Beyond Mindfulness: In Search of Wisdom in a Secular Age

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
Chula

Beyond Mindfulness: In Search of Wisdom in a Secular Age

Post by Chula »

I recently published my first book - Beyond Mindfulness: In Search of Wisdom in a Secular Age.

I wrote it for intellectually-minded seekers who are wary of the dogmas of traditional religion but are interested in mindfulness meditation. It explores our unexamined adherence to the materialistic worldview and its ignorance of the primacy of consciousness. Nirvana—mental liberation—is then presented as the most meaningful goal to strive for, with the Buddhist path being the ultimate expression of self-improvement and spirituality.

If anyone is interested in a physical copy, it's available on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LBVKTD4) and locally in Sri Lanka at bookstores.

The e-book version is also available free to download at dhammavinaya.com.

Any feedback is appreciated :)

Beyond Mindfulness Paperback Cover 3 small.png
DooDoot

Re: Beyond Mindfulness: In Search of Wisdom in a Secular Age

Post by DooDoot »

Is this video about you?
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

PDF link:

https://dhammavinaya.com/wp-content/upl ... ar-Age.pdf

I found the table in page 37-40 was interesting.
I am not sure whether I agree with the table but interesting to see others comment.
Why a Buddhist country like Sri Lanka have a very high suicede rate?
Good effort from you.
However, try to contribute your experience from your own practice.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

First I bought the Kindle version. Then I downloaded the PDF file for my text-to-speech app. It is on my schedule for this afternoon coming up.
Chula

Post by Chula »

DooDoot wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:40 am Is this video about you?
Not sure what you mean - I'm guessing you meant it as a joke :)
Chula

Post by Chula »

SarathW wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:56 am PDF link:

https://dhammavinaya.com/wp-content/upl ... ar-Age.pdf

I found the table in page 37-40 was interesting.
I am not sure whether I agree with the table but interesting to see others comment.
Why a Buddhist country like Sri Lanka have a very high suicede rate?
Good effort from you.
However, try to contribute your experience from your own practice.
Thanks for taking a look.

Yes, Sri Lanka's suicide rate is quite the exception. My hypothesis is that Sri Lankans tend to be quite prideful, and that makes it hard to deal with sudden loss (especially since most suicides are tied to crop failure afaik). But my point is based on the overall trend. Either way, that is not a crucial part of the book.

I don't think I am quite in the position to write about my practice yet. Maybe in the future :)
Chula

Post by Chula »

Inedible wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:17 am First I bought the Kindle version. Then I downloaded the PDF file for my text-to-speech app. It is on my schedule for this afternoon coming up.
Hope you find it a good read! :)
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

A good read indeed. A couple of thoughts: is there enough focus on brain plasticity re : group think, mob behaviour, manipulation of behaviour from the viewpoint of Edward Bernays and 'the manufacture of consent.
It's interesting to see chinese buddha statues through history going through 'fashions'. Thin for some time then plump then slim again. Obesity is a reflection of so called leisure and lack of wisdom. Or : Are there examples in history that may provide some insights to what may only seem like a new phenomenon. In some suttas Buddha .talks about future evolution of societies.
Chula

Re:

Post by Chula »

sunnat wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:05 am A good read indeed. A couple of thoughts: is there enough focus on brain plasticity re : group think, mob behaviour, manipulation of behaviour from the viewpoint of Edward Bernays and 'the manufacture of consent.
Thanks for the feedback!

I do think Edward Bernays and the history of "manufacturing consent" is important to know about, but focusing on that might have been too much of a diversion from the purpose of the book. The "slot-machine" apps we are using are the most recent manifestations of this in practice, and far more influential because of how much data most companies have access to. I do mention that in the first chapter a bit.
sunnat wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:05 am It's interesting to see chinese buddha statues through history going through 'fashions'. Thin for some time then plump then slim again. Obesity is a reflection of so called leisure and lack of wisdom. Or : Are there examples in history that may provide some insights to what may only seem like a new phenomenon. In some suttas Buddha .talks about future evolution of societies.
I don't specifically connect obesity with a lack of wisdom, more that even our measures of happiness have limits. I think to say there will be more obesity if people have more leisure is arguable but not necessarily true - I think it's more a function of lack of time due to work pressures and ease of access to fast food. But this is a whole other topic of conversation.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Chula wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:19 am Not sure what you mean - I'm guessing you meant it as a joke :)
Looks like the same set of five aggregates.
Attachments
Chula.png
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

SteRo

Post by SteRo »

DooDoot wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:43 pm
Chula wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:19 am Not sure what you mean - I'm guessing you meant it as a joke :)
Looks like the same set of five aggregates.
What a stupid expression. "Looks like the same set of five aggregates." in the context of photographs. Please tell me where you have feeling, perception, volition and consciousness on these photographs which to you appear as reflecting these.
it seems you are imputing to form (visible photograph) your own fabrications.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Chula wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:23 am I recently published my first book - Beyond Mindfulness: In Search of Wisdom in a Secular Age.

I wrote it for intellectually-minded seekers who are wary of the dogmas of traditional religion but are interested in mindfulness meditation. It explores our unexamined adherence to the materialistic worldview and its ignorance of the primacy of consciousness. Nirvana—mental liberation—is then presented as the most meaningful goal to strive for, with the Buddhist path being the ultimate expression of self-improvement and spirituality.

If anyone is interested in a physical copy, it's available on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LBVKTD4) and locally in Sri Lanka at bookstores.

The e-book version is also available free to download at dhammavinaya.com.

Any feedback is appreciated :)

Beyond Mindfulness Paperback Cover 3 small.png
Thanks, Chula. I had a quick look and I think it's something I will like so I downloaded the pdf. I haven't had time to get back to it yet, but it's high on my list.

:namaste:
Kim
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

'By being honest by default, we give ourselves the best chance to understand our own minds.'
and the way practice is explained in terms of beginner, intermediate and advanced is really helpful.

On the whole a very worthwhile contribution. Reads like a very well developed thesis? Thank you for posting it.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

It is a good explanation of what we Buddhists do and how it is different compared to other people. It is also a nice reminder of things we may have let slide along the way.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

SteRo wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:50 pm you ... you ... you ... your own .
:focus: