Levitation during meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
confusedlayman

Re: Levitation during meditation

Post by confusedlayman »

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:16 pm Physics-wise, No one can levitate, whosoever it was/is/will be, under ordinary natural everyday environment.

"dhamma-wise", every imaginable as well as unimaginable state can happen.
physics is assumption based

physics theory get debunked easily over many years .. we need to beleive in middle way

I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
form

Post by form »

He can walk on water, go in and out of the ground as he wishes, fly like a bird in the air....... something like these in the Vishiddhimagga?
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

It is common to start training in telekinesis by balancing a piece of aluminum foil on the tip of a needle. It is safe to say most people give up before it moves. Lifting anything is advanced. Levitation would be amazing. All you need to do is make a piece of aluminum foil twitch to prove to yourself that you used your mind to affect matter.
samseva

Post by samseva »

samsarictravelling wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:33 pm Image

...author's and photographer's assurances of "total absence of any tricking"...
samsarictravelling wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:52 am
SarathW wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:50 am What this guy keep his hand is the steel post supporting him.
Or else, In general, the guy is so physically light from the trance, that he can keep himself in the air with just a little help of supporting himself with a stick. The trance makes himself "light as a feather". As to him being able to stay in the air without a stick or not, he is still very light -- "light as a feather" -- from the trance.

[...]

Oldest trick in the book:

3F0886BC-E79A-4B94-BE74-C2C21D3F384C.jpeg
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

form wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:32 am He can walk on water, go in and out of the ground as he wishes, fly like a bird in the air....... something like these in the Vishiddhimagga?
yes its possible but of no consequence to enlightment.

only powers used for enlightment is recollection of past lives and divine eye to see karma

other things are just fancy
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

Imagine you levitating every day during meditation. Then an invisible demon starts following you around threatening your life if you don't levitate on command. This is the reason many Buddhists don't talk of having Mystic Powers, or when having them accessible, don't use them at all, or keep them hidden. Otherwise you may end up like Kylo Ren in Star Wars throwing people against the wall in pretend feats of anger, or Darth Vader having to Force Choke His own friends. The good Mystic Powers are for the right reasons, so don't let go of your need for Enlightenment ahead of the path of showing yourself off as being too lofty :smile: .

:jedi:
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
samseva

Post by samseva »

And what is the demonstration of psychic power? It’s a mendicant who wields the many kinds of psychic power:
[...]

Seeing this drawback in psychic power, I’m horrified, repelled, and disgusted by demonstrations of psychic power.
DN 11
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

samseva wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:00 pm
And what is the demonstration of psychic power? It’s a mendicant who wields the many kinds of psychic power:
[...]

Seeing this drawback in psychic power, I’m horrified, repelled, and disgusted by demonstrations of psychic power.
DN 11
Very perfect Sutta. I don't see a problem with Buddhist Monks developing these kinds of abilities, but to show them off is what the Buddha is clearly against, His mission and ours should be to preach the Dharma, so in that way when Healing someone or getting over a mountain, or telling your friend with your mind how much you Love them may be useful, it would be completely foolish to display such feats in public, especially in order to bewilder others with them or for cheap adoration.

Also in that Sutta with Brahma, now that I know Buddha's answer, won't I be able to tell it to others if asked the same question? :rofl:

Here it is, for others:
In the same way, after failing to get an answer to this question even after searching as far as the Brahmā realm, you’ve returned to me. Mendicant, this is not how the question should be asked: “Sir, where do these four primary elements cease without anything left over, namely, the elements of earth, water, fire, and air?”

This is how the question should be asked:

“Where do water and earth,
fire and air find no footing;
where do long and short,
fine and coarse, beautiful and ugly;
where do name and form
cease with nothing left over?”

And the answer to that is:

“Consciousness that’s invisible,
infinite, radiant all round.
Here’s where water and earth,

here’s where long and short,
here’s where name and form
cease with nothing left over—
with the cessation of consciousness,
that’s where this ceases.”’”

That is what the Buddha said. Satisfied, the householder Kevaddha was happy with what the Buddha said.
The Buddha is truly the Greatest Sage.

Sadhu! Sadhu! Sadhu!
Last edited by Mahabrahma on Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Dhammapada.
samseva

Post by samseva »

In the Kevaddha Sutta, the Buddha does use a psychic power, but the sutta itself isn't about psychic powers at all. Whatever meanings regarding psychic powers you attach to it are your own.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

It's just that developing the mind is such a large part of Buddhism, but I understand where you are coming from and you have the right intentions.

-Dhammapada.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Mahabrahma wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:12 pm
samseva wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:00 pm
[...]

DN 11
Very perfect Sutta. I don't see a problem with Buddhist Monks developing these kinds of abilities, but to show them off is what the Buddha is clearly against, His mission and ours should be to preach the Dharma, so in that way when Healing someone or getting over a mountain, or telling your friend with your mind how much you Love them may be useful, it would be completely foolish to display such feats in public, especially in order to bewilder others with them or for cheap adoration.

Also in that Sutta with Brahma, now that I know Buddha's answer, won't I be able to tell it to others if asked the same question? :rofl:

Here it is, for others:
In the same way, after failing to get an answer to this question even after searching as far as the Brahmā realm, you’ve returned to me. Mendicant, this is not how the question should be asked: “Sir, where do these four primary elements cease without anything left over, namely, the elements of earth, water, fire, and air?”

This is how the question should be asked:

“Where do water and earth,
where do long and short,
where do name and form
cease with nothing left over?”

And the answer to that is:

“Consciousness that’s invisible,
infinite, radiant all round.
Here’s where water and earth,

here’s where long and short,
here’s where name and form
cease with nothing left over—
with the cessation of consciousness,
that’s where this ceases.”’”

That is what the Buddha said. Satisfied, the householder Kevaddha was happy with what the Buddha said.
The Buddha is truly the Greatest Sage.

Sadhu! Sadhu! Sadhu!
there is no way neuroscientist will understand psycic power using scientific tools... they are doing impossible things and wasting federal funding or other funding
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

confusedlayman wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:19 pm there is no way neuroscientist will understand psycic power using scientific tools... they are doing impossible things and wasting federal funding or other funding
There is certain technology that is secretly being used by higher governmental officials that passes for telepathy for example, but ultimately real inner communication is something of the mind's very essence, who we are, and that can bring us to communicate with plants, bugs, animals, and even the life in the atoms, not only other human beings. Psychic powers are something all people possess, it is just that they are hidden deep within the minds of most people so they do not experience distress or psychic attack or some sort of betrayal.

-Dhammapada.