Apologizing on behalf of others

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
binocular

Re: Apologizing on behalf of others

Post by binocular »

Sam Vara wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:05 pmMaybe saying sorry in that context was just intended as an expression of sympathy. "I'm sorry that it happened to you" is a way of expressing sympathy without accepting responsibility for the thing that befell you.
But we're not talking about saying "I'm sorry" which can be also an expression of sympathy, we're talking about actually apologizing on behalf of others, actually using the term "apologize".
Either way, it's best to just assume they meant something good, and rejoice, and pass on.
It seems, rather, that what they really wanted to accomplish with that apology is to get me to shut up, as in "You've been apologized to, the slate has been wiped clean, it's now your duty to accept the apology, and then to shut up and move on".
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

binocular wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:00 am It seems, rather, that what they really wanted to accomplish with that apology is to get me to shut up, as in "You've been apologized to, the slate has been wiped clean, it's now your duty to accept the apology, and then to shut up and move on".
Well, it's often difficult to know what people really meant, but if you are personally certain then you seem to have answered the question in your OP. The important point now is your emotional reaction to that.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

If i think bad thoughts about monk automatically , i realize it but cant ask forgiveness so if i radiate metta specific to him and ask forgiveness inside my head is it ok?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...