 pm I would actually prefer eating less rather than more...
respect that you're human
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

cappuccino wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:48 am
dharmacorps wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:46 pm away from internet forums. It is the worst place to look for advice.
speak for yourself
I speak for myself quite well thank you! 20 years of experience of medicine have helped.

:popcorn: You are a great example for this matter sir. Please persist with your self-admittedly unqualified and baseless "medical" "advice".
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

dharmacorps wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:07 am Please persist with your self-admittedly unqualified and baseless "medical" "advice".
speak for yourself
JohnSo

Post by JohnSo »

The once-a-day-eating-regime is practically not harmless. It won't made us skinny. The facts that you are skinny (as the pre-Buddha before he found The Middle Path), makes me wonder. There are 2 things that you have to do, ie.:
1. Check with the physician & made them run a few lab. check to ensure there is no hidden things.
2. Once-A-Day-Eating-Regime is ok, as long as you make sure that Daily-Eating-Allowance is not broke. You still need the minimal calories the body need in order preserve an existence. Please do not over do it.