Religion of peace

Some topics tend to get heated and go off track in unwholesome ways quite quickly. The "hot topics" sub-forum is a place where such topics may be moved so that each post must be manually approved by moderator before it will become visible to members.
Ceisiwr

Re: Religion of peace

Post by Ceisiwr »

The article also seems to miss the point somewhat. It’s not a question of if Buddhists have been horrid and Muslims saintly. The question is if there is a logical pathway between the Dhamma and being violent or not and if there is a logical pathway between Islam and being violent, or not? For the Dhamma the answer is no, for Islam the answer is yes.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

I am not sure if anyone here wants to stay in a country or society where the majority are Muslims . But , I am certainly not going to if there is a choice . Live in it and then tell us how would you feel .
Please , by all means , no straight black and white in any cases , but do invite yourself , if anybody might be interested migrate to one of Islamic country .
You always gain by giving
Grigoris

Post by Grigoris »

sentinel wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:25 am I am not sure if anyone here wants to stay in a country or society where the majority are Muslims . But , I am certainly not going to if there is a choice . Live in it and then tell us how would you feel .
Please , by all means , no straight black and white in any cases , but do invite yourself , if anybody might be interested migrate to one of Islamic country .
During the peak of the recession in Greece (when it was impossible for me to find work) I was invited to Turkey to live and work. The only thing that stopped me was the fact that my wife had a decent job and did not want to leave Greece and I was not interested in splitting up with her (having chosen money over love in the past and seeing the consequences of that).
ye dhammā hetuppabhavā tesaṁ hetuṁ tathāgato āha,
tesaṃca yo nirodho - evaṁvādī mahāsamaṇo.

Of those phenomena which arise from causes:
Those causes have been taught by the Tathāgata,
And their cessation too - thus proclaims the Great Ascetic.
Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte »

sentinel wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:25 am I am not sure if anyone here wants to stay in a country or society where the majority are Muslims . But , I am certainly not going to if there is a choice . Live in it and then tell us how would you feel .
I would invite you to leave your country too, if that is your wish.

I do not wish to migrate to any country. However, I lived in a 60% Muslim country for two years for work. Fine place and I made friendships with people of all beliefs. If you are interested in comparative religion you might want to see https://www.amazon.com/Common-Ground-Be ... 1891785621. As this is not a comparative religion forum and :focus: which originally was whether Buddhism was a peaceful religion or not.
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Caodemarte wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:24 pm

However, I lived in a 60% Muslim country for two years for work. Fine place and I made friendships with people of all beliefs.
If you think so , fines .
I don't have to migrate to Muslims country , I live here with majority Muslims . I don't want to migrate to any country either . I am not well equipped to handle another distressing situation .
Sure buddhism is a peaceful religion .
Peace in the sense the teachings lies in eradicating hatred . Do you think Buddhism spreading the teachings by killing and conquering other country ?
Grigoris

Post by Grigoris »

sentinel wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:44 pm

However, I lived in a 60% Muslim country for two years for work. Fine place and I made friendships with people of all beliefs.
I don't have to migrate to Muslims country , I live here with majority Muslims . I don't want to migrate to any country either . I am not well equipped to handle another distressing situation .
Peace in the sense the teachings lies in eradicating hatred . Do you think Buddhism spreading the teachings by killing and conquering other country ?
In the past Buddhist hierarchies sided with murderous conquerors, yes. In the present I would mention the genocide of the Tamil in Sri Lanka, or the genocide of the Rohingya in Burma as examples.

Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Grigoris wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:05 pm

In the past Buddhist hierarchies sided with murderous conquerors, yes. In the present I would mention the genocide of the Tamil in Sri Lanka, or the genocide of the Rohingya in Burma as examples.

Which was done so despite the Dhamma. Atrocities have been committed because of Islam.
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Do you think the Muslims continuous battle upon battle of wars conquering other countries is the same as you above mentioned ?
Grigoris

Post by Grigoris »

Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:11 pmWhich was done so despite the Dhamma. Atrocities have been committed because of Islam.
And how much difference do you believe that this makes to the victims?

Grigoris

Post by Grigoris »

sentinel wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:24 pmDo you think the Muslims continuous battle upon battle of wars conquering other countries is the same as you above mentioned ?
Yes, because regardless of the window dressing, both cause suffering.

Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Grigoris wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:48 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:11 pmWhich was done so despite the Dhamma. Atrocities have been committed because of Islam.
And how much difference do you believe that this makes to the victims?

None, but it’s very relevant to our discussion.
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Grigoris wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:49 pm
sentinel wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:24 pmDo you think the Muslims continuous battle upon battle of wars conquering other countries is the same as you above mentioned ?
No , the cause is different , huge difference .
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

Rick Heizman is an expert on Burma...you might want to take a look at some of his articles...having spent years in Burma, I think it's safe to say that he's far more credible than a lot of these so-called journalists...

Here's one article... https://www.scribd.com/user/202722025/R ... an/uploads

QUOTES FROM BRITISH, EYEWITNESSES, AND OTHERS MANY DECADES AGO ARE REVEALING
THE CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE BUDDHISTS OF ARAKAN British Officials, Record Keepers, Eyewitnesses from 1910 - 1949 write about the attacks, the intolerance, the ethnic cleansing, that continues to this day - against the Buddhists (despite the opposite - but erroneous - view of many)

https://www.scribd.com/document/2537363 ... -REVEALING
Last edited by Kusala on Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
Grigoris

Post by Grigoris »

sentinel wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:57 pm
Grigoris wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:49 pm
No , the cause is different , huge difference .
:rofl:

Kusala

Post by Kusala »

And speaking of genocide...

https://www.scribd.com/document/3715710 ... s-Buddhist
"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "