108 recitations of Itipiso a day

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
dharmacorps

Re: 108 recitations of Itipiso a day

Post by dharmacorps »

I've found chanting to be really helpful for practice and calming the mind. I am suspicious of generalized prescriptions for chanting (e.g. do this this many times and you will become a sotapanna). Chanting while afraid of the dark makes sense as skillful means. I was told by a Tibetan teacher the only way to begin practice of Buddhism was to do 100,000 prostrations to a Buddharupa. Needless to say, I passed on that.
frank k

Post by frank k »

It is Buddha anussati if you reflect on the meaning of the phrase as you chant it, and that understanding leads you to peace and joy.
AN 6.10 is about how to use skilfull thoughts to feed the fire of jhana by giving it fuel to arouse piti and passaddhi.
If you're just reciting a formula in a foreign language and have no idea what it means or you know what it means but you're just vocalizing and not thinking about it, it's just using a vocal mantra to drive out extraneous thinking.
mikenz66 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:58 pm
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:10 pm It can definitely be a kind of Buddhānusati.

:heart:
It is Buddhānusati, as taught in the suttas:
https://suttacentral.net/an6.10/en/sujato

Mike
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

tamdrin wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:44 am
Srilankaputra wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:15 am
JamesTheGiant wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:47 am it looks purely devotional
I'm not sure, I haven't tried it. But I am pretty sure most people will forget even which count they are on by the fourth or fifth repetition. It may be possible for a discerning individual to learn a few things about Viriya, Sati and Samadhi.
That is why you need a mala to do this type of practice.
Yes, a mala is required. Just curious, does anyone know the significance of the number 108 here? It seems to be an auspicious number for repetitions throughout the Dharmic traditions, but I'm not sure why.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

frank k wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:28 pm AN 6.10 is about how to use skilfull thoughts to feed the fire of jhana by giving it fuel to arouse piti and passaddhi.
Of course. I find reciting those words, and reflecting on the meaning, to be very helpful.

Mike
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

dharmacorps wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:18 pm I've found chanting to be really helpful for practice and calming the mind. I am suspicious of generalized prescriptions for chanting (e.g. do this this many times and you will become a sotapanna). Chanting while afraid of the dark makes sense as skillful means. I was told by a Tibetan teacher the only way to begin practice of Buddhism was to do 100,000 prostrations to a Buddharupa. Needless to say, I passed on that.
I don't think any Theravada teacher would ever say this. However, although it is not the norm, I have heard a couple of Tibetan teachers say "recite such and such mantra a certain number of times and you will attain liberation". If I remember correctly the number was 100,000,000. It was a longer mantra too... so this would have to be done over many years on solitary retreat. Who knows what the results would be?

One Tibetan monk who did many years of solitary retreat (around 30) recited om mani padme hum 1.2 billion times as part of his practice.

Again, the whole thing about doing a mantra such and such number of times is not really promoted even in Tibetan Buddhism but numbers are used as a way to motivate people to reach a certain goal and increase their diligence.