Monastics protesting social injustice

Some topics tend to get heated and go off track in unwholesome ways quite quickly. The "hot topics" sub-forum is a place where such topics may be moved so that each post must be manually approved by moderator before it will become visible to members.
GnosticMind

Re: Monastics protesting social injustice

Post by GnosticMind »

"(Sumedho) said they should encourage morality in all political structures and not create division and emnity."

Well, it sounds good. Sumedho is good with diplomatic words sometimes -- but it's a tough call and I am sure he knows it, since he's such a mainstream conservative figure in the Thai Sangha, rubber-stamped by the King of Thailand no less --

"Thailand’s King Vajiralongkorn (Rama X) recently invited four senior Western monks in the Thai Forest Tradition of Theravada Buddhism to receive royal titles in honor of their contribution to Buddhism in Thailand and around the world."

https://tricycle.org/trikedaily/ajahn-pasanno/

Politicians worldwide and power-brokers are by their very nature amoral, and wouldn't listen to the world denying-hermit-Sangha -- the politicians or military men may, and do listen to the establishment Sangha or nationalist-reactionary-state and monarchy supporting Sangha ( see Burma where violence encouraging anti-Muslim clerics are very popular, Sri-Lanka where many leading monastics support hate-speech against minorities, Thailand where the Sangha frequently tacitly or passively or openly support monarchy) -- but those monks ( I don't refer to Sumedho personally here) are typically stooges of, and apologists for power, and not in any manner speaking truth to power.
Last edited by GnosticMind on Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

GnosticMind wrote: but those monks ( I don't refer to Sumedho personally here) are typically stooges of, and apologists for power, and not in any manner speaking truth to power
Venerable Ajahn Sumedho is no longer living in Thailand, he's back in the UK again.

:anjali:
Last edited by Aloka on Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GnosticMind

Post by GnosticMind »

Yes, I know he's back in UK -- I am not sure why you infer I thought otherwise. In my posts I was broadly commenting on Sangha and their relation to protest, and -- whilst acknowledging Sumedho's undeniable place within the ultra-conservative and state-establishment Thai Sangha -- I was taking care to except Sumedho from any potentially slanderous assertions about him. I don't mind asserting critique of Burmese Ashin Wirathu and other Sri Lankan reactionaries -- there is ample evidence of what they get up to, and anyway, they are open and proud of what they represent politically. No secrets there. But I have no wish at all to indulge in unfounded tittle tattle about any monk, Sumedho very much included.

If you mean that Sumedho in his Dhamma desana was referring to the Buddhist efficacy of political critique of British politicians morality since he is based in Britain -- well, there's even less chance of success in that case -- I haven't lived in England for nigh on thirty years, but I do remember that the general public had almost no consciousness whatsoever of Buddhism and thus I can only conclude the chances of Buddhists being able to influence the political landscape is close to zero.

The utterly radical effect that monastics can have on individuals, to help them some way along the journey of freeing themselves up from the madness and chaos and endless tanha, lobha, dosa and moha and lack of impulse control encouraged in society -- well, that's a different matter, and something I see as potentially very productive.
Last edited by GnosticMind on Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
StrivingforMonkhood

Post by StrivingforMonkhood »

Yuttadhammo Bhikku talks about the futility of fighting for just causes, and that hardcore Buddhist will not usually involve themselves in politics (not in his Theravada tradition). His points are interesting. The world spins continuously in chaos and always will until it ends. It's good to do good, but in the end, you're not changing anything by engaging in social justice issues or getting overly political. You're really not changing anything by fighting climate change in a way that is maddening. The world is what the world is. When you see the "big picture", nothing is really ever changing for the better.

That's just his opinion, and, in some ways, I agree with it. I am very liberal in my politics, but I know of my limits in getting involved in social justice concerns. I understand that the "trying-to-change-the-world" mentality is ultimately futile.

I am somewhere in the middle, when it comes to fighting for social justice issues. I will support anti-hate causes, but I won't be leading at the front. I take a more passive role. I also want to protect the environment, but I see the futility in it to some degree - the world is not ever going to "clean up" its act (no pun intended). I work on being kind to mother earth without being loud.

All that said, we still wish equality for all; we wish for freedom for all; we wish happiness for all. The world can never be enlightened, but an individuals have a chance.

We should be ultra moral in our private lives, but somehow passive. All you can do at times is just let the world be.
May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness

We are already Buddha