Moving pressure around my face after meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
alapik

Moving pressure around my face after meditation

Post by alapik »

Hi,

I did a 10 days Viapassana meditation retreat and on day 7 I started to feel pressure around my sinus area. This pressure got worse the more I meditated and it felt as if my whole awareness was concentrated into a beam which I could move with my awareness around my face to my forehead, cheekbones nose, temples and top of my head. At first it felt like I could outline my skull with this beam of pressure as it didn't feel the same on the tip of my nose where the bone ends or on my eyes. Then I though that maybe it's because I wasn't very grounded in my body and found it extremely difficult to put awareness onto my torso. It felt like my brain associated my awareness with my left eye, which meant that when resting all my awareness would be concentrated around my left nostril or cheek. But then I managed to move this beam slightly onto my neck, then onto my chest and eventually it got stuck under my arm pit. It felt like a ball and again I could move it around my chest with my awareness, but couldn't 'zoom it out' to become aware of the whole chest.

I have read that this could possible be because of tension in certain places and indeed I think I tense my face quite a lot when trying to scan my body in order to concentrate my awareness. However, this pressure didn't go away after meditation and was getting worse especially when I wanted to sleep. I could feel it all day at work and it was hard to concentrate on anything else. It would comeback both under my armpit and on my face shortly after I wake up. Maybe as soon as I started to notice it it would get more intense. It felt like at time it would just move automatically where my left eye would move, but at the same time with my awareness I could almost make it go through the bone of my nose, which felt as if the pressure was getting more intense.

It was impossible to meditate as it was difficult to be aware of anything else as it's so over powering, especially to feel subtle sensation on your body. I have now stopped meditation for 2 days and it has pretty much gone. I wanted to learn about what it was and what I need to do about it before I start meditating gain.

I understand that you should not react as it's just a sensation, however it's really distracting me and was making it impossible to fall asleep. At first I was trying to put awareness into my hands and feet, which made pressure less intense, but as soon as I would start relaxing to fall asleep it would reappear on my face. I had to tie things around my face or touch my face with my hands to not feel it as intensely to sleep. Also, if by accident I moved it to my temples it created a lot of pain and it was making my ears and nostrils pop. I would really appreciate some advice and experience if anyone had it and how they have dealt with it.

There is lots of staff online, which says it could be:

1. Sinus problem
2. Tense Muscles
3. Not grounded in the body
4. Kundalini awakening

Non of the descriptions seems to quite describe my case.

Thank you in advance!
Pinetree

Re: Moving pressure around my face after meditation

Post by Pinetree »

I have read that this could possible be because of tension in certain places and indeed I think I tense my face quite a lot when trying to scan my body in order to concentrate my awareness.
This happens to many people doing meditation, just seems your problem is somewhat more annoying. Which is that they create tension in the body through their awareness. What you describe is similar to Goenka approach, I'm not familiar with that, and I'm not sure what instructions you have pertaining to adjusting the intensity/field of your focus.

On the other hand, it could be that you also have some sinus issues, since a lot of the discomfort seems located in that area. I mean, you're describing many sensations in more bodily locations, but most of them seem to be in the sinus-ear area.
move this beam slightly onto my neck, then onto my chest and eventually it got stuck under my arm pit.
I may be missing something, but why on earth would you be using a beam for meditation purposes ?
found it extremely difficult to put awareness onto my torso.
You're trying too hard, let's take it more easy:
- do you know, at least vaguely, where your torso is ?
- in that case, you either notice or don't notice a sensation there

And that's all, no need to force beams to go through various body parts.

---

Another thing that may help with your discomfort is metta meditation.
grausheden

Post by grausheden »

I arrived at this page after searching for around google for this "left eye" phenomenon.

For the moment I'm chalking it up to a psycho-physical residue of some variety, as I've not found anything yet to suggest it's anything other than some meaty confluence of irrelevant happenstances.
apophenia

Post by apophenia »

On a retreat I discussed something similar with a teacher.

He said: too much effort.
practitioner

Post by practitioner »

I experienced the treading of tiny electrical shocks that went across the back of my neck and up to my right cheek, and then a spider web growth of electrical shock on my left cheek while meditating in my dorm in the morning. It went away when I had the thought that I will have to tell this to the AT.

There were few other occasions when I felt compression from all side pressing against my head toward the center or external force pressing against my lower jaw against the upper jaw. Yes, all these happened in the dorm at the 10 days vipassana retreat.

I think it may just be energy rebalancing itself. I didn't experience the compression again when I returned home. The electrical shock occurred only once.

There is always the potential of kundalini awakening in everyone. When it happens, ride with it. Don't panic and resist. A psychiatrist on "Buddha At the Gas Pump" interview mentioned that it came to him while he was simply lying on the bed. If you panic and resist, it can be dangerous.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

alapik wrote: There is lots of staff online, which says it could be:

1. Sinus problem
2. Tense Muscles
3. Not grounded in the body
4. Kundalini awakening

Non of the descriptions seems to quite describe my case.

Thank you in advance!
My guess would be 1 or 2, or perhaps a combination of these. Have you had any sinus problems before?

One of my teachers described the attitude in meditation as "alert yet relaxed", which I think expresses it quite well. A build up of tension is counterproductive.

It's like the analogy of the musical instrument string, not too tight and not too loose. http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
Getting ourselves "in tune" or in the zone does come with experience, but some experimentation may be required.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

apophenia wrote:On a retreat I discussed something similar with a teacher.
He said: too much effort.
Yes, it often is that.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Buddha Vacana

Post by Buddha Vacana »

Have you ever taken a psychoactive substance?
A psychoactive drug, psychopharmaceutical, or psychotropic is a chemical substance that changes brain function and results in alterations in perception, mood, or consciousness.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychoactive_drug
It could be long term side effects.