Kasina Practitioners

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
truthseeker135

Kasina Practitioners

Post by truthseeker135 »

Hello, recently I have picked up white kasina meditation. I decided to try it after watching a video on youtube of a Thai Ajahn talking about practicing it. I have been having a lot more success with this method then I have with anapanasati.I feel a lot more comfortable with it and I can hold the meditation for a lot longer than anapanasati. I want to know if anyone here has any experience with kasina meditation and has any advice for the practicing it.
Here's the link to the youtube video:
Ceisiwr

Re: Kasina Practitioners

Post by Ceisiwr »

truthseeker135 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:37 pm Hello, recently I have picked up white kasina meditation. I decided to try it after watching a video on youtube of a Thai Ajahn talking about practicing it. I have been having a lot more success with this method then I have with anapanasati.I feel a lot more comfortable with it and I can hold the meditation for a lot longer than anapanasati. I want to know if anyone here has any experience with kasina meditation and has any advice for the practicing it.

Hey,

Which venerable was that and what method do you use? How do you do it?
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
truthseeker135

Post by truthseeker135 »

Ceisiwr wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:38 pm
truthseeker135 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:37 pm Hello, recently I have picked up white kasina meditation. I decided to try it after watching a video on youtube of a Thai Ajahn talking about practicing it. I have been having a lot more success with this method then I have with anapanasati.I feel a lot more comfortable with it and I can hold the meditation for a lot longer than anapanasati. I want to know if anyone here has any experience with kasina meditation and has any advice for the practicing it.

Hey,

Which venerable was that and what method do you use? How do you do it?
Luang Phu Bunyarit. I haven't found much information on him besides that collection of videos. I did manage to find out that he was in Australia for some time and he was a student of Luang Phu Chob. Luang Phu Chob has a whole chapter dedicated to him in Luangta Maha Bua's Patipada book, but no mention of Ajahn Bunyarit. As for my practice I looked up a picture of a white circle and made a 1hr long video with it. I just stare at the kasina repeating the mantra odata( white in pali) in my head while looking at the kasina. That's about it for now. I just started which is why I was looking for more experienced practitioners who could give some advice and tips. But from what I've learned so far the practice seems fairly simple, just stare until a nimitta arises.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Hi, I think u need to be on 1st jhana boundary or after one pointed stillness of mind and then think of any image, it pops exactly as it is without effort but I’m not sure. Enter access concentration and fixed oncentratin, when ur mind is still and about to enter jhana, think anything it will come. I never tried it but it might work.
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I have practiced Blue Kasina using a blue disc for a very short time.
Not much success.
I did not have much luck with breath meditation (sitting) due to my back ache.
Now I do walking meditation with some success.
Please note that Kasina is only a Samatha practice.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
truthseeker135

Post by truthseeker135 »

Yes I think you're right CL you have to be in some form of deep concentration before the nimitta arises, but looking at the physical kasina can get you to that concentration level and since you are already thinking about the kasina as soon as your mind reaches the concentration level necessary for nimittas the kasina nimitta will arise. Sarath I am aware that kasina is samatha meditation. I only practice it while sitting. I find repetition of buddho/anapanasati useful to maintain sati throughout the day and in walking meditation but whenever I sit with my breath my mind doesn't calm down so I use the kasina instead.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

I think it depends on the person. I think in the vissudhimagga it says something about different kasinas and techniques being for people of different temperaments. Personally i sometimes switch between kasina meditation and anapanasati meditation depending on how im feeling, i find both of them work well for me but it depends on how im feeling. If im already feeling relaxed and clear minded generally have better experiences with kasina meditation, when im more antsy anapanasati is better for me. Although ill say ive had my best meditations by far using kasina meditation (I use light, or i guess you could say a white or sometimes blue kasina). I think with anapanasati my mind is still sorta "moving" by following the breath or something so I can go deeper with the kasina practice.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

My advice is go with whatever technique you feel is best. The Buddha mentioned multiple meditation techniques for a reason.

For Kasina meditation, if you are having success id say you're probably already doing it right. But the advice i have is relax and dont try too hard to force your mind to concentrate. Set your kasina as a point of focus and then just let it be, keeping your mind focused on the object of meditation with minimal effort so you dont get tense. One of my teachers said to touch the mind to the kasina with just a "feather like touch" and let it happen, if the kasina moves or even changes just let it be and keep going. Another thing i've found helpful is dont feel like you have to do the mantra, if your mind is calm and not racing anymore, you can let the mantra fade away if you find that you are no longer entertaining thoughts in your head without it. Letting the mantra just fade away once the mind is settled and just focusing on the kasina helped me get thru a block in my progress, but this is more toward the later stages of practice where you've tamed the mind well by then. But all in all, if you feel relaxed or happy you're on the right track.

Best of luck! :anjali:

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
truthseeker135

Post by truthseeker135 »

TRobinson465 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:47 am My advice is go with whatever technique you feel is best. The Buddha mentioned multiple meditation techniques for a reason.

For Kasina meditation, if you are having success id say you're probably already doing it right. But the advice i have is relax and dont try too hard to force your mind to concentrate. Set your kasina as a point of focus and then just let it be, keeping your mind focused on the object of meditation with minimal effort so you dont get tense. One of my teachers said to touch the mind to the kasina with just a "feather like touch" and let it happen, if the kasina moves or even changes just let it be and keep going. Another thing i've found helpful is dont feel like you have to do the mantra, if your mind is calm and not racing anymore, you can let the mantra fade away if you find that you are no longer entertaining thoughts in your head without it. Letting the mantra just fade away once the mind is settled and just focusing on the kasina helped me get thru a block in my progress, but this is more toward the later stages of practice where you've tamed the mind well by then. But all in all, if you feel relaxed or happy you're on the right track.

Thank you for your reply. Do you keep eyes open until nimitta arises(obviously blinking when necessary) or do you look for a little and then close your eyes for sometime imagining the kasina until a nimitta arises?
char101

Post by char101 »

The wind kasina can be practiced by skin sensation (with eyes closed), so one can sit in front of a fan and utter, wind, wind. This could be easier to some people. Anapanasati is also technically wind kasina.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

truthseeker135 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:02 pm
TRobinson465 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:47 am My advice is go with whatever technique you feel is best. The Buddha mentioned multiple meditation techniques for a reason.

Thank you for your reply. Do you keep eyes open until nimitta arises(obviously blinking when necessary) or do you look for a little and then close your eyes for sometime imagining the kasina until a nimitta arises?
I close my eyes and just imagine the kasina. I just open my eyes if I find I'm losing focus, in which case I just start over.

confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

By the way, what’s the benifit of doing katsina when breath or metta is easier? Or u find others things difficult? I can’t do kasina as my imagination is weak
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
truthseeker135

Post by truthseeker135 »

Thank you trobinson. CL i think different meditations are suitable for different people. If you find anapanasati successful than there is no need to do kasina, but personally I've found kasina to be easier.
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

I read that Dr Charoon sometimes lead kasina retreats in Europe (Estonia, to be exact).
https://www.sangha.ee/about-us/teachers
truthseeker135

Post by truthseeker135 »

pilgrim wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:44 am I read that Dr Charoon sometimes lead kasina retreats in Europe (Estonia, to be exact).
https://www.sangha.ee/about-us/teachers
Thank you so much. Based on that lead I found an instructional guide by Dr Charoon. This is the link to that guide for anyone interested https://palungjit.org/threads/modern-me ... ly.232773/