Meditation duration

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
zzzzzz

Meditation duration

Post by zzzzzz »

How can we increase the duration of meditation?

Please advise.
SteRo

Re: Meditation duration

Post by SteRo »

Increase duration? Just prolong it.

Maybe you are actually referring to the hindrances for right concentation? These are:
sensual desire
ill-will
sloth and drowsiness
restlessness and worry
doubt
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
zzzzzz

Post by zzzzzz »

SteRo wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:37 pm Increase duration? Just prolong it.

Maybe you are actually referring to the hindrances for right concentation? These are:
sensual desire
ill-will
sloth and drowsiness
restlessness and worry
doubt
I mean i can't continue beyond certain point.
Just get stuck there.
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

zzzzzz wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:40 pm I mean i can't continue beyond certain point.
Just get stuck there.
What point to you expect to reach that is beyond where you find yourself being 'stuck'?

It could be that you are holding yourself back because you are attaching to an idea of a point beyond where you are in the moment, and averse to where you are currently because you feel it represents being stuck.

I find that meditation proceeds best when one is open and accepting to whatever is present. That means not trying to suppress certain states, or trying to encourage others. But just allowing things to be as they are.

This is one of the main reasons I think emphasis on Jhana is dangerous to people learning meditation, especially if they are doing so without guidance. If you are not careful it can lead to ideas that meditation is all about a special state that is different from where you are at, and you are trying to summon that state into existence in meditation. This is a recipe for feelings of frustration and being stuck. Meditation always proceeds from where you are at in the moment, from the cultivation of non-attachment.
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

zzzzzz wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:40 pm
SteRo wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:37 pm Increase duration? Just prolong it.

sensual desire
ill-will
sloth and drowsiness
restlessness and worry
doubt
I mean i can't continue beyond certain point.
Just get stuck there.
This is common in meditation. The best is to stop meditation, relax, breath at ease. But start once again until you feel relaxed. I have undergone this stage. When we are more relaxed we can watch our own mind and sneak through the fetters. I once read that meditation is minding your own mind.
form

Post by form »

Dun force too hard. U will break.
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

You meant "sitting" meditation right ? Actually , meditation extends beyong sitting posture .
You always gain by giving
zzzzzz

Post by zzzzzz »

sentinel wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:13 am You meant "sitting" meditation right ? Actually , meditation extends beyong sitting posture .
Yes... sitting meditation
NuanceOfSuchness

Post by NuanceOfSuchness »

Laurens wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:05 pm
zzzzzz wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:40 pm I mean i can't continue beyond certain point.
Just get stuck there.
What point to you expect to reach that is beyond where you find yourself being 'stuck'?

It could be that you are holding yourself back because you are attaching to an idea of a point beyond where you are in the moment, and averse to where you are currently because you feel it represents being stuck.

I find that meditation proceeds best when one is open and accepting to whatever is present. That means not trying to suppress certain states, or trying to encourage others. But just allowing things to be as they are.

This is one of the main reasons I think emphasis on Jhana is dangerous to people learning meditation, especially if they are doing so without guidance. If you are not careful it can lead to ideas that meditation is all about a special state that is different from where you are at, and you are trying to summon that state into existence in meditation. This is a recipe for feelings of frustration and being stuck. Meditation always proceeds from where you are at in the moment, from the cultivation of non-attachment.
:goodpost:
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Just think of the causes that cut your sitting session short. For example, if you are sitting in a painful/uncomfortable posture, then your endurance of pain will not last very long. Also avoiding distractions like a family member or a friend interrupting your meditation session would help you sitting longer.

Whenever there are causes to avoid, there are causes to pursue. If your goal is to sit for a long time, and that gives satisfaction and sense of achievement, then setting an alarm that incrementaly prolong your meditation session from previous ones would give you a motivation to challenge yourself and sit until that alarm goes off. Also choosing a meditation object that your enjoy would enable you to last longer.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

(assuming that the technique is correct)

Persistent effort. Patience.
Over time, as you train yourself to stay continuously aware of things arising and passing away, the underlying tendencies will reveal themselves.
Abandon craving for things to be different.
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

I used to meditate for a short time because of leg numbness, but I solved this using those stretches: http://zenmontpellier.net/eng/lotus/lotuseng.html

Now I can easily sit for hours if I want without any numbness or pain. :smile:

If you are concentrating on your meditation object you'll not even notice the passage of time.

I would recommend starting with 20 minutes. Each day, increase 5 minutes every sit. Within 8 days you will be meditating for 1 hour! Is not it amazing?

Hope it helps.
With metta.
Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
zzzzzz

Post by zzzzzz »

Bundokji wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:27 pm Just think of the causes that cut your sitting session short. For example, if you are sitting in a painful/uncomfortable posture, then your endurance of pain will not last very long. Also avoiding distractions like a family member or a friend interrupting your meditation session would help you sitting longer.

Whenever there are causes to avoid, there are causes to pursue. If your goal is to sit for a long time, and that gives satisfaction and sense of achievement, then setting an alarm that incrementaly prolong your meditation session from previous ones would give you a motivation to challenge yourself and sit until that alarm goes off. Also choosing a meditation object that your enjoy would enable you to last longer.
There's no discomfort, no pain, nobody to distract...
Yes im quite comfortable with the meditation object which is breath.

Its just that after a certain point i just cannot continue....
zzzzzz

Post by zzzzzz »

zzzzzz wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:23 pm
Bundokji wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:27 pm Just think of the causes that cut your sitting session short. For example, if you are sitting in a painful/uncomfortable posture, then your endurance of pain will not last very long. Also avoiding distractions like a family member or a friend interrupting your meditation session would help you sitting longer.

There's no discomfort, no pain, nobody to distract...
Yes im quite comfortable with the meditation object which is breath.

Its just that after a certain point i just cannot continue....
I think it's to do with the stamina....
So what can be done about that???
zzzzzz

Post by zzzzzz »

sunnat wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:55 pm (assuming that the technique is correct)

Persistent effort. Patience.
Over time, as you train yourself to stay continuously aware of things arising and passing away, the underlying tendencies will reveal themselves.
Abandon craving for things to be different.
What according to you is the right technique???

Effort is there...i give it my best
What do you mean by "abandon........ different"??