Religious/Philosophy Education

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
mabw

Religious/Philosophy Education

Post by mabw »

Hi,

Is Religion/ Philosophy taught in public schools in your country? If so, what is covered and how is it tested in standardised tests? I know schools in the UK study the Good News Bible.

I'll be especially interested if you are from a Buddhist country.

I come from a Muslim-majority country. Muslims attend religious classes for a certain number of hours per week while non-Muslims have Moral Education.

Many thanks.
Ceisiwr

Re: Religious/Philosophy Education

Post by Ceisiwr »

mabw wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:42 am Hi,

Is Religion/ Philosophy taught in public schools in your country? If so, what is covered and how is it tested in standardised tests? I know schools in the UK study the Good News Bible.

I come from a Muslim-majority country. Muslims attend religious classes for a certain number of hours per week while non-Muslims have Moral Education.

Many thanks.
When I was in high school we have R.E. lessons for about 2-3 hours a week, spread out throughout the week. We learnt about the different major denominations of Christianity and Islam, a bit about Judaism and also atheist and secular views. Hinduism and Buddhism were only mentioned briefly. Apparently now they discuss Hinduism and Buddhism more, and some Jainism too which is great. I really enjoyed R.E. lessons.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
mabw

Post by mabw »

[quote=Ceisiwr post_id=621874 time=1621170644 user_id=143]

When I was in high school we have R.E. lessons for about 2-3 hours a week, spread out throughout the week. We learnt about the different major denominations of Christianity and Islam, a bit about Judaism and also atheist and secular views. Hinduism and Buddhism were only mentioned briefly. Apparently now they discuss Hinduism and Buddhism more, and some Jainism too which is great. I really enjoyed R.E. lessons.
[/quote]

Ah, okay. Was there standardised testing? How were questions phrased?

Also, was there philosophy at school? like Greek philosophy or works from the French and German thinkers?
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

mabw wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:28 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:10 pm
Ah, okay. Was there standardised testing? How were questions phrased?

Also, was there philosophy at school? like Greek philosophy or works from the French and German thinkers?
We had exams in it and could get a certificate of educating in it from high school. I can't remember the questions. I'm 33, so it was a long time ago :jumping: We didn't do any real philosophy no outside of atheism and agnosticism.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Many thanks.
I live in the UK and my 12 year old daughter studies "RP" ("Religion and Philosophy") as part of her curriculum. They look at a range of world religions (including atheism and humanism, etc.) and touch on philosophical questions such as civil rights, ideologies, leadership conflict, etc. They do standardised tests, mainly short essays.

Later, students can sit public exams based on Religious Studies, and on Philosophy.

In the UK, religious education has moved away from the study of Christianity, and is now more like comparative religion. The government are concerned about potential religious conflict and misunderstandings, and so the emphasis is on common ground, understanding minorities that they may not have been familiar with until they attended school, and tolerance.
mabw

Post by mabw »

Sam Vara wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:48 pm
I see. This is all very interesting. Tq. The only bit I know about RP is from what I watched on a BBC documentary probably 5 years or so ago about a group of young teachers starting out. I remember that it was stated that the Good News Bible was used in class. So I was under the impression that kids learned about Christianity at school.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

mabw wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:44 pm
I see. This is all very interesting. Tq. The only bit I know about RP is from what I watched on a BBC documentary probably 5 years or so ago about a group of young teachers starting out. I remember that it was stated that the Good News Bible was used in class. So I was under the impression that kids learned about Christianity at school.
They certainly do learn about Christianity at school, but it is increasingly within the context of comparative religion. I guess some use the Good News Bible because it is accessible.

There are two types of schools in the UK which are more overtly religious, and base the curriculum around religion a bit more. Most are Christian, some are Islamic, and one (private, fee paying) primary school is Buddhist.
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

Sam Vara wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:34 pm ... and one (private, fee paying) primary school is Buddhist.
Theravada?
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Many thanks.
I live in the UK and my 12 year old daughter studies "RP" ("Religion and Philosophy") as part of her curriculum. They look at a range of world religions (including atheism and humanism, etc.) and touch on philosophical questions such as civil rights, ideologies, leadership conflict, etc. They do standardised tests, mainly short essays.

Later, students can sit public exams based on Religious Studies, and on Philosophy.

In the UK, religious education has moved away from the study of Christianity, and is now more like comparative religion. The government are concerned about potential religious conflict and misunderstandings, and so the emphasis is on common ground, understanding minorities that they may not have been familiar with until they attended school, and tolerance.
That's a good way for the schools to go - in fact, almost the only viable way now that Christianity is only one of many sizeable traditions in the UK.
We're going to have to go the same way here, but not so fast. By the time we get around to it, the whole society may be so secularised that the philosophy part of the curriculum may be more important than the religion part.

:namaste:
Kim
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

mabw wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:42 am Is Religion/ Philosophy taught in public schools in your country?
Historically, in Australia, religion was not taught in public (government) school (although it probably can take as an 'elective' subject).
In Victoria, for example, the state department follows the Education and Training Reform Act. This act stipulates that public school education must be secular. Schools are not permitted to promote “any particular religious practice, denomination or sect, and must be open to adherents of any philosophy, religion or faith”.

https://this.deakin.edu.au/society/reli ... h%E2%80%9D.
However, in Australia, religion is taught in private schools, which are predominantly religious.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

mjaviem wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:09 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:34 pm ... and one (private, fee paying) primary school is Buddhist.
Theravada?
Having checked this, I found that it closed last year (probably due to covid at least in part):
It was founded I believe by lay supporters of Amaravati monastery, but I don't think it was particularly denominational. The Dalai Lama was a patron.