Was writing used 100 before Buddha's birth?

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
SarathW

Was writing used 100 before Buddha's birth?

Post by SarathW »

Was writing used 100 years before Buddha's birth?
I wonder when the writing started.
Another question is how long will it take to develop a particular wring style.

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DiamondNgXZ

Re: Was writing used 100 before Buddha's birth?

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

Writing was known to the Greek philosophers, who lived around the same time as the Buddha. Most people then regarded writing with suspicion as it relaxed the requirement of memorising. Like how calculators means people don't have to be good at simple arithmetic of even adding 2 digit numbers. Or how mobile internet means people forget simple facts and can just google it. Or how mobile phones means one doesn't need to remember many phone numbers, just one's own and maybe one's emergency contact as they are frequently asked for in filling forms.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thanks Bhante.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

I don’t know anything about the topic, but it literally took me thirty seconds to find this link https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History ... of_writing

Which I believe will be goood reading.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Pondera wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:45 am I don’t know anything about the topic, but it literally took me thirty seconds to find this link https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History ... of_writing

Which I believe will be goood reading.
which might lead to a new topic some time in the future, as our descendants unearth the DW archives. " Was googling used at the time of Dhamma Wheel?"
_/|\_