Why do people become religious?

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.

1) Political power and wealth provided by the group
3%
2) The greed - the benefits of belong to a group
3%
3) Charisma of the leader
5%
4) Fear of unknown
7%
5) Curiosity
14%
6) Brain washed by parents
10%
7) Unsatisfactoriness of life
28%
8) Magic nature of teaching - supernormal powers
3%
9) Miracle of teaching
14%
10) Desire to be a part of a common group
12%

Total votes: 58

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Why do people become religious? Please voted for your strongest point.
Please give if there are any other reasons with your experience.
I voted seven and nine as they are my strong reasons for being religious even though other factors have some contribution for it.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
TRobinson465

Re: Why do people become religious?

Post by TRobinson465 »

7 and 9 are my personal reasons as well. Although i dont believe that is why most people become religious. I think people usually become religious for identitarian reasons, ie. you are middle eastern so you are religiously muslim as a way to showcase your identity, somebody is american so they showcase thier american identity by being a religious christian, etc. Somebody is jewish american and feel it necessary to showcase thier identity by being religiously jewish. Basically 1, 2 and 10 are what seem to be why most people become religious, i would even say 2 and 10 are the same thing, while 1 is basically a very specific case based on the politics of where you live, being sunni or shiite in a place like Iraq for instance is a good example of number 1.

I think most of the things on the list are common reasons people in general become religious except for number 6. I have actually not met anyone who has been brainwashed by thier parents, usually if parents try to force religion on thier kids the kid just grows up to be non-religious maybe resentful towards thier parents religious group. I feel that most religious people i know who adopt the religion of thier parents do so for other reasons on the list. At least in groups that are not closed off, so excluding groups like the Amish or scientology, or some of those small cult groups.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

11. Ignorance
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

7 and 9 are good reasons. But for most people, I think it's 6 and 10, from pressure from their parents and wanting to belong to a group of like minded people.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

12. Mystical/spiritual/religious experience.
un8-

Post by un8- »

Lack of strong mental faculties
There is only one battle that could be won, and that is the battle against the 3 poisons. Any other battle is a guaranteed loss because you're going to die either way.
Mr. Seek

Post by Mr. Seek »

Literally voted for all of them
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

If you choose Theravada Buddhism, you become religious because you choose the right religion. After that, other forms of Buddhism are good options. I don't feel a need to say which religions are wrong because thinking it is enough.
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

A deep passion and longing for truth.
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

The Protestant rhetoric of "Religion bad, Truth good," is strong in this thread. Have people posting such things never had an Evangelical explain to them how Christianity "Isn't a religion?" That rhetotic, that polemic, is ubiquitous in "the West." Even Catholics get into it and it was originally intended to delegitimize them.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
sphairos

Post by sphairos »

Coëmgenu wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:54 pm The Protestant rhetoric of "Religion bad, Truth good," is strong in this thread. Have people posting such things never had an Evangelical explain to them how Christianity "Isn't a religion?" That rhetotic, that polemic, is ubiquitous in "the West." Even Catholics get into it and it was originally intended to delegitimize them.
It doesn't matter what they say, Chistianity is undoubtedly a religion, especially the Protestant type.

Buddhism is not any way, shape or form -- Buddhism is scepticism!!! The Buddha didn't hold nor advised to hold any view!
How good and wonderful are your days,
How true are your ways?
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

sphairos wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:42 pm
Coëmgenu wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:54 pm The Protestant rhetoric of "Religion bad, Truth good," is strong in this thread. Have people posting such things never had an Evangelical explain to them how Christianity "Isn't a religion?" That rhetotic, that polemic, is ubiquitous in "the West." Even Catholics get into it and it was originally intended to delegitimize them.
It doesn't matter what they say, Chistianity is undoubtedly a religion, especially the Protestant type.

Buddhism is not any way, shape or form -- Buddhism is scepticism!!! The Buddha didn't hold nor advised to hold any view!
The Buddha obviously taught a religion. A community of people who practice rituals and share an idea that you will be reborn in accordance with your actions, combined with faith in an awakened teacher, is a religion.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
sphairos

Post by sphairos »

Ceisiwr wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:59 pm
sphairos wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:42 pm

The Buddha obviously taught a religion. A community of people who practice rituals and share an idea that you will be reborn in accordance with your actions, combined with faith in an awakened teacher, is a religion.
Belief in anything, and especially in rebirth doesn't have anything to do with the teaching of the Buddha. Buddhism is scepticism.
How good and wonderful are your days,
How true are your ways?
Dhamma Chameleon

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

sphairos wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:42 pm Buddhism is not any way, shape or form -- Buddhism is scepticism!!! The Buddha didn't hold nor advised to hold any view!
He certainly advised to hold views (up til they are no longer needed) in particular right view. He did advise not to get attached to them.

If it quacks like a duck...

The question presupposes that people choose to become religious, I don't think most do. They're generally born into it. And I think the reasons are multiple and interrelated. So, all and none of the above. Those who do consciously choose are looking for an answer they cannot find elsewhere.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

sphairos wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:18 pm
Belief in anything, and especially in rebirth doesn't have anything to do with the teaching of the Buddha. Buddhism is scepticism.
The Buddha taught that part of the road to abandoning all dukkha is to have faith in him, and to accept rebirth. This ain’t secularism. If ultimately all is empty, including emptiness,
that does not subtract from the fact that the conventional is an essential part of getting there. I would also be wary of thinking you can just “think” your way into awakening. That simply by intellectually understanding the Dhamma there isn’t anything else to do.
Last edited by Ceisiwr on Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”