SuttaCentral 2021: we are live!

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
Ceisiwr

Re: SuttaCentral 2021: we are live!

Post by Ceisiwr »

Sam Vara wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:40 pm All seems to be OK, but can anyone get line-by-line or side-by-side translations of the text, and activate the Pali word lookup? The Pali word lookup only seems to work for me when I am looking at the Pali version. I'm sure I could do it yesterday!

Edit: It's just come back. A sure sign that I am just clicking icons wildly, rather than thinking about what I am doing... :toilet:
There was an issue but I raised it with them. Must have fixed it.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

mikenz66 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:26 am You may have to clear your cookies and cache.
OK. Thanks. Its working now.
mikenz66 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:26 am It's working fine for me...
So you are going to start studying & analyzing sutta rather than rely on secular scholars. Cool. Maybe we can chat on Zoom about your personal investigations. :bow:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

I can't make head or tail of the new format.

:cry:

Could someone kindly tell me how I would go about finding, say, the Pali text of MN 2?
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Dhammanando wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:04 am Could someone kindly tell me how I would go about finding, say, the Pali text of MN 2?
By clicking here.

Or...

> Main Page
> Collection Of Middle Discourses
> Shortcut To All Suttas
> Scroll down

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
BKh

Post by BKh »

Dhammanando wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:04 am Could someone kindly tell me how I would go about finding, say, the Pali text of MN 2?
Well, from the home page you could click on the cards suttaPitaka>Majjhima>MajjhimaNikaya (that's the tricky bit, there are Chinese agamas)>First Fifty>chapter on root of all things

Then click on MN2. You will see a suta-plex card:
21-03-17 11_18_59-Mūlapariyāyavagga—Suttas and Parallels — Mozilla Firefox.png
There you see the translation languages as well as root text. Easy peazy.

But if you know that you want mn2, you can get to that card by typing suttacentral.net/mn2

Hope that helps.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Thanks Paul and BKh.

I can't understand why everyone's enthusing about this latest version. I could find what I was looking for much more quickly and easily with the older version and quickest and most easily of all with the very first version.

Actually the first version (still surviving as legacy.suttacentral.net, but unfortunately no longer updated) is still my first port of call, simply because I have a slow connection and it loads much faster than its newfangled successors.

"Old truths, old laws, old boots, old books and old friends are the best."
(An old Polish saying)
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Dhammanando wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:36 am Thanks Paul and BKh.

I can't understand why everyone's enthusing about this latest version. I could find what I was looking for much more quickly and easily with the older version and quickest and most easily of all with the very first version.

Actually the first version (still surviving as legacy.suttacentral.net, but unfortunately no longer updated) is still my first port of call, simply because I have a slow connection and it loads much faster than its newfangled successors.

"Old truths, old laws, old boots, old books and old friends are the best."
(An old Polish saying)
It is the proliferation of technology, Bhante :popcorn:
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.