Are women evil?

Some topics tend to get heated and go off track in unwholesome ways quite quickly. The "hot topics" sub-forum is a place where such topics may be moved so that each post must be manually approved by moderator before it will become visible to members.
urocentrum

Are women evil?

Post by urocentrum »

Are there any Buddhist texts which specifically address the wickedness of women?
Last edited by retrofuturist on Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Incel perspectives irrelevant to the scope of this forum have been removed from the Topic Post to avoid distraction.
Ceisiwr

Re: Are women evil?

Post by Ceisiwr »

One of the great things about monogamy is that it gives more men a chance to mate, as it makes more females available to a wider range of men. Sadly, even in this scenario you will still get sexual rejects. There will always be an incel.
“The teacher willed that this world appear to me
as impermanent, unstable, insubstantial.
Mind, let me leap into the victor’s teaching,
carry me over the great flood, so hard to pass.”
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Incel claptrap, not dhamma.

Quiet, asocial men are not immune to being jerks. :quote:
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

urocentrum wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:15 pm Quiet asocial men are marginalised in social situations before finally being excluded altogether (and sometimes suffer even worse privations at the behest of women and their favoured thugs). Human interaction and evolution have been entirely shaped by sexual selection, more so than natural selection.
Sexual selection can be an indication of worldly success. It takes a stretch of imagination, however, to draw conclusions about women, asocial men or spirituality based on that.

Prince Gautama had his share of sensual pleasures before renouncing the world and choosing the ascetic path. On the other hand, the quietude and asociability of some men can be natural tendency, or an outcome of some personal issues that the majority of women naturally find unattractive.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
oatsandmilk

Post by oatsandmilk »

urocentrum wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:15 pm Women mirror the natural world and so are more acutely aware of the evil in themselves then men are, lacking a genuine spiritual core. Women are unable to override natural instincts and will uphold natural and social mechanisms which select certain males at the expense of others, who are then supplanted. It's a form of socal Darwinism which women employ consciously or otherwise. Females gravitate toward males with elaborate social ornamentation and this is why the majority of men who function in society are aggressive and territorial because women have installed them into the society.

Quiet asocial men are marginalised in social situations before finally being excluded altogether (and sometimes suffer even worse privations at the behest of women and their favoured thugs). Human interaction and evolution have been entirely shaped by sexual selection, more so than natural selection.

Are there any Buddhist texts which specifically address the wickedness of women? In the Jain Digambara tradition insight cannot be fully achieved until one has transmigrated into the body of a man. I certainly agree with this and while I concede there may have been several great spiritual women throughout the long ages of history, who were capable of non-material development, this was however very much contrary to their nature. To most women, spirituality is just another form of social artifice.
You want the Dhamma to legitimize misogyny? :thinking:

I think you need to understand the Dhamma a little better.

Off topic but .. There is nothing wrong with a woman choosing a partner who has more wealth and can therefore provide her and her off-springs with more security. That does not make her wicked, manipulative or anything else.

Get ahold of your feverish imagination. Lots of papañca in that noggin of yours. :console:

:anjali:
Last edited by oatsandmilk on Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“This doctrine is profound, hard to see, difficult to understand, calm, sublime, not within the sphere of logic, subtle, to be understood by the wise”. – Majjhima Nikāya
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

urocentrum wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:15 pm Are there any Buddhist texts which specifically address the wickedness of women?
No…
SDC

Post by SDC »

urocentrum wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:15 pm ...
Involuntary celibate ideology is the absolute worst thing in Buddhism these days. Just like any other acquisition, people should approach the Dhamma with the intent to escape from them, not justify them further.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings all,

I'm going to re-open this topic and move it to Hot Topics, where every post requires moderator approval before being approved. Only posts which specifically address this question...

urocentrum wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:15 pm Are there any Buddhist texts which specifically address the wickedness of women?

... will be approved. If Cappuccino is right, and the answer is "No", then no further posts will be approved.

Any subsequent comments that are pro or anti Incel or pro or anti women, will not be approved as they are off topic - it's Buddhist texts that have been asked for, not personal opinion and conjecture.

:thanks:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

The Dhammapada section on Impurity has this:
242. Unchastity is the taint in a woman; stinginess is the taint in a giver. Taints, indeed, are all evil things, both in this world and the next.
So taints are evil, not those of either sex who have them.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
form

Post by form »

Some suttas that describe certain things about one gender, there will be an immediate repeat on the other gender.

There are sutta that don't.

I do not like the description that women are evil. Rather I will think of general attributes of the two genders. There will be outliers as usual.

Ever wonder why the Buddha thought if the Bhikkhunis lineage was allowed, the existence of true dhamma will be shortened? I do not know why exactly.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

form wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:03 pm Ever wonder why the Buddha thought if the Bhikkhunis lineage was allowed, the existence of true dhamma will be shortened? I do not know why exactly.
Shortly before the Buddha died, Ananda asked him a question concerning women: "How shall we relate to women, Master?" — "Do not look at them." — "But if one sees one, Master?" — "Do not address her." — "But if one talks to us?" — "Keep mindfulness and self-control." (DN 16).

Ananda
The Guardian of the Dhamma
form

Post by form »

cappuccino wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:32 am
form wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:03 pm Ever wonder why the Buddha thought if the Bhikkhunis lineage was allowed, the existence of true dhamma will be shortened? I do not know why exactly.
Shortly before the Buddha died, Ananda asked him a question concerning women: "How shall we relate to women, Master?" — "Do not look at them." — "But if one sees one, Master?" — "Do not address her." — "But if one talks to us?" — "Keep mindfulness and self-control." (DN 16).

Ananda
The Guardian of the Dhamma
This topic is very sensitive and there will be many views depending to the angle it is being examined. There is a range of norm and outliers in both genders.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

No. The Buddha does however describe women as being obstructions/distractions to spiritual progress tho. He also describes men as obstructions/distractions as well, depending on who you are.
So I have heard. At one time the Buddha was staying near Sāvatthī in Jeta’s Grove, Anāthapiṇḍika’s monastery. There the Buddha addressed the mendicants, “Mendicants!”

“Venerable sir,” they replied. The Buddha said this:

“Mendicants, I do not see a single sight that occupies a man’s mind like the sight of a woman. The sight of a woman occupies a man’s mind.”

“Mendicants, I do not see a single sound that occupies a man’s mind like the sound of a woman. The sound of a woman occupies a man’s mind.”

“Mendicants, I do not see a single smell that occupies a man’s mind like the smell of a woman. The smell of a woman occupies a man’s mind.”

“Mendicants, I do not see a single taste that occupies a man’s mind like the taste of a woman. The taste of a woman occupies a man’s mind.”

“Mendicants, I do not see a single touch that occupies a man’s mind like the touch of a woman. The touch of a woman occupies a man’s mind.”

“Mendicants, I do not see a single sight that occupies a woman’s mind like the sight of a man. The sight of a man occupies a woman’s mind.”

“Mendicants, I do not see a single sound that occupies a woman’s mind like the sound of a man. The sound of a man occupies a woman’s mind.”

“Mendicants, I do not see a single smell that occupies a woman’s mind like the smell of a man. The smell of a man occupies a woman’s mind.”

“Mendicants, I do not see a single taste that occupies a woman’s mind like the taste of a man. The taste of a man occupies a woman’s mind.”

“Mendicants, I do not see a single touch that occupies a woman’s mind like the touch of a man. The touch of a man occupies a woman’s mind.”
https://suttacentral.net/an1.1-10/en/sujato
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

He gives analogies in the sutta where he says it will be shortened.
It’s like those families with many women and few men. They’re easy prey for bandits and thieves. In the same way, the spiritual life does not last long in a teaching and training where females gain the going forth.

It’s like a field full of rice. Once the disease called ‘white bones’ attacks, it doesn’t last long. In the same way, the spiritual life does not last long in a teaching and training where females gain the going forth.

It’s like a field full of sugar cane. Once the disease called ‘red rot’ attacks, it doesn’t last long. In the same way, the spiritual life does not last long in a teaching and training where females gain the going forth.
https://suttacentral.net/an8.51/en/sujato

I do not understand the last two analogies with my limited knowledge of Pali and ancient Indian agriculture, and will not even attempt to try to explain them.

However i think the first analogy sorta makes sense. Just as women are more likely to be targeted by muggers on the street or for hate crime assaults these days, it would make sense that households of mostly women would be more likely to be the target of bandits since its not like they could pick up the phone and call the cops back then. They also had no guns back then and blunt weapons scale with the strength of the user so male bandits could probably overpower a household of women even if they were armed. I think this could certainly be one of the reasons. Monasteries would naturally be more likely to be attacked by thieves if the thieves knew or suspected it was full of women, and that would certainly play a role in reducing the true Dhamma's lifespan.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

What about texts mentioning the wickedness of men? The number of men around the world who rape and murder women, as well as kill other men and children must be phenomenal.

Last edited by Aloka on Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:30 am, edited 2 times in total.