Secrets for success in life

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
KeepCalm

Secrets for success in life

Post by KeepCalm »

Our life is actually depending on good deeds that we have done in the past life. There are some rich people, but they do not have a lot of friends. because they have practised generosity in the past but all alone. Also, there are extremely rich people and they have a lot of friends. because they have practised generosity and involved the others. There are poor people but have no friends. Because they have not practised generosity and do not let others give as well. On the other hand, there are poor people, but they have friends. Because they have not practised generosity but involved others for meritorious deeds. So why don’t we practise generosity and involve others when doing a meritorious deed?

Please watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMFtyGVgNQs
mario92

Re: Secrets for success in life

Post by mario92 »

I think the standard of having friends in modern society is overestimated. For example if you live in a city when the people doesnt believe in kamma or practising the 5 precepts, why have a friend? I am not perfect but neither the other people that surround me in my hometown. I prefer to live with no friend. I think kalyanamitta only applies to buddhists.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

mario92 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:54 am I think the standard of having friends in modern society is overestimated. For example if you live in a city when the people doesnt believe in kamma or practising the 5 precepts, why have a friend? I am not perfect but neither the other people that surround me in my hometown. I prefer to live with no friend. I think kalyanamitta only applies to buddhists.
:goodpost:
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

To be brutally honest and present you with a Western opinion. This life you live - whether you are rich or poor - or have companions or not - although there may be a sutra contradicting what I am about to say - it does not matter.

Your current state of being is not an indicator of your future state of being. If you are poor and lonely right now - you may become concentrated and free in the future.

Likewise, if you are rich and popular now - you may give all that up and become concentrated and free in the future.

The West do not bow to idols. Do not worship idols. Do not give food offerings to idols. As much as I respect that this may be the way things are in eastern countries - we approach the dhamma very precisely. With no concerns about tradition and observance.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
KeepCalm

Post by KeepCalm »

Pondera wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:08 am To be brutally honest and present you with a Western opinion. This life you live - whether you are rich or poor - or have companions or not - although there may be a sutra contradicting what I am about to say - it does not matter.
Although it is true if you can't find any suitable companions it is better to walk alone... however without Kalyāṇa-mittatā it is virtually impossible to make any progress on the path.

It seems to me the problem with the Western approach to Buddhism is we learn a little and then we think we know a lot. Although it is true, we approach the Dhamma with a fresh set of eyes, those eyes have some massive blindspots and we are far too eager to write off so-called 'cultural mumbo-jumbo' without proper investigation, an open mind, and a sense of humility.

It seems to me usually the approach to Buddhism in the West is far from precise!