Metta Meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
robertk

Re: Metta Meditation

Post by robertk »

mikenz66 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:02 am
robertk wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:22 am as I remember what they did when 'doing metta meditation' was to focus on how deserving of love they are and try to manufacture warm feelings. Once this self love was apparent they move on to others.

Not the right way as I see it.
Thanks. There is some interesting stuff in that book. I like what she says about needing to be careful about rushing to wish metta to all. It's very easy for this practice to descend into going through motions with a vague wish for all beings to be happy, which is missing the mark completely.

Hi Mike
yes. I think firstly we have to see that most of the time we are either selfishly wanting our own good, with little concern for anyone else. Or attached to family and friends . Or actively irritated with around half of mankind - such as anyone opposed to our views.

Sujin really stresses on Metta and patience, but she tries to show how this should go with understanding of anatta.
She is a good example - still giving hours each day to talk to people even though now 95 years old.
The most I have got to, after decades of striving, is no longer expecting other drivers to be "as good as me". I mostly don't take it personally when someone cuts me off etc.
Eko Care

Re: Metta Meditation

Post by Eko Care »

robertk wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:43 am
mikenz66 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:02 am ..Thanks. There is some interesting stuff in that book. I like what she says about needing to be careful about rushing to wish metta to all. It's very easy for this practice to descend into going through motions with a vague wish for all beings to be happy, which is missing the mark completely.
yes. I think firstly we have to see that most of the time we are either selfishly wanting our own good, with little concern for anyone else. Or attached to family and friends . Or actively irritated with around half of mankind - such as anyone opposed to our views.

Sujin really stresses on Metta and patience, but she tries to show how this should go with understanding of anatta.
She is a good example - still giving hours each day to talk to people even though now 95 years old.

The most I have got to, after decades of striving, is no longer expecting other drivers to be "as good as me".

I mostly don't take it personally when someone cuts me off etc
:candle: