Don't wear running shoes?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Kim OHara

Re: Don't wear running shoes?

Post by Kim OHara »

beeblebrox wrote: It's more like ball-to-heel running (same as barefoot walking). The toes are what keep you from rolling over, and when you're well balanced, you're light on your toes. Your foot is naturally angled to allow this to happen. Shoes disrupt this whole mechanism, and to compensate you end up running on your heels, or your toes... which are the two extremes.

There is a balance point between the ball and the heel, which is more or less centered in the arch...
That's all pretty much what I was thinking, but a much better description - thanks.
It follows that the shoes which disrupt the natural movement least will be light and flexible and cut low around the ankle area, like the classic canvas Dunlop tennis shoe, or moccasins. Right?
:namaste:
Kim
JeffR

Post by JeffR »

beeblebrox wrote:
Sanghamitta wrote:all orthopaeds are seeing increasing numbers of people in their forties who have been jogging on a regular basis for a decade or more and who " have tremendous cardiac and pulmonary health but wrecked knees , hips, and ankles, and advanced osteoarthritis ". "They have", he added "the joints of sixty year olds ".
Of course... without shoes on I think you're more sensitive to how (and where) you land, and therefore you'll run much more gingerly, and with a better technique. With the pillows on you're just pounding on the ground, running with over-extended strides, oblivious to the effects that these have on your body. By the way, for most people, their arches will strength more if they regularly walk barefoot. Of course the exceptions are flat-footed and high arched... those are medical conditions.

I heard that flip-flops aren't good for feet... sandals (or barefooted) are better.
I ran a lot as a kid [in summer]. I ran for fun, across the large, uneven lawn, down our long gravel driveway, up the hill in the orchard and back down again, out the winding field road and back. Barefoot mostly, shoes made it more difficult. I didn't like running in flip flops because the flip flopping slowed me down and made it awkward; too much foot dynamics involved in keeping them from flying off. Running in shoes caused sore feet and slowed me down, they don't allow the foot to curve as it is designed. I have never had problems with my skeletal structure. I am NOT one in a million.

Look under any vehicle and you will see that it is supported by leaf springs. These springs are designed similar to, but much simpler than a foot. The difference between running barefoot and running in shoes is like riding in a car as designed and riding in one without springs. That hammering you feel in the car without springs is similar to the hammering that you submit your skeleton and its joints to when running in shoes.

Today I jog a couple miles a day ~5 days/week. I wear "running" shoes. I pay special attention to how I land on the ball of my foot in order to make use of my springs. The shoes protect my 50 year old feet from dog-do and sharp pebbles and make my feet a little sore by not allowing them to flex as they should and keep them warm in cool/cold weather. I think when the weather warms next Spring I will go back to running as I did in my childhood days, bearing through that first week or two it takes to toughen up the feet to sharp pebbles and thistles.

Without having brainwashed us into thinking we need big dollar shoes in order to "protect" us from running, shoe companies and Tiger Woods would not make the big money that they do.

-Jeff :buddha1:
Therein what are 'six (types of) disrespect'? One dwells without respect, without deference for the Teacher; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Teaching; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Order; one dwells without respect, without deference for the precepts; one dwells without respect, without deference for heedfulness; one dwells without respect, without deference for hospitality. These are six (types of) disrespect.
:Vibh 945
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

Kim O'Hara wrote:It follows that the shoes which disrupt the natural movement least will be light and flexible and cut low around the ankle area, like the classic canvas Dunlop tennis shoe, or moccasins. Right?
Moccasins might work, but not sure about the tennis shoes. There are actually some shoes that are designed for "barefoot" running. I never tried one, but they seem similar to thin track shoes, without padding.

One of them even have toes built in, but I think that's too much. :tongue: Unfortunately these type of shoes seem to be way over-priced compared to the regular shoes, from my brief googling.

That's a great story by the way, Jeff. :thumbsup:

Edited: Another option might be "Feiyue martial arts shoes", they cost only $15.
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

An episode of 'Weird or What' features the Mexican Tarahumara people--virtually all 50,000ish of them, not just one in a million--who run fast, far, often, and injury free over rough terrain with bare feet and sandals.

"With widely dispersed settlements, these people developed a tradition of long-distance running up to 435 miles (700 km) in one session, over a period of two days through their homeland of rough canyon country, for inter-village communication and transportation."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarahumara ... ic_prowess" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://kingfatty.blogspot.com/2009/08/r ... a-way.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.mytreadmilltrainer.com/run-f ... -free.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zoey79

Post by Zoey79 »

Walking may be one of the simplest things you can do for your health—but picking out a shoe to do it in can be another story. With so many options available, it’s easy to either get caught up in the bells and whistles of it all—or get so overwhelmed that you wear one pair of shoes for everything. But when we play tennis then we must wear tennis shoes.