Virtual Reality app for Color Kasina Meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
rang-rig

Virtual Reality app for Color Kasina Meditation

Post by rang-rig »

I made this App to aid Color Kasina meditation:
iPhone - https://appsto.re/us/L3mvjb.i
Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... olorkasina

It is based on this description of Color Kasina meditation by Thitapuñño Bhikkhu: https://goo.gl/si9CX0

The app is free (as well as Ad free) but requires a Virtual Reality (Google-Cardboard like) headset.
Last edited by rang-rig on Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:14 am, edited 5 times in total.
Goofaholix

Re: VR app for Color Kasina Meditation

Post by Goofaholix »

rang-rig wrote:I made this iPhone app: https://appsto.re/us/L3mvjb.i
Based on this description of Color Kasina meditation by Thitapuñño Bhikkhu: https://goo.gl/si9CX0
The app is free (as well as Ad free) but does require a Virtual Reality headset.
I will appreciate feedback and will incorporate new ideas if possible.
I can't comment on the app but the acronym VR has a specific meaning in the insight meditation tradition so you should probably use a different term to avoid amusement.
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.” ― Ajahn Chah
rang-rig

Post by rang-rig »

Goofaholix wrote:I can't comment on the app but the acronym VR has a specific meaning in the insight meditation tradition so you should probably use a different term to avoid amusement.
Done, Thanks. What does VR mean in the insight meditation tradition?
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

rang-rig wrote:[
https://tricycle.org/trikedaily/vipassa ... -vr-short/
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.” ― Ajahn Chah
Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble »

Goofaholix wrote:
rang-rig wrote:[
https://tricycle.org/trikedaily/vipassa ... -vr-short/

Websites like that repel me - so much effort has gone into making them attention grabbing, when plain text suffices to convey meaning. And, sorry if it offends anyone, but the attitude behind that article is garbage.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Pseudobabble wrote:Websites like that repel me - so much effort has gone into making them attention grabbing, when plain text suffices to convey meaning. And, sorry if it offends anyone, but the attitude behind that article is garbage.
Tricycle is the Buzzfeed of Buddhism...

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"Why now do you assume 'a being'? Mara, have you grasped a view?" (SN 5.10)

"Overcome the liar by truth." (Dhp 223)
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Pseudobabble wrote:Websites like that repel me - so much effort has gone into making them attention grabbing, when plain text suffices to convey meaning. And, sorry if it offends anyone, but the attitude behind that article is garbage.
Yes that article id pretty Mills and Boonish, whenever I've heard teachers talking about it it is in terms of the experience being a hindrence and how to deal with it as such.
Pseudobabble

Re: Virtual Reality app for Color Kasina Meditation

Post by Pseudobabble »

Yes, I'm rather tired of seeing Buddhist or any spiritual practices treated as though they were 'lifestyle additions'. People don't seem to realise the frankly quite frightening (to our ordinary culture) implications of progressing far along the path.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

I made a colour kasina out of an old round chopping board, and painted it blue. :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Pseudobabble wrote:Yes, I'm rather tired of seeing Buddhist or any spiritual practices treated as though they were 'lifestyle additions'. People don't seem to realise the frankly quite frightening (to our ordinary culture) implications of progressing far along the path.
Verily so.

The apps sounds cool though!

:ugeek:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"Why now do you assume 'a being'? Mara, have you grasped a view?" (SN 5.10)

"Overcome the liar by truth." (Dhp 223)
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

retrofuturist wrote: The apps sounds cool though!
I don't have an i-phone and am not familiar with kasina meditation but I think if I were to do kasina meditation the last thing I'd want to do after staring at a screen all day at work would be to do it on a screen. Meditation is a welcome refuge from screen time of all kinds.
Alexander____

Post by Alexander____ »

Goofaholix wrote:Yes that article id pretty Mills and Boonish, whenever I've heard teachers talking about it it is in terms of the experience being a hindrence and how to deal with it as such.

You'll never find true love through VR!

Only through Samatha Romance will you reach the stability of mind to get the insight needed for true love.

VR is not a method anyway it's the fruits you get from...

...ok this joke can only go so far

:focus:
azyraphale

Post by azyraphale »

Nice! Is an Android app on the cards?
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

I'd be interested to hear from anyone with colour kasina practice what approach/method they use, as I haven't found anyone off-line to ask ( not many people do it as far as I'm aware ).

I read somewhere it is useful to repeat the name of the colour, eg "blue"?
Buddha save me from new-agers!
rang-rig

Post by rang-rig »

azyraphale wrote:Nice! Is an Android app on the cards?
Thanks. If there is significant interest I'd be happy to put effort in building an Android version. But thus far the iOS app have been downloaded barely 100 times, so I suspect that this app is not of use to many.