Dhamma that triggers SJWs

Some topics tend to get heated and go off track in unwholesome ways quite quickly. The "hot topics" sub-forum is a place where such topics may be moved so that each post must be manually approved by moderator before it will become visible to members.
binocular

Re: Dhamma that triggers SJWs

Post by binocular »

mikenz66 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:34 pmYes, probably unrealistic, but I was trying to bring some balance to the thread by trying to find some suttas that might trigger people who are triggered by the concept of SJW.
Why not, you know, end the triggering, and just start shooting, and be done with it?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

DNS wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:20 am
Will wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:17 am Roy Rogers and Trigger are long dead, so we really should not keep beating that dead horse.
I think most DW members are too young to know what you're talking about. :D

I might even be too young, but I'll take a shot at it.

Trigger was the name of his horse and is in reference to people being "triggered" and beating a dead horse saying is appropriate as it applies to discussions too.

Roy Rogers was famous for always saying "I never met a man I didn't like" so I assume that is in reference to pollyanna people who get triggered when that paradigm is not met?
Age is just a concept, except when my knees, the mirror, my extended memory & DNS remind me. :)
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Will wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:03 pm Age is just a concept, except when my knees, the mirror, my extended memory & DNS remind me. :)
:D :thumbsup:

Back when Harry Reid was Senate majority leader (U.S. Senator from Nevada), there were some bumper stickers that read:

Roy Rogers never met Harry Reid
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

binocular wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:13 am
mikenz66 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:34 pmYes, probably unrealistic, but I was trying to bring some balance to the thread by trying to find some suttas that might trigger people who are triggered by the concept of SJW.
Why not, you know, end the triggering, and just start shooting, and be done with it?
It's interesting that the idea expressed in some suttas of Women being dominant in some areas of life didn't seem to generate much interest. However, Samvara said:
Sam Vara wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:52 pm Actually this made me think of the ideal marriage in tough working class communities of fifty or so years ago in the UK. It's perfectly compatible with the man being a strong protector and a breadwinner; a source of male pride that he can support a domestic matriarchy. When there are few opportunities for women to work outside the home, there's something almost unmanly about getting involved in domestic bickering about the home and the children. I think we need to assume that the Buddha only had experience of societies where duties were strongly sex-segregated, and that his concern was for the sort of domestic harmony that avoids the generation of dark kamma.
I have also seen this play out in domestic arrangements in Asia, with women being at "home", but running a small business from their house, and seeming to be making most of the decisions there, while the men work outside.

:heart:
Mike
Dan74-MkII

Post by Dan74-MkII »

mikenz66 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:58 pm
binocular wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:13 am
It's interesting that the idea expressed in some suttas of Women being dominant in some areas of life didn't seem to generate much interest. However, Samvara said:
Sam Vara wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:52 pm Actually this made me think of the ideal marriage in tough working class communities of fifty or so years ago in the UK. It's perfectly compatible with the man being a strong protector and a breadwinner; a source of male pride that he can support a domestic matriarchy. When there are few opportunities for women to work outside the home, there's something almost unmanly about getting involved in domestic bickering about the home and the children. I think we need to assume that the Buddha only had experience of societies where duties were strongly sex-segregated, and that his concern was for the sort of domestic harmony that avoids the generation of dark kamma.
I have also seen this play out in domestic arrangements in Asia, with women being at "home", but running a small business from their house, and seeming to be making most of the decisions there, while the men work outside.

Mike
I've seen many arrangements, a few that seem to work and many that don't. Ultimately, it's not so much about power, but care, respect and a common project. If those factors dominate, rather than the egos, people naturally let each other take dominant positions where appropriate, ie where the one partner performs better than the other. For instance, in our family I cook and earn main ncome, my wife is in charge of organising major events, like renovations, moving countries or houses, managing the kids' various activities and engagements and cleaning. When it comes to making important decisions, everybody has a say, including the kids, and then we come to a consensus (well, at least the parents, but usually everyone).

Not to say that it's ideal, but I can honestly say that power, domination and getting one's way are not decisive.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

How about Moggallana Theragatha...

https://suttafriends.org/sutta/thag20-1/
11174695_944345602264710_8468464354706570031_o.jpg
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

binocular wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:13 am Why not, you know, end the triggering, and just start shooting, and be done with it?
You'll probably find some Trump supporters who'd agree with that. :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

“Be patient, Venerable Kassapa, women are foolish.”
- Venerable Ananda in Upassayasutta (SN 16.10)
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Ontheway wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:36 pm
Here's Bhikkhu Bodh's footnote:
Bhikkhu Bodhi wrote:Khamatha bhante Kassapa bālo mātugāmo. I have translated this sentence with complete fidelity to the text, aware that some readers might find the rendering provocative. One consultant told me, “You’ve just lost half your readership,” and suggested I avoid drawing criticism to the translation by rendering bālo mātugāmo as “she is a foolish woman.” To my mind, this would distort the meaning of the Pāli in subservience to current views of gender. I do not see how the sentence could be construed in any other way than I have rendered it. I leave it to the reader to decide whether Ānanda himself could actually have made such a statement or whether it was put into his mouth by the compilers of the canon.
Mike
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Deadelectronics

Post by Deadelectronics »

mikenz66 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:10 pm
Ontheway wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:36 pm
Here's Bhikkhu Bodh's footnote:
Bhikkhu Bodhi wrote:Khamatha bhante Kassapa bālo mātugāmo. I have translated this sentence with complete fidelity to the text, aware that some readers might find the rendering provocative. One consultant told me, “You’ve just lost half your readership,” and suggested I avoid drawing criticism to the translation by rendering bālo mātugāmo as “she is a foolish woman.” To my mind, this would distort the meaning of the Pāli in subservience to current views of gender. I do not see how the sentence could be construed in any other way than I have rendered it. I leave it to the reader to decide whether Ānanda himself could actually have made such a statement or whether it was put into his mouth by the compilers of the canon.
Mike
The consultant is pretty stupid. By telling him that, they just gave the quote more authenticity since some of it has to be true in their mind to tell the bikkhu that. :roll:
Joy at last to know there is no happiness in the world!
Jack19990101

Post by Jack19990101 »

Some snippets of sutta are by status quo, politically incorrect, culturally inappropriate. It is inevitable.

As sutta is fixed, yet culture & politics are as transient as seasonal wind.
Wind blows east blows west, but sutta is like a mountain, undisturbed.

It is unnecessary to explain sutta in a political correct approach. As soon this explanation gonna too be wrong.
It might be better just have waited out.
robertk

Post by robertk »

Jack19990101 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:58 pm Some snippets of sutta are by status quo, politically incorrect, culturally inappropriate. It is inevitable.

As sutta is fixed, yet culture & politics are as transient as seasonal wind.
Wind blows east blows west, but sutta is like a mountain, undisturbed.

It is unnecessary to explain sutta in a political correct approach. As soon this explanation gonna too be wrong.
It might be better just have waited out.
:anjali:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

From the video retro posted:

"There is no equality in the 31 planes of existence."

:D This is true and as they noted, no equality in the human realm (either). Humans have a wide variety of skills and abilities, some which might be considered superior, some inferior.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
DNS wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:45 am Humans have a wide variety of skills and abilities, some which might be considered superior, some inferior.
Agreed, and the Suttas provide some explanation for this phenomenon.

The Suttas do praise equality (e.g. universality of brahma-viharas, being just and not partisan, opposing the caste system) but they never promote equity (i.e. equal outcomes attainable only temporarily via unjust government interference).

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."