equanimity for non-mask wearers (personal experience)

Some topics tend to get heated and go off track in unwholesome ways quite quickly. The "hot topics" sub-forum is a place where such topics may be moved so that each post must be manually approved by moderator before it will become visible to members.
DooDoot

Re: equanimity for non-mask wearers

Post by DooDoot »

Caodemarte wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:15 am That would seem to be the proper Buddhist response.
Non-sequitur.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Idappaccayata

Post by Idappaccayata »

Caodemarte wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:15 am The common medical knowledge:

"There are no known medical conditions aside from a severe skin condition [like a very severe burn that needs medical attention] on your face that would prevent a person from wearing this type of mask,” David Kaufman, MD, pulmonologist and director of the medical ICU at Tisch Hospital...
even people with respiratory illnesses—asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and other lung diseases—can safely wear either surgical or fabric masks in public. "Finding a mask that fits well or a face covering with a fabric that is soft will help you stay comfortable while you help keep your family, friends, neighbors, and community safe from COVID-19 and other contagious diseases," says Dr. Kaufman.

Jim Keany, MD, emergency physician, patient safety physician champion, and former chief of staff at Mission Hospital in Orange County, California agrees that there are no medical conditions that would preclude someone from wearing a simple surgical or cloth face mask, because both masks have "no effect on respiratory mechanics." According to Dr. Keany, however, if you are having trouble breathing while wearing a cloth or surgical mask, you may not be wearing it correctly. "If you feel like you're sucking air through the mask, you are wearing the mask too tight," says Dr. Keany. "Simply look for a mask that has some stiffness to it, so that you don't suck it into your mouth [while breathing].

https://www.health.com/condition/infect ... -face-mask
Please wear masks in public, wash your hands, continue social distancing for the common good and practice equanimity and compassion towards others and yourself. That would seem to be the proper Buddhist response.
I wonder if the anti science/mask people feel the same way about being forced to wear pants in public as they do about wearing masks. Seems like a weird hill to die on given all the actual
government overreach that exists. I'm not going to argue over the proof behind wearing masks slowing the spread of a virus (obviously), just pointing out that this is an almost comical piece of legislation to finally decided to take a stand about government control. It speaks to the true absurdity of identifying with a political party in the west. Especially while simultaneously identifying as a Buddhist.
A dying man can only rely upon his wisdom, if he developed it. Wisdom is not dependent upon any phenomenon originated upon six senses. It is developed on the basis of the discernment of the same. That’s why when one’s senses start to wither and die, the knowledge of their nature remains unaffected. When there is no wisdom, there will be despair, in the face of death.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

:focus:

Please remember to tie comments back to the topic of "equanimity for non-mask wearers".

If people can't do that, we'll have to move this to Hot Topics, where posts require manual approval.

:thanks:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Idappaccayata wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:20 am just pointing out that this is an almost comical piece of legislation to finally decided to take a stand about government control. It speaks to the true absurdity of identifying with a political party in the west. Especially while simultaneously identifying as a Buddhist.
More cause for the practice of equanimity & disenchantment. :meditate:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

santa100

Post by santa100 »

DooDoot wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:01 am
Idappaccayata wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:20 am just pointing out that this is an almost comical piece of legislation to finally decided to take a stand about government control. It speaks to the true absurdity of identifying with a political party in the west. Especially while simultaneously identifying as a Buddhist.
More cause for the practice of equanimity & disenchantment. :meditate:
See if you're able to practice equanimity and disenchantment if you, due to your stupidity, did not wear a mask, caught Covid, became asymptomatic carrier who subsequently spread the virus to your 80 year-old parents, your 75-year-old in-laws, and killed them all.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

I think the way media and governments handled the whole thing made it difficult for individuals to put things into perspective. After almost six months from the outbreak, people are still uncertain what constitutes reasonable action, which includes the issue of wearing masks.

You can view those who do not wear mask as having different perception of the risk presented by the virus. There are risks of not standing up to what we believe, or not being able to live with ourselves when time proves us wrong. Unfortunately, people are taught not to take responsibility of their actions by believing authority, so their risk assessment would be: wearing a mask comes at very little cost if i am wrong, so i should do it. It is akin to Pascal's wager, it is always safer to believe in God. At the end of the day, not being able to live with the constant possibility of being wrong is what makes authority works. Thanks goodness that some people are still able to follow their intuition inspite of the endless fear mongering.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
binocular

Post by binocular »

Bundokji wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:27 amUnfortunately, people are taught not to take responsibility of their actions by believing authority, so their risk assessment would be: wearing a mask comes at very little cost if i am wrong, so i should do it.
So what exactly are you saying? That all those who wear masks do so because they blindly believe authority?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
binocular

Post by binocular »

santa100 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:56 amSee if you're able to practice equanimity and disenchantment if you, due to your stupidity, did not wear a mask, caught Covid, became asymptomatic carrier who subsequently spread the virus to your 80 year-old parents, your 75-year-old in-laws, and killed them all.
Not his fault, because he didn't invent the virus. Besides, everyone needs to look out for themslves, who cares about others, even if they are one's own family.

:jawdrop:
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

binocular wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:46 pm
Bundokji wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:27 amUnfortunately, people are taught not to take responsibility of their actions by believing authority, so their risk assessment would be: wearing a mask comes at very little cost if i am wrong, so i should do it.
So what exactly are you saying? That all those who wear masks do so because they blindly believe authority?
Not all, but it is more likely to see those who promote wearing masks appealing to authority. The appeal to authority either takes the form of "scientists say this, or science say that" or supporting governments decisions to make it compulsory.

Usually, such approach to the truth involves fixation on one variable as if the whole story orbits around this particular veritable. This reminds me of my first job as a bank teller. I was fresh and wanted to be careful by following the rules by the book. I had an old lady who wanted to withdraw some cash from her bank account, but could not perfect her signature, so i rejected to perform the transaction to her own annoyance and confusion. A colleague of mine, who was more experienced, took the lady to his counter and give her the cash. After she left, he told me that i lack proper risk assessment because i am still new. The lady had her account details on her, and a valid ID, and the amount she wanted to withdrew was not very big, so what the hell with your fixation about her signature considering that most old customers have the same problem, my colleague told me. The funny thing is: those who were most afraid to make mistakes were more likely to do them.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Bundokji wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:17 pm Not all, but it is more likely to see those who promote wearing masks appealing to authority. The appeal to authority either takes the form of "scientists say this, or science say that" or supporting governments decisions to make it compulsory.
You mean like making seat belts compulsory, rules about which side of the road to drive on, speed limits, alcohol limits, airbags, anti-lock brakes, and well-engineered roads?

:heart:
Mike
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

mikenz66 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:58 pm
Bundokji wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:17 pm Not all, but it is more likely to see those who promote wearing masks appealing to authority. The appeal to authority either takes the form of "scientists say this, or science say that" or supporting governments decisions to make it compulsory.
You mean like making seat belts compulsory, rules about which side of the road to drive on, speed limits, alcohol limits, airbags, anti-lock brakes, and well-engineered roads?

:heart:
Mike
I don't think seat belts should be compulsory. In fact, where i live, the vast majority do not fasten their seat belts and they seem to be functioning just fine.

binocular

Post by binocular »

Bundokji wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:08 pmI don't think seat belts should be compulsory. In fact, where i live, the vast majority do not fasten their seat belts and they seem to be functioning just fine.
When they collide their car, they don't hit the windshield with their head, but remain securely in their seats?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

binocular wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:15 pm
Bundokji wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:08 pmI don't think seat belts should be compulsory. In fact, where i live, the vast majority do not fasten their seat belts and they seem to be functioning just fine.
When they collide their car, they don't hit the windshield with their head, but remain securely in their seats?
That would depend on how bad the crash is, but in general, they seem to be willing to take the risk.

I found the following through google:

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/jor ... -accidents

binocular

Post by binocular »

Bundokji wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:17 pmNot all, but it is more likely to see those who promote wearing masks appealing to authority.
That's unfortunate, but there aren't many alternatives.

One such alternative is asking others to care about you and your health. But this is demeaning and likely to earn one mockery from others. Even though it is the truth: the whole point of wearing masks is to care about eachother. But the whole point of modern freedom is to be free from the social contract ...
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

mikenz66 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:58 pm You mean like making seat belts compulsory, rules about which side of the road to drive on, speed limits, alcohol limits, airbags, anti-lock brakes, and well-engineered roads?
For me, the above is a false equivalence.