Is Buddha the fifth most influential man in history?

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Is Buddha the fifth most influential man in history?

Post by DNS »

For a Buddhist, the Buddha is the most influential. For a Christian, it's Jesus and so on . . .

Since Islam and Christianity are the largest religions, their list makes sense. I would have liked to see Charles Darwin, at least somewhere in the top 10.

Most people think this is Buddha:

Hotei, the Chinese monk
Bhikkhu Ariyananda

Post by Bhikkhu Ariyananda »

Definitely the most influential being in the entire Universe 2500 years ago

The number of Humans who achieved Enlightenment is quite a Handful even though it may run into Millions in the past 2500 years compared to the number of beings in other realms that got liberated!

It is said during the time of Mahasamaya Sutta there were beings from 10 world systems (each with their 31 realms of existence) and the number of beings liberated was around 10^24 (that is 10 followed by 24 zeros) unfortunately I don't have any Sutta that can quote this.

There is also a story that Once a Monk was Meditating in a Cave and then recited the Mahasamaya Sutta and he heard someone saying Sadhu*3

When questioned by Monk who it was, the Deva in the cave said that she heard this after a long time being recited and that she was present when the Buddha himself had given that Dhamma Talk, and so the Monk goes on to ask this Deva definitely she would be an Ariya and the Deva confesses she is a Sotapanna.

The Monk asks to describe the scene and she says that there were so many Devas and Brahma's who were of high influence close to Buddha and that they could a
Shrink their bodies so that 100 Devas could fit into the blade of a SAW and there were so many even though they had shrunk their bodies she was somewhere close to Srilanka while the Buddha was preaching Mahasamaya somewhere around Bodhgaya Due to the sheer number of beings but she present but she could still hear the voice of the Buddha a d she was almost half submerged in the ocean.

I personally heard from a Monk from Myanmar his name was Sumangala Sayadaw about how his students are able to develop the Divya Cakku (Divine Eye) from which they are able to see other beings while they send their Citta out of their bodies and travel first 10 feet in front, 10 feet behind while meditating and having gained control and a good footing we can send our Cittas to other realms and he says there are Pagodas with Buddha's relic even in other realms and therefore Buddha's teachings aren't a joke.

So definitely our Dhamma Father, the Supreme Buddha the Greatest of all Beings, the most influential of all Beings of the Entire Cosmos :)

Lots of Metta
With Metta
Bhikkhu Ariyananda
https://ledimonk.wordpress.com/

"Wanting has no END but freedom from WANTING has an END" - Ajahn Brahm
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

SarathW wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:18 am Is Buddha the fifth most influential man in history?
In my opinion, the Gauthama Buddha is the most influential man in history however his achievement is not yet recognized by many even in India, his birthplace.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_100:_ ... in_History
That book should not be taken seriously
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...