Buddhism was spread to Arabia in Buddha's time?

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
SarathW

Buddhism was spread to Arabia in Buddha's time?

Post by SarathW »

I have listened to a video in the Sinhalese language that Buddhism was spread to Arabia in Buddha's time.
The name of the country the monk visited was Sunnaparantha. (now Arabia)
They also claim that there was a temple in Arabia made of sandalwood exported from Sri Lanka.
It appears this account is found in a book named Divyavadana.(දිව්‍යවදානය )
"Lord, there is a country called Sunaparanta. I am going to live there."

"Punna, the Sunaparanta people are fierce. They are rough. If they insult and ridicule you, what will you think?"

"If they insult and ridicule me, I will think, 'These Sunaparanta people are civilized, very civilized, in that they don't hit me with their hands.' That is what I will think, O Blessed One. That is what I will think, O One Well-gone."
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

The following video (provided for source reference only) is in the Sinhalese language. The presenter was a blind academic in Sri Lanka scholar in theosophy. He got some incredible knowledge in all major religions. The video is about that there was Buddhism in Sri Lanka before the visit of Arahant Mahinda. To add some grain of salt he argues Mecca is that old temple!!

Last edited by SarathW on Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
confusedlayman

Re: Buddhism was spread to Arabia in Buddha's time?

Post by confusedlayman »

SarathW wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:12 am I have listened to a video in the Sinhalese language that Buddhism was spread to Arabia in Buddha's time.
The name of the country the monk visited was Sunnaparantha. (now Arabia)
They also claim that there was a temple in Arabia made of sandalwood exported from Sri Lanka.
It appears this account is found in a book named Divyapadana.
"Lord, there is a country called Sunaparanta. I am going to live there."

"Punna, the Sunaparanta people are fierce. They are rough. If they insult and ridicule you, what will you think?"

"If they insult and ridicule me, I will think, 'These Sunaparanta people are civilized, very civilized, in that they don't hit me with their hands.' That is what I will think, O Blessed One. That is what I will think, O One Well-gone."
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

The following video (provided for source reference only) is in the Sinhalese language. The presenter was a blind academic in Sri Lanka scholar in theosophy. He got some incredible knowledge in all major religions. The video is about that there was Buddhism in Sri Lanka before the visit of Arahant Mahinda. To add some grain of salt he argues Mecca is that old temple!!

buddhist say Mecca is buddhist temple or relic ... hindus say hindu god statue inside Mecca but it doesn't matter
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
48vows

Sunaparanta

Post by 48vows »

Sunaparanta is probably identical with Aparanta; the Burmese, however, identify it with the country on the right bank of the Irrawaddy River, near Pagan. Sas. Introd., p.ix.
https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/sunaparanta
Suppara or Supparaka. A seaport in India. It was in the Sunaparanta country and was the birthplace of Punna. There was regular trade between Bharukaccha, Supparaka and Suvannabhumi (See, e.g., Ap.ii.476 (vs.13f.); AA.i.156).

From Suppara to Savatthi was one hundred and twenty leagues (DhA.ii.214; UdA.85), Savatthi being to the north east of Suppara. UdA.84 (pubbuttaradisabhagayam). Vijaya and his followers landed there on their way to Ceylon, but had to leave because the people were incensed by their behaviour (Mhv.vi.46; Dpv.ix.15f). Ubbari was once born in Supparaka as a horse dealers daughter (DhA.iv.50). It was also the residence of Bahiya Daruciriya.
Supparaka (Skt. Surparaka) is identified with the modern Sopara in the Thana district, to the north of Bombay. Imperial Gazetteer of India sv., but see Sunaparanta.
https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/suppara