Qualifications to teach Dhamma to another?

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
Mr. Seek

Qualifications to teach Dhamma to another?

Post by Mr. Seek »

What are some of the primary qualifications for teaching Dhamma to another? I'm not talking about just giving them a short 20-minute introduction, but more like a couple of lengthy lectures on everything that they need to know about Buddhism, including meditation, etc., until they are somewhat capable and independent. Basically, introducing someone to serious spiritual practice from start to finish; the whole nine yards.

I know that some suttas speak about this. Maybe the vinaya has something to say? I don't know. Can you please comment on what you think? Obviously, having knowledge and practice is essential, including teaching with compassion, for free, etc. But, for example, just how much practice is needed?

How would you describe the characteristics of a capable layman teacher? For example, I think he has to be, at the very least, an active meditator (3-6h per day minimum) who is devoted to unbinding, keeping the 8 precepts, etc., but maybe I'm putting the bar too low?
dharmacorps

Re: Qualifications to teach Dhamma to another?

Post by dharmacorps »

I would recommend reading the suttas where the Buddha discusses qualities of a good teacher, and qualities of the dhamma. I don't have references but he spoke about this at length and detail so this is the best guide.
coconut

Post by coconut »

I don't think any person is qualified to teach the dhamma. I think all a person can do is point another to the suttas. If you want to get someone into Buddhism, the dhammapadda is a great gateway. Beyond that, there's nothing much you can do.

I know people who were extremely interested in Buddhism without me having to say much, and I know people who couldn't bat an eyelash if you sat there and tried to talk to them for hours about it.

So if someone has the mental faculties and the proper circumstances to understand the dhamma, they will understand it quite effortlessly. If someone doesn't, then they won't be interested no matter what you do or say.
Alino

Post by Alino »

Watched it yesterday, on the 23:50 Ajahs discuss about who can teach.🙏

We don't live Samsara, Samsara is living us...

"Form, feelings, perceptions, formations, consciousness - don't care about us, we don't exist for them"
Mr. Seek

Post by Mr. Seek »

Alino wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:07 pm Watched it yesterday, on the 23:50 Ajahs discuss about who can teach.🙏

Thank you, that was interesting to watch!
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

sotapanna with metta and speaking skills
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Just another angle:
What qualifications does one need for me to learn some Dhamma from them?
I suggest: not a whole lot!
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Anybody can teach anything what they know or what they believe as far as there is someone to listen to them.
Buyer be aware! Perhaps Kalama Sutta provides how to assess a teacher.
In my opinion, what really matters is the skill of the student, not the teacher.
Even Buddha went to many teachers.
So teach whatever you can and learn whome ever you can.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

dharmacorps wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:11 pm I would recommend reading the suttas where the Buddha discusses qualities of a good teacher, and qualities of the dhamma. I don't have references but he spoke about this at length and detail so this is the best guide.
AN 5.159
Mr. Seek wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:51 pm What are some of the primary qualifications for teaching Dhamma to another?
Having at least one student that can understand. If there are no students that can understand, how can one be a "teacher"?
Alino wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:07 pm Watched it yesterday, on the 23:50 Ajahs discuss about who can teach.🙏
OMG - the monk cannot even talk for 1 hour, let alone 28 minutes, without drinking tea, coffee, water, whatever. :shock:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati