Gender Equality Poll

Some topics tend to get heated and go off track in unwholesome ways quite quickly. The "hot topics" sub-forum is a place where such topics may be moved so that each post must be manually approved by moderator before it will become visible to members.

Which Gender is the Superior?

1.Male gender is the superior
22%
2.Female gender is the superior
3%
3.Both are equal
62%
4.Partly 3 and partly 1
13%
5.Partly 3 and partly 2
No votes

Total votes: 63

DooDoot

Re: Gender Equality Poll

Post by DooDoot »

Watana wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:41 am Finding this topic on a Buddhist forum is sad, the people who voted for anything but gender equality should be ashamed of themselves.
Public shaming.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Eko Care wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:28 am If you have time, please describe the reasons for your choice.
Women are generally superior at making babies, breast feeding, changing nappies and cleaning the house.

Men are generally superior at most athletic activities, such as sports, and doing dirty dangerous jobs, such as working in coal mines & dying in war.

Women are generally superior at complaining, crying, demanding & blaming men.

Men are generally superior at having false sexual expectations & blaming women.

Women are generally superior in getting plastic surgery & buying make up.

Men are superior at establishing Dhammic religions, as history shows.

Therefore, at some things, women are superior. At other things, men are superior.

In relation to physical aging, illness & death, men & women are equal.
Last edited by DooDoot on Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:07 am, edited 7 times in total.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
chownah

Post by chownah »

In all things, some women are better than some men and some men are better than some women.
chownah
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

It depends what you mean by superior. I think they are equal in terms of personal qualities overall. In terms of strength men are generally superior. In terms of social skills women are generally superior. Overall I'd say it balances it out.

In terms of spiritual progress both are capable of the highest goal. If you mean quality of life I would say men do have superior qualities of life since there are sufferings women have to undergo that men do not.

https://suttacentral.net/sn37.3/en/sujato

But I don't really think this would make anyone "superior" or "inferior".
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

retrofuturist wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:55 pm Greetings,

Regarding someone as better, worse or equal is mana, conceit.

On that basis, this poll appears ill-advised.

Metta,
Paul. :)
This.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

"male" and "female" appear only due to social conditionings.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Lots of men see women as superior and having more fun. That is why they are trying to become women with drugs and surgeries.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Inedible wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:33 am Lots of men see women as superior and having more fun. That is why they are trying to become women with drugs and surgeries.
For me that seems to be an outlandish hypothesis. Is it based on social research or do you experience women being "superior and having more fun"?
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

SteRo wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:06 am "male" and "female" appear only due to social conditionings.
What does this mean, please? Do you mean that primary sexual characteristics are no more than social constructs, or do you mean that the terms "male" and "female" which are based on those characteristics are socially determined, or perhaps something else?
nmjojola

Post by nmjojola »

Inedible wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:33 am Lots of men see women as superior and having more fun. That is why they are trying to become women with drugs and surgeries.
I'm not so sure it's due to seeking enjoyment or trying to advance from some inferior state of being.

Having been friends with a lot of this type since childhood I have watched many go through the "transition", and it's been my experience witnessing and talking to my friends that they all had something in common, and that thing in common between them which I observed over time is what I feel can be best described as a survival response (not to a physical danger or threat, but to a psycho-social one).

It would make sense that sakkaya, or personhood, wouldn't assimilate agreeably into an environment it perceives as uninhabitable.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

No, that's incorrect.. I think you need to carefully research transgender issues with an open mind .

Inedible

Post by Inedible »

SteRo wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:56 am For me that seems to be an outlandish hypothesis. Is it based on social research or do you experience women being "superior and having more fun"?
I didn't say I was one of those men who want to become a woman. Personally, I believe that people do not get put in the wrong body by mistake. Also, I really think that being wealthy would be much more fun than drugs and surgery. But I did meet someone who was married and had a son who started out wearing dresses at work for comfort reasons. He then started taking hormones to grow his own breasts and saving money to have his penis turned into a vagina. He left his wife and son for another man who was at the same stage of transformation so that they could go be lesbians together.
nmjojola wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:50 pm It would make sense that sakkaya, or personhood, wouldn't assimilate agreeably into an environment it perceives as uninhabitable.
All bodies are dukkha. They should invest their time and energy in leaving Samsara.
Aloka wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:08 pm No, that's incorrect.. I think you need to carefully research transgender issues with an open mind .
Maybe some day doctors or scientists will be able to change a man into a woman or a woman into a man. Until then, it is drugs and cosmetic surgery. It is also very expensive.

And one more thing. Before the pandemic, I was increasingly seeing people that I couldn't readily identify as either a man or a woman. Usually, morbid obesity was involved, but not always. I want to know if there is a polite way to ask if a person is a man, woman, or transgender person. Other than just saying what the f- are you?.
Gwi

Post by Gwi »

In the concept of Abhidhammå,
Male are the superior gender.
Female are inferior.

Just read: Abhidhammatthasanggahå

That's why the head of the household is a man.
Never a gurl.

Heavenly kings (Sakkå) are male, not female.

Buddhå is male, not female.

However, whoever has the highest wisdom,
He/she is the one who is superior,
Whether male or female.

Inferior and superior is just a matter of gender.
Bahagia Tidak Harus Selalu Bersama

Dhammapadå 370
"Tinggalkanlah 5 (belantara) dan patahkan 5 (belenggu rendah),
Serta kembangkan 5 potensi (4 iddhipādā + 1 ussoḷhi).
Bhikkhu yang telah menaklukkan 5 kungkungan (belenggu tinggi),
Lebih layak disebut 'orang yang telah mengarungi air baih (saṃsārå)'."
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Both are equal in term of attaining Enlightenment and also worldly wholesomeness.

But not equal when comes to certain positions, eg: a Sakka, Mara, Maha Brahma, Paccekabuddha, Sammasambuddha, Cakkavati Maharaja, & a Bodhisatta (Buddha-to-be in the last existence) is never to be a woman,
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Gwi II

Post by Gwi II »

SarathW wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:02 pm What do you mean by a superior?
According to Buddhist teaching, both male and female both can attain Nibbana. (highest)
When you attain Nibbana you eliminate all measurements (mana) such as gender equality as it not applies.
In Abhidhammo (i forgot in where):
male = superior (gender); FEMALE
= INFERIOR. ONLY IN GENDER.

Why? Try answering these questions:
(1) "Can a woman be the head of the family?"
(2) "Can women become Buddhas?" (3) "Can
a woman become Sakko?" (4) "Can a woman
become Mahābrahmā?"

The answer is IMPOSSIBLEEEEE!!

Contrast this with the question, "Life is dukkha!"
If misunderstood, people will accuse Buddhism
(teaching) "It's better not to live!". The correct
understanding is "birth definitely ends in death,
at birth, we even experience various torments,
as explained in the Abhidhammattha-Sanggaho.
When in the womb we experience heat, cold, and
so on, at birth, blood sticks to our body, this must
be cleaned, it really hurts, etc. Or just read MN 13
(my favorite).

If we talkin'bout GENDER (again: gender),
MALE = SUPERIOR-GENDER (again: gender).
:anjali:
Gwi: "There are only-two Sakaṽādins:
Theraṽādå&Ṽibhajjaṽādå, the rest are
nonsakaṽādins!"