Methods for increasing mindfulness in daily life as a lay person

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
shoenhad

Re: Methods for increasing mindfulness in daily life as a lay person

Post by shoenhad »

bodom wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:11 pm
Yes, if your already able to be with the present experience without being carried away with mental proliferation then there's no need to use the mantra at the time. When I find my mind is calm and quiet I will drop it and simply be with what is.

My experience has been oposite of yours in that using Buddho helps me to connect fully with each experience and use it in much the same way as Mahasi practitioners use the noting method. The focus is always on the actual experience, the body, feelings, mind and dhammas. The mantra is more or less in the background of awareness reminding one to be present.

:namaste:
I saw a theravada monk on quora answering a similar question as it related to thich nhat hanh suggesting that one should be aware of the breath during conversation.

The monk said the following: 'However, due to his Mahayana origin, he didn’t fully grasp the meaning of this sutta, and all he attempted to do was to interpret it in his own way. Needless to say his interpretation doesn’t reflect the true principles of Mindfulness.

That’s why “follow your breath while listening deeply to a friend, or while silently reciting a verse, or while eating mindfully” is conflicting in that the mind cannot do two things at the same time, and you are correct that this dual awareness is the very multi-tasking that we should avoid, as it brings stress and mistakes. You should only watch your breath when there is no other object like thought, feelings and emotions. When there are different objects, you should observe them'

Of course the same principle applies when using a mantra so I am wondering what you make of his claim?

I found it to be a bit odd to be honest. There are plenty of teachers within theravada who advocate the use of a mantra or the breath during activities or conversation so this doesn't seem justified. Ven thanissaro for example argues the following: 'This is why the meditation begins with the breath. This is why, when Buddha gave instructions on how to develop concentration in a way that brings to fruition all four establishings of mindfulness, he said to stay with the breath. As you stay with the breath, you focus on the breath in ways that deal with feelings, that deal with the mind, that deal with mental qualities, but you never really leave the breath. Instead, you train yourself to observe things in conjunction with the breath.'

I will post the link for reference.

https://www.quora.com/Thich-Nhat-Hanh-t ... -same-time