Dhamma for Deaf and Blind People

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
Ceisiwr

Dhamma for Deaf and Blind People

Post by Ceisiwr »

I didn’t know where to post this so please feel free to move admins.

In my experience of Buddhist centres, monasteries and general literature there is a general lack of access for blind and deaf people. Does anyone know of any organisations or charities who translate the suttas or sutras etc into audio or braille? Also, do we have any ideas of how to make Buddhist centres and monasteries more accessible to deaf and blind people?
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Dhamma for Deaf and Blind People

Post by Sam Vara »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:34 pm I didn’t know where to post this so please feel free to move admins.

In my experience of Buddhist centres, monasteries and general literature there is a general lack of access for blind and deaf people. Does anyone know of any organisations or charities who translate the suttas or sutras etc into audio or braille? Also, do we have any ideas of how to make Buddhist centres and monasteries more accessible to deaf and blind people?
As Cittaviveka there is hearing loop system installed in the Dhamma Hall. I imagine that the super-duper hall at Amaravati has one too.
BKh

Re: Dhamma for Deaf and Blind People

Post by BKh »

https://www.paliaudio.com/ for sutta recordings

And for a more comprehensive, but auto generated, https://voice.suttacentral.net
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |