SuttaCentral 2021: we are live!

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

https://suttacentral.net/

Clear your cache and refresh your browser: SuttaCentral 2021 is here!

We are proud to introduce the latest version of SuttaCentral. With this version, I finally feel that we have accomplished the goal I had in mind when setting out: to create a truly world-class, international site for the early Buddhist texts.

https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/su ... live/19603

:anjali:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
salayatananirodha

Re: SuttaCentral 2021: we are live!

Post by salayatananirodha »

hope it improved unlike last time
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

It gets better and better. Most of the Vinaya is now available with Pali in parallel, and more of the KN.

Navigation and Pali lookup are much improved.

However, I had to clear my cookies to get it to work fully.

:heart:
Mike
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

No indication yet on whether the one feature I want exists... namely, for the suttas to be fully Google search indexed.

I suspect the funny business they do with "cards" and the like makes that more difficult.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

mikenz66 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:25 pm It gets better and better.
There are now translations by Suddhāso Bhikkhu.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

:twothumbsup:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

retrofuturist wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:24 pm No indication yet on whether the one feature I want exists... namely, for the suttas to be fully Google search indexed.

I suspect the funny business they do with "cards" and the like makes that more difficult.
It may well be tricky to index things that are served dynamically, but I haven't noticed any particular problem with the searching that I've done.

What sort of thing fails for you?

Mike
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Mike,
mikenz66 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:05 am What sort of thing fails for you?
Moreso that I use the Google Saffron Theravada Search Engine which has both Access To Insight and Sutta Central indexed, but despite being a much older site, not actively maintained, and containing only a mere fraction of the Sutta Pitaka, ATI tends to bring back more Sutta results than Sutta Central.

More comprehensive indexing would benefit anyone who searches for Buddhist content via Google, and help more people find the site. I hope they have tweaked it to maximise indexing, despite the "dynamic" nature of the presentation that we each alluded to. Translations deserve to be read.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

retrofuturist wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:09 am Moreso that I use the Google Saffron Theravada Search Engine which has both Access To Insight and Sutta Central indexed, but despite being a much older site, not actively maintained, and containing only a mere fraction of the Sutta Pitaka, ATI tends to bring back more Sutta results than Sutta Central.
Interesting. Maybe it's because it's been static for a long time, has had lots of links to it, and has had plenty of time to get noticed by the algorithms...

I did try going to SC and copying some text from a random sutta that was reasonably unique, and Google had no trouble finding it.
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALe ... CA0&uact=5
so it's not that Google isn't seeing the text.

Mike
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

retrofuturist wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:09 am Greetings Mike,
mikenz66 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:05 am What sort of thing fails for you?
Moreso that I use the Google Saffron Theravada Search Engine which has both Access To Insight and Sutta Central indexed, but despite being a much older site, not actively maintained, and containing only a mere fraction of the Sutta Pitaka, ATI tends to bring back more Sutta results than Sutta Central.

More comprehensive indexing would benefit anyone who searches for Buddhist content via Google, and help more people find the site. I hope they have tweaked it to maximise indexing, despite the "dynamic" nature of the presentation that we each alluded to. Translations deserve to be read.

Metta,
Agree.
I pointed out this to the Sutta Central forum before they gave me the life ban.
They did not like when I gave ATI links when I make a post and some of the members insist that I should use Sutta central links.
Perhaps you must have noticed that I provide ATI links most of the time.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

mikenz66 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:58 am Mike
The Pali with Sujato translation does not appear to be working.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

DooDoot wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:05 am
mikenz66 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:58 am Mike
The Pali with Sujato translation does not appear to be working.
You may have to clear your cookies and cache. It's working fine for me with Chrome and Firefox.

Mike
BKh

Post by BKh »

They did not like when I gave ATI links when I make a post and some of the members insist that I should use Sutta central links.
For others reading this thread, I have never, ever, seen anyone care what site you linked to from the forum, as long as it was sutta. And no one gets banned for simply pointing out shortcomings of the search. There are several threads on the discussion forum about search. You'll just be told that search is difficult and they are working on it.

I'm also not sure why suttacentral.net is considered dynamic content. It's true that the pages are generated in a different way than other sites, but google indexes it just fine. If you can see it, so can google. Could there be something up with google saffron?
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Mike,
mikenz66 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:58 am Interesting. Maybe it's because it's been static for a long time, has had lots of links to it, and has had plenty of time to get noticed by the algorithms...
Although the way the Custom Search Engines work (apparently) is that they just filter a standard Google search according the websites on its internal index of white-listed sites... a bit like how one could code a Google Search query to only bring back DW responses, the CSE brings back responses from whitelisted sites only.

But now that you've cast a shadow on whether that's really how it works, I might try some other alternatives next time I'm on the hunt for a sutta that I can recall the thematic gist of, but not what collection it's in.

:thanks:

Metta,
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

All seems to be OK, but can anyone get line-by-line or side-by-side translations of the text, and activate the Pali word lookup? The Pali word lookup only seems to work for me when I am looking at the Pali version. I'm sure I could do it yesterday!

Edit: It's just come back. A sure sign that I am just clicking icons wildly, rather than thinking about what I am doing... :toilet: