I'm working on building a start page with quotes from the Buddha and would appreciate suggestions/feedback.

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
Idappaccayata

I'm working on building a start page with quotes from the Buddha and would appreciate suggestions/feedback.

Post by Idappaccayata »

Hey everyone, I'm working on making a start/new tab page with quotes from the Buddha and would appreciate any feedback.

Right now, there a few different image options for the background, and you can insert your own name, which will be remembered by the browser.

Currently, the quotes are coming from a local JSON file, using a list that I found online. I plan to continue to expand this list, and go through and make sure all quotes are from the suttas. Currently, they seem to mostly be related to the suttas, but there are random ones from Mahayana texts as well.

If anyone knows of a more accurate quote list, or sutta quotes, I would be happy to implement that instead. I've thought about somehow making a open page where anyone can contribute their favorites as well.

Any other general feedback would be greatly appreciated as well. I started making this just because I was sick of the default firefox homepage, but thought it might be something others might like to use as well. It's far from done, I'm just interested in what features/changes others might like.

Thanks!

Here's the link:
https://startitate.netlify.app
A dying man can only rely upon his wisdom, if he developed it. Wisdom is not dependent upon any phenomenon originated upon six senses. It is developed on the basis of the discernment of the same. That’s why when one’s senses start to wither and die, the knowledge of their nature remains unaffected. When there is no wisdom, there will be despair, in the face of death.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero
DNS
Site Admin

Re: I'm working on building a start page with quotes from the Buddha and would appreciate suggestions/feedback.

Post by DNS »

I have a short list of quotes from the Buddha here:
https://dhammawiki.com/index.php/Buddha_quotes

Watch out for fake Buddha quotes, they're all over the internet and especially facebook memes.
https://fakebuddhaquotes.com/
User1249x

Re: I'm working on building a start page with quotes from the Buddha and would appreciate suggestions/feedback.

Post by User1249x »

Fake Buddha quotes are prominent. Find some generally agreed upon as real ones.
Idappaccayata

Post by Idappaccayata »

DNS wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:42 pm I have a short list of quotes from the Buddha here:
https://dhammawiki.com/index.php/Buddha_quotes

Watch out for fake Buddha quotes, they're all over the internet and especially facebook memes.
https://fakebuddhaquotes.com/
Thanks! I'll start implementing the quotes you shared. I noticed there are a lot of fakes ones in my list. I've just been deleting them as the come up. It will be tedius, but it might be better to just start from scratch.
A dying man can only rely upon his wisdom, if he developed it. Wisdom is not dependent upon any phenomenon originated upon six senses. It is developed on the basis of the discernment of the same. That’s why when one’s senses start to wither and die, the knowledge of their nature remains unaffected. When there is no wisdom, there will be despair, in the face of death.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

User1249x wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:47 pm Fake Buddha quotes are prominent. Find some generally agreed upon as real ones.
People would not understand the suttas if they were quoted instead of those fake quotes.
Not even the short poems in Kuddhaka Nikāya.
Not even the Jātakas.
Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
BKh

Post by BKh »

Kind of a related project, here is a WordPress plugin that can be used to add a random Dhammapada quote to a web page.
https://wordpress.org/plugins/real-buddha-quotes/

The code of the plugin is GPL licence, but the actual Dhammapada verses are still under copyright. But you probabaly have the coding done just fine already.

I would definitely recommend scrapping a list that had fake quotes and just start with a small number of real quotes. The Dhammapada translated by Ven Buddharakkhita on Access to insight is available for free distribution.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
Idappaccayata

Post by Idappaccayata »

BKh wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:54 am Kind of a related project, here is a WordPress plugin that can be used to add a random Dhammapada quote to a web page.
https://wordpress.org/plugins/real-buddha-quotes/

The code of the plugin is GPL licence, but the actual Dhammapada verses are still under copyright. But you probabaly have the coding done just fine already.

I would definitely recommend scrapping a list that had fake quotes and just start with a small number of real quotes. The Dhammapada translated by Ven Buddharakkhita on Access to insight is available for free distribution.
Wow that's cool, thank you. I've worked on wp sites in the past where would've been nice to have.

You're right though, I've already started to add them manually.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero
simsapa

Post by simsapa »

Why don't you just go to the original texts themselves and copy out what you like? You still have a bunch I'd say aren't genuine quotes.
Idappaccayata

Post by Idappaccayata »

simsapa wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:52 pm Why don't you just go to the original texts themselves and copy out what you like? You still have a bunch I'd say aren't genuine quotes.
When was the last time you checked? They are all verified sutta/dhammapada quotes now, unless I somehow forgot to push it live. Though, you may disagree with some of the translations.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero