Pannobhasa on LGBT

Some topics tend to get heated and go off track in unwholesome ways quite quickly. The "hot topics" sub-forum is a place where such topics may be moved so that each post must be manually approved by moderator before it will become visible to members.
Ceisiwr

Pannobhasa on LGBT

Post by Ceisiwr »

Pannobhasa shares his views on homosexuality and trans. Thoughts?

https://www.bitchute.com/video/KxepI_8bq_w/
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
SDC

Re: Pannobhasa on LGBT

Post by SDC »

With the obvious political nature of what could ensue with this topic, it is preemptively being moved to the Hot Topics section where posts will need moderator approval. If people wish to discuss this topic freely, it would be well-suited for Dharma Wheel Engaged.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Ceisiwr wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:04 pm Pannobhasa shares his views on homosexuality and trans. Thoughts?
Hi Ceisiwr,

To be honest, I watched the first few minutes and my thoughts were: "Why am I watching these 2 guys?" and I turned it off to make a cup of ginger and lemon tea!

Have a hug, old friend. :hug:
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Ceisiwr wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:04 pmPannobhasa shares his views on homosexuality and trans. Thoughts?
How is identitarianism related to Buddhism?
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
DooDoot wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:42 pm How is identitarianism related to Buddhism?
Only to the extent that it should be relinquished...

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

:buddha1:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Ceisiwr wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:04 pm Pannobhasa shares his views on homosexuality and trans. Thoughts?

Hi. Why do you offer the courtesy of writing down what you regard as pertinent points he says rather than have us listen to the video? Thanks :smile:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
thepea

Post by thepea »

Watched about half of this video, I didn’t realize that if a monk is castrated for any reason (accident etc..) he is no longer a monk. Ex-communicato.
I don’t see why this would effect ones ability end suffering and benefit others?
At goenka retreats a great deal of effort is being placed to accommodate people of various sexual orientation. Bathrooms and sleeping quarters are the most challenging needs to meet. Effort is placed to segregate male from female so as to not generate lust while doing meditation retreats. For most part homosexuals have had to tough it out potentially meditating next to a male who they may find sexually stimulating, now efforts to segregate gays and lesbians are underway. Gender neutral meditators is another group to accommodate but poses another set of challenges. I mean every effort is already taken to accommodate food intake from special diets to allergies and food sensitivities it makes sense to provide an environment with least distraction for individuals to get established in dhamma.
Given this, I’m curious why buddha had such rules in place for an accidentally castrated monk. Seems very harsh and cruel???
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

thepea wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:46 am Watched about half of this video, I didn’t realize that if a monk is castrated for any reason (accident etc..) he is no longer a monk.
The Vinaya doesn't allow the ordination of napuṃsakas (men born without testicles) or opakkamikas (men who've lost their testicles), but this is the first time I've heard it claimed that a bhikkhu would have to disrobe if he were to lose his testicles after getting ordained.

I've just posted a query about it to Sutta Central.

https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/th ... s/12894/38
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
thepea

Post by thepea »

Dhammanando wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:02 am
thepea wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:46 am Watched about half of this video, I didn’t realize that if a monk is castrated for any reason (accident etc..) he is no longer a monk.
The Vinaya doesn't allow the ordination of napuṃsakas (men born without testicles) or opakkamikas (men who've lost their testicles), but this is the first time I've heard it claimed that a bhikkhu would have to disrobe if he were to lose his testicles after getting ordained.

I've just posted a query about it to Sutta Central.

https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/th ... s/12894/38
Why the big concern over the family jewels. Like losing a finger isn’t it??
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

thepea wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:25 am Like losing a finger isn’t it??
No, the Vinaya treats missing fingers as a less weighty concern than missing testicles. Fingerless men aren't supposed to be ordained, but if they are then the ordination is allowed to stand. But if a eunuch gets ordained he has to disrobe.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
MettaDevPrac

Post by MettaDevPrac »

Guarding the sense doors in the Information Age can be tricky. That's my thought on the original post.
- MettaDevPrac
Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

Why does a eunuch have to disrobe?
thepea

Post by thepea »

Dhammanando wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:20 am
No, the Vinaya treats missing fingers as a less weighty concern than missing testicles. Fingerless men aren't supposed to be ordained, but if they are then the ordination is allowed to stand. But if a eunuch gets ordained he has to disrobe.
What is the reason for this, it sounds ridiculous?
Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

I think the guy doing the interview was identified as being anti Semitic. And I remember something about Ajahn Sujato not wanting to associate with him because of this.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

thepea wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:37 am
Dhammanando wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:20 am
What is the reason for this, it sounds ridiculous?
I don't know the background story or real answer but just a guess would be that maybe an intact man becoming a monk would be voluntarily celibate, whereas a eunuch might be involuntarily celibate and thus, not so from discipline and renunciation.