gaps in between the breath

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
identification

gaps in between the breath

Post by identification »

What should I focus on in between the breaths while there is a pause?
Reductor

Re: gaps in between the breath

Post by Reductor »

identification wrote:What should I focus on in between the breaths while there is a pause?
focus on the pause - if you're focusing on the nose, feel how the nose feels when the breath is still. If you're focusing somewhere in the body, notice if the pause has a tense feeling, or a feeling of relaxation.

There are sure to be other good ways to treat a pause, the above are just those that come to mind first.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Reductor wrote:
identification wrote:What should I focus on in between the breaths while there is a pause?
focus on the pause - if you're focusing on the nose, feel how the nose feels when the breath is still. If you're focusing somewhere in the body, notice if the pause has a tense feeling, or a feeling of relaxation.

There are sure to be other good ways to treat a pause, the above are just those that come to mind first.
I would say: Do not focus on the pause. "Focus" sounds a bit forced. Simply pay attention, lightly, easily to the pause and to the in and out of the breath.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
identification

Post by identification »

Reductor wrote:

Focus on the pause meaning to focus on the nothingness that's there?
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

You should be focusing on the process of breathing, the changing nature of breathing. Pauses are just as much a part of the process and of the changing nature, so there should be no need to ask the question. It really doesn't matter what the mind attends to as long as awareness is as continuous as possible.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

tiltbillings wrote:
Reductor wrote:

I would say: Do not focus on the pause. "Focus" sounds a bit forced. Simply pay attention, lightly, easily to the pause and to the in and out of the breath.
Yes, you're right: focus is the wrong word. Just know that there is a pause and what it is like. Don't let yourself treat pauses, and the other littler bits of the breathing process, as unworthy of your attention.
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

identification wrote:
Reductor wrote:

Focus on the pause meaning to focus on the nothingness that's there?
Be alert if there seems to be nothing. Then you'll see that the sense of nothing will cease and you'll feel something on the inhalation or exhalation - or you'll become aware yet another part of the breathing experience.