Dhamma that triggers SJWs

Some topics tend to get heated and go off track in unwholesome ways quite quickly. The "hot topics" sub-forum is a place where such topics may be moved so that each post must be manually approved by moderator before it will become visible to members.
Aloka

Re: Dhamma that triggers SJWs

Post by Aloka »

Being a Social Justice Warrior

auto

Post by auto »

A man who desires to keep being male from birth to birth, let him avoid another’s man wife as a man with washed feet the mire.
A woman who desires to become male from birth to birth, let her worship her husband like he is the king of heaven.
seem what sex you born is not defining what you actually are without physical body. Like a female can born as a male, other words a physical body male can be a female.

am i sjw based on what i just did?

to develop further, then an animal can be a human, hence human is temporally animal because of some reasons.
When I passed from that birth I was born in a family among the Vajji people but I was neither man nor woman, for it is a very hard thing to attain the being born as a man;—this was the fatal consequence of my going after other men’s wives
here, it seem like when you chase other men wives its harder and harder to attain birth as a man. So it is possible that there is a "choice" done from afterlife to what to born into or as but consequences make it easier or harder to choose.
SDC

Post by SDC »

budo wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:23 am Do you see the problem with leftism and their ideas?
What seems to cause a lot of trouble is the mindset of “do you see the problem with…”; the endless search for what is bothersome. This is not just directed at you, budo, it is everyone. Pick any ideological spectrum and that is all either side does to one another. It is a battle to publicly rationalize and stabilize one another’s private views with the hopes that the external can match the internal – there is nothing more harmonious in terms of worldliness than having external conditions meet with one’s internal preferences; but aside from the Buddha’s recommendation to ordain if one is looking for the best external conditions for success, such externally directed harmonizing does not have very much to do with the practice. In fact, moving against the grain is a deliberate rejection of such an equalization. Obviously the teaching is conducive to creating better external conditions, but it is not the principle reason the Buddha intended (if it were, the suttas would be far more explicit on the matter).

Back to SJWs…the reason people categorized as such make others so uncomfortable is because they are impolite and unwavering about issues that don’t concern the majority of people, and yet the prospect of those issues affecting change is apparently very threatening. They also happen to be doing it in a way that garners quite a bit of media attention. Here in NYC a gathering of less than 50 people may get quite a bit of regional media attention. I find it perplexing, but I can also understand that many frustrated and passionate people have entered the field of journalism, so it is no surprise that these stories are getting so much play. Also, I think the internet is spooking those who are threatened by SJWs; just because “it made it on the internet” doesn’t mean it is going to makes its way into your home. Even so, people should ask themselves what are they so afraid of. If you want to remain who you are, then do so.

All in all, while I personally would not try to affect change using such methods, or rather, change at that level is not my first priority, I try to remember that I was once impolite and unwavering when I was rejecting norms as a teenager, and that I am still impolite and unwavering in my relentless internal pursuit for knowledge. If I’m going to “see the problem with” anything, it is going to be how I think and how I act, with the secondary hope that what I do and say will positively affect those around me without me having to tell them what I find displeasing in the world.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

the birth stories occur in the suttas, they aren't the same as the 'jataka tales', apart from the other suttas
the suttas used to be grouped together according to that format, i.e., birth stories, verses, amazing events, etc.
you should be more careful calling things 'dhamma', especially when you're using it as a platform for your machismo
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
chownah

Post by chownah »

SDC wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:06 pm ......
Back to SJWs…the reason people categorized as such make others so uncomfortable is because they are impolite and unwavering about issues ......
Are you claiming that "a person who expresses or promotes socially progressive views" is impolite and unwavering about issues?......isn't "a person who expresses or promotes socially progressive views" the kind of person who gets associated with the pejorative views associated with the moniker "sjw"?
chownah
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

:rules:

Hi everyone. We don't want to get into discussion about SJW's, in and of themselves, here at Dhamma Wheel.

This topic is connected to the Dhamma, and needs to remain connected to the Dhamma moving forward... and discussion of SJW's, in and of themselves, is not that.

Instead, I would recommend topics at Dharma Wheel Engaged, such as Hellish Psyche of SJWs or What is an SJW? where these matters could be more profitably explored.

If this topic gets too far off track, it might find its way to the Hot Topics section, where each individual post will require moderator confirmation that it is on topic.

:thanks:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

salayatananirodha wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:29 pm the birth stories occur in the suttas
for example? are the more than 10? thanks
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

retrofuturist wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:38 am This topic is connected to the Dhamma, and needs to remain connected to the Dhamma moving forward... and discussion of SJW's, in and of themselves, is not that.
If this topic is supposed to be about the Dhamma, I think that it would have been much better to use a thread title like:
"Extracts from suttas and jataka tales that I imagine that some people whose views I disagree with might have difficulty accepting."

When labels such as "SJW", "Facist", "Nazi", "Cafe Buddhist", or whatever, are wheeled out, I find it very difficult to take the argument seriously. Maybe that's just me...

What was the Dhamma point (I think it got lost in the noise)? That some of the suttas contain statements and suggestions that seem contrary to the way modern societies and relationships work? That's actually something worth discussing.

This advice was in the OP, and doesn't seem too bad, though perhaps there are some men who might be uncomfortable with following all of the suggestions:
A husband should serve his wife as the western quarter in five ways: by treating her with honor, by not looking down on her, by not being unfaithful, by relinquishing authority to her, and by presenting her with adornments. A wife served by her husband in these five ways shows compassion to him in five ways. She’s well-organized in her work. She manages the domestic help. She’s not unfaithful. She preserves his earnings. She’s deft and tireless in all her duties. A wife served by her husband in these five ways shows compassion to him in these five ways. And that’s how the western quarter is covered, kept safe and free of peril.
https://suttacentral.net/dn31/en/sujato#sc52
:heart:
Mike
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Mike,
mikenz66 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:14 am If this topic is supposed to be about the Dhamma, I think that it would have been much better to use a thread title like:
"Extracts from suttas and jataka tales that I imagine that some people whose views I disagree with might have difficulty accepting."
Or "Sutta teachings that could be deemed "problematic" by Engaged Buddhists".

It could have been any number of things, but I don't really think it's that unclear what the topic is.

However, to take your point, the OP could take a look at A guide on how to get the most out of your new topics and see whether anything could be made clearer in the future.

Anyway...

:focus:

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

retrofuturist wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:49 am Greetings Mike,
mikenz66 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:14 am If this topic is supposed to be about the Dhamma, I think that it would have been much better to use a thread title like:
Or "Sutta teachings that could be deemed "problematic" by Engaged Buddhists".

It could have been any number of things, but I don't really think it's that unclear what the topic is.

However, to take your point, the OP could take a look at A guide on how to get the most out of your new topics and see whether anything could be made clearer in the future.

Anyway...

:focus:

Metta,
So what is the point of discussion or is the OP just intended to be a list?
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

When labels such as "SJW", "Facist", "Nazi", "Cafe Buddhist", or whatever, are wheeled out, I find it very difficult to take the argument seriously. Maybe that's just me..
I didn't even know what "SJW" meant and had to look it up! Its not a term that occurs in my everyday life away from the internet.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Mr Man wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:58 am So what is the point of discussion or is the OP just intended to be a list?
That's probably a question best put to the OP, but list/resource topics are nothing new.

Metta,
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

retrofuturist wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:49 am It could have been any number of things, but I don't really think it's that unclear what the topic is.
I take is that he vehemently disagrees with certain views. Is that how you read it?

As I said, the issue of how seriously we should take the advice in the suttas regarding how society should function is an interesting question and I'd be interested to hear whether the advice of the quote I (and he) gave above should be followed, particularly the bolded part:
A husband should serve his wife as the western quarter in five ways: by treating her with honor, by not looking down on her, by not being unfaithful, by relinquishing authority to her, and by presenting her with adornments.
This suggests quite a collaborative approach to marriage, which may be surprising if one expects to just read about a woman obeying her husband...

Here's some other interesting suttas:
“Mendicants, there are these five powers of a female. What five? Attractiveness, wealth, relatives, children, and ethical behavior. These are the five powers of a female. A female living at home with these five powers has her husband under her mastery.”
https://suttacentral.net/sn37.26/en/sujato
There are five things that are easy to get for females who have made merit.
‘Having been born into a suitable family, and married into a suitable family, and living at home without a co-wife, and having had children, may I master my husband!’
https://suttacentral.net/sn37.32/en/sujato#sc2
:heart:
Mike
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

retrofuturist wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:26 am Greetings,
Mr Man wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:58 am So what is the point of discussion or is the OP just intended to be a list?
That's probably a question best put to the OP, but list/resource topics are nothing new.

Metta,
Perhaps someone from the moderation team could have the op clarify what the thread is actually about
binocular

Post by binocular »

Mr Man wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:59 amPerhaps someone from the moderation team could have the op clarify what the thread is actually about
Seconded.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!