Story of Ambedkar.

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
SarathW

Story of Ambedkar.

Post by SarathW »

Must watch the movie.
I never knew the absurdity of the caste system in India to this extent!
It also portrayed the vision of Buddha 2600 years ago.
If you can't watch the movie please type "Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar full movie English" in the Youtube search

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Re: Story of Ambedkar.

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

Hello,

With due respects to many beneficial deeds of Mr. Ambedkar, this Neo-Buddhist movement should be in connection to other paths.
  • Navayana
    According to Ambedkar, several of the core beliefs and doctrines of traditional Buddhist traditions such as the Four Noble Truths and Anatta were flawed and pessimistic, and may have been inserted into the Buddhist scriptures by wrong-headed Buddhist monks of a later era. These should not be considered as Buddha's teachings in Ambedkar's view.[32][36] Other foundational concepts of Buddhism such as Karma and Rebirth were considered by Ambedkar as superstitions.[32]

Navayana as formulated by Ambedkar and at the root of Dalit Buddhist movement abandons mainstream traditional Buddhist practices and precepts such as the institution of monk after renunciation, ideas such as karma, rebirth in afterlife, samsara, meditation, nirvana and Four Noble Truths.[37] Ambedkar's new sect of Buddhism rejected these ideas and re-interpreted the Buddha's religion in terms of class struggle and social equality.[36][32][38]

Ambedkar called his version of Buddhism Navayana or Neo-Buddhism.[39] His book, The Buddha and His Dhamma is the holy book of Navayana or Dalit Buddhists.[40] According to Junghare, for the followers of Navyana, Ambedkar has become a deity and he is worshipped in its practice.[41]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalit_Buddhist_movement

:heart:
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:28 pm Hello,

With due respects to many beneficial deeds of Mr. Ambedkar, this Neo-Buddhist movement should be in connection to other paths.
  • Navayana
    According to Ambedkar, several of the core beliefs and doctrines of traditional Buddhist traditions such as the Four Noble Truths and Anatta were flawed and pessimistic, and may have been inserted into the Buddhist scriptures by wrong-headed Buddhist monks of a later era. These should not be considered as Buddha's teachings in Ambedkar's view.[32][36] Other foundational concepts of Buddhism such as Karma and Rebirth were considered by Ambedkar as superstitions.[32]

Navayana as formulated by Ambedkar and at the root of Dalit Buddhist movement abandons mainstream traditional Buddhist practices and precepts such as the institution of monk after renunciation, ideas such as karma, rebirth in afterlife, samsara, meditation, nirvana and Four Noble Truths.[37] Ambedkar's new sect of Buddhism rejected these ideas and re-interpreted the Buddha's religion in terms of class struggle and social equality.[36][32][38]

Ambedkar called his version of Buddhism Navayana or Neo-Buddhism.[39] His book, The Buddha and His Dhamma is the holy book of Navayana or Dalit Buddhists.[40] According to Junghare, for the followers of Navyana, Ambedkar has become a deity and he is worshipped in its practice.[41]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalit_Buddhist_movement

Thank you. I see your point. This is a question of who is a Buddhist.
He took the refuge of Buddha, Dhamma, and Sangha as far as I understand.
Did you watch the movie to the end?
I thought the last 15 minutes were very dramatic.
Just imagine one million people become Buddhist in one day.
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Last 15 mins watched :smile:
I really like this ...
He said:
  • Buddha's teachings are modern, rational, & ever contemporary. There is no dogma. He makes you think, and live by reason.

This is not from movie.
And, I really like this, too :smile:
He reasoned:
  • "The Hindu Law of Karma is based on the soul. The Buddhist is not. In fact, there is no soul in Buddhism." referring to the Buddhist doctrine of Anatta, or no soul. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navayana

The only issue is the movie happens to be in session named "Theravāda Buddhist Practice > Dhammaduta (Dhamma propagation)". It belongs more to something like "Navayana Buddhist Practice > Dhammaduta (Dhamma propagation)", thanks to the fact that he is the founder of Navayana, not a propagator of Theravada.

V. Nanananda

V. Buddhādasa
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I think he did not have a good understanding of Buddha's teaching.
He was just scraping the surface. His questions are very similar to the questions we have in Dhamma Wheel .
If you check my past post you can find that I asked the same questions.

The free PDF of the book.
https://www.pdfdrive.com/buddha-and-his ... 93669.html
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Thanks a lot for the book. :anjali:

It's huge tho :shock:

I'm sure there's many a good thing to learn in that book.

V. Nanananda

V. Buddhādasa
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I think Ambedkar must have thought that Kamma and rebirth teaching in Buddhism is as same as Hinduism.
The general understanding is that you become a lower cast person is due to your past bad Kamma.
I think Ambedkar did not like that teaching.
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Very interesting writing:
  • The second problem is created by the four Aryan Truths. Do they form part of the original teachings of the Buddha? This formula cuts at the root of Buddhism. If life is sorrow, death is sorrow and rebirth is sorrow, then there is an end of everything. Neither religion nor philosophy can help a man to achieve happiness in the world. If there is no escape from sorrow, then what can religion do, what can Buddha do to relieve man from such sorrow which is ever there in birth itself? The four Aryan Truths are a great stumbling block in the way of non-Buddhists accepting the gospel of Buddhism. For the four Aryan Truths deny hope to man. The four Aryan Truths make the gospel of the Buddha a gospel of pessimism. Do they form part of the original gospel or are they a later accretion by the monks ?

Buddha and his Dhamma Written by Dr. B R Ambedkar

Oh, what a wonderful example for those who want to say: "Oh, this sutta or so & so teachings & interpretations must be very surely of later concoctions, because ... umm ... I can't digest it". :rofl:

It made my day. An epitomic representation of those who just love saying: "naah, those nasty later concoctions". :jumping:

V. Nanananda

V. Buddhādasa
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I agree.
That is why I said that Ambedkar did not have any clue about Buddhism, except he accepted because it rejected the cast system.
Buddha called this sort of people who are going to the forest seeking a heartwood and go home with a bunch of leaves.
I hope those millions of converted Buddhist one day realise the true Buddhism.