Theravada Buddhism for Young Generation

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
Dhammavamsa

Theravada Buddhism for Young Generation

Post by Dhammavamsa »

In my country Malaysia, a majority of serious practising Buddhist population is averagely older than 35 years old. Youngsters and those people in their 20s don't really like to be seen or labelled as Buddhists as they think it is old-fashioned, boring, and just a religion for dying people.

Meanwhile, when I was about 16 years old, a lot of my friends in school freely admit themselves as 'Buddhist' but when asked, they know nothing about Buddha. Worst, when explained to them, they will ditch away and said:"Ya right, an Indian man meditate under tree and bla bla bla, who cares? LOL"

Not to say they don't have interest in religion, because when Christian students come invite them to church sermon and hymn practice. They gladly accept their invitation and join them. And they often come back brainwashed and start bashing science class and other religions. I wonder how their family members react.

I know my country wasn't a Buddhist country (in fact, it is a Islamic country), what about other buddhist country like Thailand or Sri Lanka? How to instil their interest in Buddhism?
Deleted
SarathW

Re: Theravada Buddhism for Young Generation

Post by SarathW »

It is no difference in Sri Lanka either.
In my case, I got into Buddhism at a very late stage though I had a vague understanding of Buddhism.
Even adults get into Buddhism after a crisis seen that they are getting old and fear of the next birth.
This is to do with the lack of an education system and many monks do not know the teaching or do not know how to communicate.
In countries like Sri, Lanka Buddhism survive because of rituals.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Dhammavamsa wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:51 am Meanwhile, when I was about 16 years old... know nothing about Buddha.
:geek:
Dhammavamsa wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:51 amWorst, when explained to them, they will ditch away and said:"Ya right, an Indian man meditate under tree and bla bla bla, who cares? LOL"
Mostly lay Buddhists gain nothing special from meditation, apart from experiencing internal turmoil & dukkha. In the West, Buddhism meditation is often used as a self-help bu$ine$$, together with the bu$ine$$ of psychotherapy.
Dhammavamsa wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:51 amwhen Christian students come invite them to church sermon and hymn practice. They gladly accept their invitation and join them. And they often come back brainwashed and start bashing science class and other religions.
Christians have strong metta and preach forgiveness & heaven rather than 'kamma & rebirth'. Plus Asians are attracted to Christianity because it is Western and they love Western materialism. Asian Buddhism is too superstitious & gloomy for modern laypeople. For example, even though Christianity teaches Jesus is the Son of God, unlike Buddhism says about the Bodhisatta, Christianity does not teach the new born baby Jesus walked & talked from child birth. Who educated in modern world can believe these Buddhist stories?
Dhammavamsa wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:51 am I know my country wasn't a Buddhist country (in fact, it is a Islamic country), what about other buddhist country like ... Sri Lanka? How to instil their interest in Buddhism?
Buddhism failed in India and will probably fail everywhere else in Asia because it does not make sense to educated people; unless it is taught using proper truthful real principles. Hippy, leftist, SJW & libertine people have interest in Buddhism in the West because Western Buddhism is largely sexually amoral & they created a Buddha in their own image.

Your problem is you want to preach Buddhism but you do not appear to understand Buddhism very well. If you understood Buddhism properly, you would know what to teach to intelligent young people; to stimulate their intelligence & reason (such as photo below, where young people are taught the real truth about Dependent Origination).
Dhammavamsa wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:51 amwhat about other buddhist country like ... Thailand? How to instil their interest in Buddhism?
Bhikkhu Buddhadasa is an example of a modern teacher of Buddhist truth but you revile him. There is now a large Bhikkhu Buddhadasa Dhamma centre in Bangkok, also visited by famous western monks, such as Vens. Sumedho, Thanissaro, Amaro, Jayasaro, etc. The most famous Thai scholar monk and social activists follow Buddhadasa Bhikkhu but you revile them.

What do you think should be taught to young Malaysian people? Jataka Fables? :)
Attachments
BB young people.jpg
Last edited by DooDoot on Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

I think the only way to instil an interest in Buddhism in others is to practice to the best of our ability.
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

Well Doodoot, Buddhadasa movement is kinda down in Thailand. You can always go check Thai language Buddhist forums. Although Buddhadasa was once a famous figure in Buddhist circle in Thailand (just like the controversial wat Dhammakaya), but later on was dejected by many Thai Buddhists due to his controversial teachings. But still, Buddhadasa gained a strong support from Western secular or new agers buddhists. Yes, they got a Dhamma centre, so is the controversial heaven-selling Wat Dhammakaya :juggling: Maybe you can learn Thai language to know more their society. เราพูดภาษาไทยกันเถอะ :thumbsup:

I am not into preaching, it is not my duties. We had Buddhist Maha Vihara as the Buddhist Theravada Authority in Malaysia, with Dr K. Sri Dhammananda Mahanayaka Thera (deceased), along with his fellow monk colleagues such as Bhante Gunaratana Thera, Bhante Dr Punnaji Thera (deceased), Ven. Dhammaratana Mahanayaka Thera, Ven. Mahinda Thera, etc. Thanks to them, Malaysia got Buddha Dhamma. Before them, the so called "Buddhism" here is mere mysticism and superstition.

In Malaysia, our official national religion is Islam. So, many other religious activities were suppressed. Maybe our country Buddhism is a mix and match, with too many Pure Land sect and Tibetan cults. People are prone to confusion too. Maybe also due to Malaysia is a developing country, people generally pay more attention to materialism rather than renunciation. As long as you give good worldly promise and materialistic rewards, people will love you. That is why Christianity is doing well. This is something Buddhism can't excel well nowadays.

I do agree that Christians are really cheerful and nice, really helpful and easygoing. The young people are attracted to them (even I attended their church activities and got free meals). But the very core idea of Christianity is really corrupted and immature, and 'The God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins will show you why.

I see that you really interested in criticizing me. But that is okay. As for me, I held the Vibhajjavadin tradition, where the Gotama Buddha and Arahantas practiced, that is: Not falling into wrong views such as Eternalism and Annihilism as verified by Ven. Moggaliputta Tissa Arahant in Kathavathu, well commented by Mahavihara Elders in the past. To go the middle path.

To suggest there is a soul or self is evil and ignorant; to suggest there is no 'Punabbhavo' or YOLO idea, it is also evil and prone to destructive lifestyles. Only the middle path is the only correct path.

You said Jataka tales? Fantastic! That would be ideal for beginners. Like the Maha Janaka story (teaches perseverance), Vessantara King story (the generosity) or even Mora Jataka story (the danger of lust) are all great teaching materials. Thanks for the suggestion :thanks:

I see you posted a photo here. Did they gave you the permission to post here? I don't think it is nice to post people's picture on internet without concern. Are you one of those people in the photo?

.... And you think they are intelligent? What makes you think so?
Last edited by Dhammavamsa on Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

SarathW wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:48 am It is no difference in Sri Lanka either.
In my case, I got into Buddhism at a very late stage though I had a vague understanding of Buddhism.
Even adults get into Buddhism after a crisis seen that they are getting old and fear of the next birth.
This is to do with the lack of an education system and many monks do not know the teaching or do not know how to communicate.
Hi SarathW, Theruwan Saranai :buddha1: thanks for the info. :anjali:

I think Sri Lanka is beautiful, the people there still uphold the practice of 8 precepts on Poya days, visiting the Saririka Dhatu sites, paying respect to the monks...really wholesome indeed.

But I do realised there are several sects in Sri Lanka are highly controversial such as Waharaka sect. I think the monks should be more vigilant about it.

What do you think about Mahamevnawa sect? A new sect in Sri Lanka? :?:

I hope one day I can visit Sri Lanka too after covid19 pandemic. Really want to visit the Bodhi tree that brought over by Ven. Sanghamitta Mahatheri Arahanta wahanse. Here in Malaysia, there are many learned Sri Lankan people settled here, open business and live here too. They brought their Buddhist culture here and it is kinda nice too, like making Kiribath for Vesak, etc.

I learned first phrase in Sihalese is : "Sammasambudurajanan wahanse" which just means Buddha :clap:
Deleted
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

Sam Vara wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:44 am I think the only way to instil an interest in Buddhism in others is to practice to the best of our ability.
That is so true. Agreed wholeheartedly.
Deleted
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

The question is not about the Mahayana, but in the Diamond Cutter Sutra Ananda asks Buddha about the dark times to come when Buddhism is no longer flourishing. He wants to know if there will still be beings who are capable of understanding such a teaching as what he has been listening to. Buddha assures him that there always will be a few who are able to understand and work toward liberation for themselves and others.

It does seem bleak, though. Everyone I know is too busy chasing after solutions to more important problems than when they are going to die. When they solve all their other problems and taste enough sense pleasures to satisfy their craving minds, that is when they will make time to look at their situation. It has to be something they see for themselves. They have to realize there is nothing solid and reliable out there to cling to and they are going to be alone when they face death. That is when a Refuge like the Triple Gem starts to look like a good alternative.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Dhammavamsa wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:46 am Well Doodoot, Buddhadasa movement is kinda down in Thailand. You can always go check Thai language Buddhist forums. Although Buddhadasa was once a famous figure in Buddhist circle in Thailand (just like the controversial wat Dhammakaya), but later on was dejected by many Thai Buddhists due to his controversial teachings. But still, Buddhadasa gained a strong support from Western secular or new agers buddhists.
i doubt anyone engaged in habitual unsubstantiated speech can understand Buddhism. When Buddhadasa was alive, he did not have any dhamma centre in Bangkok. It appears the organisation is larger today than when he was alive.

Buddhadasa has more Thai followers than Western followers. Ajahn Chah was a follower of Buddhadasa, as were many Western monks under Ajahn Chah. Today, in the West, the largest monastic group is the Ajahn Chah group, which is related indirectly to Ajahn Buddhadasa's influence.

I mentioned Thailand's #1 scholar monk, P.A. Payutto, who was also a follower or influenced by Buddhadasa.

You do not seem to understand how important Buddhadasa is/was to Thai Buddhism and Western monasticism.
Dhammavamsa wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:46 amI see that you really interested in criticizing me. But that is okay. As for me, I held the Vibhajjavadin tradition, where the Gotama Buddha and Arahantas practiced, that is: Not falling into wrong views such as Eternalism and Annihilism as verified by Ven. Moggaliputta Tissa Arahant in Kathavathu, well commented by Mahavihara Elders in the past. To go the middle path.
You do not appear to know what Eternalism and Annihilism mean. Note: there is no such thing as "Annihilism" :lol: in Buddhism. Please quote sutta about the meaning of Eternalism and Annihilism? Thank you

You also appear to not know what the Middle Path is. The Buddha never taught "rebirth" as part of the Middle Path. The Buddha said "rebirth" is about "merit" & "attachment" (MN 117).
Dhammavamsa wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:46 amTo suggest there is a soul or self is evil and ignorant; to suggest there is no 'Punabbhavo' or YOLO idea, it is also evil and prone to destructive lifestyles. Only the middle path is the only correct path.
Again, you appear to not understand what Punabbhavo means. Punabbhavo does not mean "rebirth". It means "again becoming". "Becoming" is an "asava" or "mental state". It is you that is denying the reality of "punabhava". Please quote sutta about it? Thanks
Dhammavamsa wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:46 amYou said Jataka tales? Fantastic!
It is not fantastic. Very few young people have interest in Jataka. You have questions to answer above.
Dhammavamsa wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:46 amI see you posted a photo here. Did they gave you the permission to post here? I don't think it is nice to post people's picture on internet without concern. Are you one of those people in the photo?
The photo is from the internet. You are not making much sense saying it is bad to post a photo from the internet on the internet. I posted a link to the photo. Obviously I am not in the photo. :roll:
Dhammavamsa wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:46 am.... And you think they are intelligent? What makes you think so?
The Buddha taught wisdom is direct knowledge rather than speculation & blind belief. Very few young people have interest in Jataka. That is why you started this topic which demonstrates your confusion or lack of understanding about this matter. :smile:
Dhammavamsa wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:04 pm That is so true. Agreed wholeheartedly.
No, u do not appear to agree because "practise" is not speculative beliefs in unexperienced things. Obviously, you know little, if anything, about the path of practise to end suffering. The quality of your posts shows u do not have very much contribute, apart from over-excited Buddhist Evangelism. You claimed to "know" & "see" Sutta but have not demonstrated any evidence of this claim. :smile:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Dhammavamsa wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:51 am 16 years old
If a 16 year old asks you about sexual conduct & sexual misconduct, how will you answer them? :thanks:

simsapa

Post by simsapa »

First, people who call themselves Buddhist have to hold themselves to a high moral standard. We have to practice what we preach. Talking about kindness, generosity, non-clinging (as is done in many places when introducing Buddhism) and then doing the opposite in "real life" will not help. If we don't seem calm and restrained, then our image will naturally be tarnished. This, frankly, is not the fault of those who observe Buddhism from the outside. If Buddhism is holding on to values and ideas that are outdated, naturally people will feel they are outdated. I'm not passing judgment on what's right and what's wrong. It's just natural for these things to happen. They're just natural processes of change.

The best way to "spread" the dhamma is to follow it. You can't go up to people and spread the teachings at the intellectual level alone. That might work in a few cases where people are naturally receptive to the dhamma. Much better is to model good behavior, restrained speech and action, concern for the wellbeing of others, generosity with intention and understanding, etc. that is infectious. Freedom from suffering is a goal everyone can agree on, as no one wants to suffer or not get what they want or age or get sick, even a little bit.

It's also important to note that Buddhism is spreading around the world. In many places a wide range of people are coming to the teachings and taking them seriously. Again, this is part of the natural process of change.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Dhammavamsa wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:58 am
SarathW wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:48 am It is no difference in Sri Lanka either.
Hi SarathW, Theruwan Saranai :buddha1: thanks for the info. :anjali:

I think Sri Lanka is beautiful, the people there still uphold the practice of 8 precepts on Poya days, visiting the Saririka Dhatu sites, paying respect to the monks...really wholesome indeed.

But I do realised there are several sects in Sri Lanka are highly controversial such as Waharaka sect. I think the monks should be more vigilant about it.

What do you think about Mahamevnawa sect? A new sect in Sri Lanka? :?:

I hope one day I can visit Sri Lanka too after covid19 pandemic. Really want to visit the Bodhi tree that brought over by Ven. Sanghamitta Mahatheri Arahanta wahanse. Here in Malaysia, there are many learned Sri Lankan people settled here, open business and live here too. They brought their Buddhist culture here and it is kinda nice too, like making Kiribath for Vesak, etc.

I learned first phrase in Sihalese is : "Sammasambudurajanan wahanse" which just means Buddha :clap:
I don't know much about it except that lot of foreigners ordain there.
But there are some controversies around the establishment that I do not have any firsthand experience with.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

DooDoot wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:30 pm
Dhammavamsa wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:51 am 16 years old
If a 16 year old asks you about sexual conduct & sexual misconduct, how will you answer them? :thanks:
Just tell them the truth. People, no matter young or old, need to learn responsibility. That is why we have sex education.
Deleted
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

simsapa wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:52 pm First, people who call themselves Buddhist have to hold themselves to a high moral standard. We have to practice what we preach. Talking about kindness, generosity, non-clinging (as is done in many places when introducing Buddhism) and then doing the opposite in "real life" will not help. If we don't seem calm and restrained, then our image will naturally be tarnished. This, frankly, is not the fault of those who observe Buddhism from the outside. If Buddhism is holding on to values and ideas that are outdated, naturally people will feel they are outdated. I'm not passing judgment on what's right and what's wrong. It's just natural for these things to happen. They're just natural processes of change.

The best way to "spread" the dhamma is to follow it. You can't go up to people and spread the teachings at the intellectual level alone. That might work in a few cases where people are naturally receptive to the dhamma. Much better is to model good behavior, restrained speech and action, concern for the wellbeing of others, generosity with intention and understanding, etc. that is infectious. Freedom from suffering is a goal everyone can agree on, as no one wants to suffer or not get what they want or age or get sick, even a little bit.

It's also important to note that Buddhism is spreading around the world. In many places a wide range of people are coming to the teachings and taking them seriously. Again, this is part of the natural process of change.
:goodpost:
Deleted
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

Inedible wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:57 pm The question is not about the Mahayana, but in the Diamond Cutter Sutra Ananda asks Buddha about the dark times to come when Buddhism is no longer flourishing. He wants to know if there will still be beings who are capable of understanding such a teaching as what he has been listening to. Buddha assures him that there always will be a few who are able to understand and work toward liberation for themselves and others.

It does seem bleak, though. Everyone I know is too busy chasing after solutions to more important problems than when they are going to die. When they solve all their other problems and taste enough sense pleasures to satisfy their craving minds, that is when they will make time to look at their situation. It has to be something they see for themselves. They have to realize there is nothing solid and reliable out there to cling to and they are going to be alone when they face death. That is when a Refuge like the Triple Gem starts to look like a good alternative.
True, I can see now why certain company group owner & millionaire in my country turn to Buddhism when in old age...
Deleted