Risk of taking vaccine jab

Some topics tend to get heated and go off track in unwholesome ways quite quickly. The "hot topics" sub-forum is a place where such topics may be moved so that each post must be manually approved by moderator before it will become visible to members.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Risk of taking vaccine jab

Post by DNS »

Spiny Norman wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:28 pm Not an effective bio weapon, because it mainly kills elderly people who are not economically active, or fit for military service.
From what I have heard, from some who accept the conspiracy theories, is that is the point; it's about eliminating those who are not economically active and in fact drain government resources, pension funds, etc. According to the conspiracy theory, the elites have decided that 8 billion is too many people; that reducing the carbon footprint, driving electric vehicles, is all just a band-aid, that to really preserve the planet, there needs to be less people, by some conspiracy accounts, as many as "half" the world's population or more need to be eliminated.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Spiny Norman wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:18 pm
Dan74 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:16 am
Sam Vara wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:32 am

Yes, I know what you mean. I know people on both sides of the "debate", all otherwise rational, who brook no dissent. Some convinced that there is no virus, and that Bill Gates is getting us injected so we buy more stuff; and some who are so utterly paranoid about infection they think that there should be a more stringent lockdown for a great deal longer.

What's interesting is how these views don't seem to map onto other ideological positions, or objective socio-economic circumstances, very clearly. It's possible that a political scientist in the future will discern the key to this, and explain what has polarised people. Because at the moment, it's all rather odd...
Yes, I admit the other extreme, while in a sense less bizarre, since it is not premised on a insane conspiracy, is almost equally worrying. Many of my old colleagues appear to be completely sold on the Victorian Government's eliminationist approach, with its never ending wave of lockdowns, restrictions and fear-mongering. Todays frontpage of The Age, Melbourne's top daily looked like this, which had us shaking our heads here...

theagefront.jpg

It seems so out of synch with the rest of the world... Sure, it is great that they have protected the elderly and the vulnerable, but the fact that this is the front page reveals that it has come at a cost of a massive effort and sacrifice. The fallout is in a swell of anxiety and fears.
At the beginning of the pandemic, the UK government apparently considered just letting the virus rip, in order to build herd immunity via infection. But a leading scientist estimated this approach could result in 500,000 deaths, so the idea was hastily dropped.
I wonder though, how people in the UK would feel, had the Government adopted the Victorian approach. Lockdown the country, no travelling out, returning only though very limited and highly expensive flights and a prison-like 2 week quarantine you pay for, a nearly 4 month complete lockdown with curfew, 5km radius etc..., 4 lockdowns in total, etc etc.. Can you imagine the fallout from such an approach?

I'm not even saying that it's wrong, since they've clearly saved a lot of lives that way. They've also ruined a lot. And the insane fear this has generated is not to be discounted, which I thought was Sam's point.
_/|\_
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Here is a graph showing the number of deaths in my country over the last ten years. Every year, there seems to be a natural growth in the number of people who die, and yet, in 2020, when more than 3k people were designated to have died because of COVID, the growth is the lowest in the last ten years:

https://knoema.com/atlas/Jordan/topics/ ... -of-deaths

Last year, the number of people who got vaccinated was less than 100k. Now, we reached circa 2M who had at least one does of the vaccine, and the government is planning to vaccinate at least 5M by September. I wonder what the number of death will be by the end of 2021 considering that those who got vaccinated and died are unlikely to be designated as COVID deaths (or the vaccine deaths for that matter). Many who suffered from the side effects of the vaccine are told by the authorities that this is a healthy sign, that the body is interacting with the vaccine. I am wondering about those who did not experience severe side effects if they had any benefits from getting vaccinated using the same logic.

The moral of the story: designations :group:
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

That's why people usually speak of excess mortality. There is a lot of data on that, B, in case you're interested, but I didn't think you trusted data, except as support for your skepsis.
_/|\_
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Dan74 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:27 pm That's why people usually speak of excess mortality. There is a lot of data on that, B, in case you're interested, but I didn't think you trusted data, except as support for your skepsis.
:goodpost:

I used to work as an information analyst in the health service, and I despair at the way these people misunderstand and abuse the data. It's like listening to a new-ager pontificate about quantum mechanics. :toilet:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Dan74 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:27 pm That's why people usually speak of excess mortality. There is a lot of data on that, B, in case you're interested, but I didn't think you trusted data, except as support for your skepsis.
What i am interested in, in the context of this thread, is what people had to give up in exchange of potential benefits of taking the vaccine. Morality is not separate from assigning responsibilities nor from human tendency to feel guilty. For example, vaccines have been promoted with the notion of protecting oneself and others. This assumes that vaccines do not only affect the severity of the symptoms but also the transmission rate, then we are encountered with the notion that people who get vaccinated can still be testing positive and therefore capable of transmitting the disease, then data is utilized to emphasize that they are not equally contagious with the underlying assumption of "everything else being equal", not counting for the more relaxed manner of which vaccinated people are expected to behave and putting pressure on those who opt to not get vaccinated. As such, the virtue of non-harming is turned into pathological guilt as a main driver of human behavior, overstating the virtues of sheepish behavior, and dismissing the benefits of opposing mainstream assertions.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Spiny Norman wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:40 pm

I used to work as an information analyst in the health service, and I despair at the way these people misunderstand and abuse the data. It's like listening to a new-ager pontificate about quantum mechanics. :toilet:
I'm not sure you can actually appreciate the pain I experience listening to pontification about quantum mechanics by just about anyone... :shock:

:heart:
Mike
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

mikenz66 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:09 pm

I'm not sure you can actually appreciate the pain I experience listening to pontification about quantum mechanics by just about anyone... :shock:

Mike
If there's one subject which attracts even more enthusiastic pontification by the hard of thinking, it's politics.

Which is what my qualifications are in. :(
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Sam Vara wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:46 pm
mikenz66 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:09 pm

Mike
If there's one subject which attracts even more enthusiastic pontification by the hard of thinking, it's politics.

Which is what my qualifications are in. :(
:console:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

:offtopic:

A lot of the banter here is irrelevant to the subject of the "risk of taking vaccine jab".

Please either take the conversation to Dharma Wheel Engaged or get back to the specific "Wellness, Diet And Fitness" angle.

:thanks:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
asahi

Post by asahi »

You may want to know of heart inflammation cause by vaccine .

No bashing No gossiping
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Is the Chinese vaccine is doomed to fail as well?
Is this just false propaganda against the Chinese vaccine?

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Zenny

Post by Zenny »

Not every doctor takes the vaccine. One has to ask why is this?
Non buddhist Zen Practitioner.
Focus!
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Zenny wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:16 am Not every doctor takes the vaccine. One has to ask why is this?
Visit a plumber, you will find his taps leak. One has to ask why is this?
Visit an electrician, you will find broken power points in his home. One has to ask why is this?
Talk to a policeman - off duty - and he will admit to driving after a few drinks. One has to ask why is this?

:thinking:
Kim
Zenny

Post by Zenny »

Kim OHara wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:35 am
Zenny wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:16 am Not every doctor takes the vaccine. One has to ask why is this?
Visit a plumber, you will find his taps leak. One has to ask why is this?
Visit an electrician, you will find broken power points in his home. One has to ask why is this?
Talk to a policeman - off duty - and he will admit to driving after a few drinks. One has to ask why is this?

:thinking:
Kim
But the plumber will want to fix his taps will he not?
Non buddhist Zen Practitioner.
Focus!