e-reader for meditation books

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
no mike

e-reader for meditation books

Post by no mike »

Hi :)

I am thinking about getting an e-reader, specifically I might get the Kindle Voyage. It seems like a great device for nonfiction reference books, manuals, etc.

But I have no experience with e-readers and the documents that are available for free use, such as meditation manuals available for downloading, Dhamma books, etc. Does anyone know if there are any compatibility issues or have any other recommendations for other e-readers for this use?

Thank you !!

Mike
Ben

Re: e-reader for meditation books

Post by Ben »

I read ebooks via a kindle, iPad and laptop. Generally I prefer reading from my kindle. The resolution is excellent for ebooks that have been formatted for kindle. Where it's not so good is when reading books that are not edited for or formatted to mobi, such as pdf files. You can get free ebook management applications like calibre that will convert other documents to mobi files, but if your Dhamma book contains extensive end notes, appendices, and indexes, then navigation to use the end matter is a right-royal pain in the proverbial. And that is why I still prefer print for some books.
I hope that helps.
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
soapy3

Post by soapy3 »

Almost all of the dhamma e-books out there are available as PDF. Almost all e-readers, even the old ones, support that and if not there is software to convert formats. If you want to spend the least amount of money you can go with the cheapest one if all you want to do is read dhamma books.
no mike

Post by no mike »

Thank you so much for the feedback!

My biggest concern is whether I can read the Nikayas on a Voyage and have no problems with formatting and ease of organizing, note taking, vocab building, and other features on the device if I am using pdf or converted files.

If no, then maybe I will just keep buying hard copies.

:reading:
Kamran

Post by Kamran »

I am addicted to my kindle paper white but ereaders don't display PDF files well. It's unfortunate. Only tablets display PDFs we'll.
soapy3

Post by soapy3 »

There are free software programs that can convert PDF to other formats and vice versa.

I saw the other day you can even get PDF readers for mobile phones.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Ben wrote:I read ebooks via a kindle, iPad and laptop. Generally I prefer reading from my kindle. The resolution is excellent for ebooks that have been formatted for kindle. Where it's not so good is when reading books that are not edited for or formatted to mobi, such as pdf files. You can get free ebook management applications like calibre that will convert other documents to mobi files, but if your Dhamma book contains extensive end notes, appendices, and indexes, then navigation to use the end matter is a right-royal pain in the proverbial. And that is why I still prefer print for some books.
I hope that helps.
Ben
When reading ebooks with endnotes on my laptop I make two copies of the book and open both of them — one at the page that I'm presently reading and the other at the current note. Isn't it possible to do this with kindle?
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Dhammanando wrote:
Ben wrote:I read ebooks via a kindle, iPad and laptop. Generally I prefer reading from my kindle. The resolution is excellent for ebooks that have been formatted for kindle. Where it's not so good is when reading books that are not edited for or formatted to mobi, such as pdf files. You can get free ebook management applications like calibre that will convert other documents to mobi files, but if your Dhamma book contains extensive end notes, appendices, and indexes, then navigation to use the end matter is a right-royal pain in the proverbial. And that is why I still prefer print for some books.
I hope that helps.
Ben
When reading ebooks with endnotes on my laptop I make two copies of the book and open both of them — one at the page that I'm presently reading and the other at the current note. Isn't it possible to do this with kindle?
I have to investigate, Ajahn. I'm pretty sure you can only open the one copy, but I'll find out.
with metta,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
samseva

Post by samseva »

I have a Kobo Glo and love it (dictionary is useful, can search text in pdf files, can organize books into shelves, no ads). It is packed with Dhamma material, both in pdf and mobi format. If I were to suggest something, it would be to definitely get an e-ink reader. It is soft on the eyes and makes it much more enjoyable when reading for long periods of time (even moderate periods of time). I also like using Calibre, which makes it easy to organize large amounts of files.

http://goodereader.com/blog/electronic- ... dle-voyage
I had a Kindle Paperwhite and sent it back. I didn't like it at all. The Kobo met every criteria I had and more. ;)
no mike

Post by no mike »

Oh, too late--yesterday I received a Voyage. But I could use some more tips/suggestions on how to store and manage books from my laptop, before downloading onto the reader (using cloud storage), and some recommended websites for Dhamma books in mobi (and pdf).

I agree about e-reader devices being kind on the eyes :)

Thank you,

Mike
samseva

Post by samseva »

You can send back the Voyage if you change your mind. Amazon will just repackage it and sell it I believe (and they are already a multimillion-dollar company, Kobo is a good company that needs more money) ;) . In my opinion, the Kobo is leagues better than the Kindle.

I don't remember how files are managed on the Kindle. I didn't like the cloud storage and the mobi format. Although, here is something that might help you. According to the article above, the Voyage can't use epub, which is what I mostly use (other than pdf) and which is more widely available.

Here is some quality Dhamma material:
http://www.bps.lk/library_wheels.php (Anything by Nyanatiloka, Nyanaponika, Nyanamoli, Khantipalo, Bhikkhu Bodhi)
Although only in pdf and epub.
http://store.pariyatti.org/Comprehensiv ... _4362.html
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... on2011.pdf
Two works to study for the rest of your life.
http://www.wisdompubs.org/books/therava ... s_all%3A53 (Copy and paste the URL between and, the [ ] messes up the BBCode)
The whole Sutta Piṭaka (excluding the Khuddaka Nikāya) in English.
http://www.buddhistelibrary.org/en/disp ... p?pid=1956
Great piece of work by Nyanatiloka. To study ardently.
Last edited by samseva on Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
no mike

Post by no mike »

Thank you, for the recommendations!

I am quickly realizing that an e-reader is a great tool to access and read the Dhamma. So much of it is available for downloading. Calibre is helpful, too.

:thumbsup:

Mike
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

I would use a lightweight tablet like the Google Nexus 7 or iPad Mini. These devices can read all manner of eBook formats, including Kindle books if you install the free Kindle app.

I have no experience with dedicated ebook reader devices. If I'm buying a tablet-like device I'd like it to be able to do more than just read books.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
samseva

Post by samseva »

no mike wrote:Thank you, for the recommendations!

I am quickly realizing that an e-reader is a great tool to access and read the Dhamma. So much of it is available for downloading.
You are welcome. I agree completely. One can have almost the whole Sutta Piṭaka in English (under $150) and the complete Pāli Canon in Pāli for free. That is hard to beat.
waterchan wrote:I would use a lightweight tablet like the Google Nexus 7 or iPad Mini. These devices can read all manner of eBook formats, including Kindle books if you install the free Kindle app.

I have no experience with dedicated ebook reader devices. If I'm buying a tablet-like device I'd like it to be able to do more than just read books.
Not having other things on the device is actually a positive restriction.
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

samseva wrote: Not having other things on the device is actually a positive restriction.
Some people might prefer the convenience of a dedicated e-reader over the utility of a multi-functional device like an Android tablet or iPad. Dedicated e-readers tend to have far longer battery life and easier learning curve.